Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would hope Dubas pursues Keefe to be an associate coach, but I can pretty clearly see why Sullivan would massively fight that. Keefe being added to the staff would be a clear “we have your replacement, don’t f*** up” move directed at Sullivan, which I think they should do but Sullivan will absolutely not react well to it.

That’s actually why I think Dubas won’t go after Keefe as an assistant. I think he should, frankly he should be willing to fire Sullivan and replace him with Keefe but even bringing him on as an assistant is good. But I think Dubas realizes that Sullivan wasn’t happy about Dubas firing Rierden, and adding Keefe on top of that may cause even larger issues.
Or, maybe Dubas should just fire Sullivan…do we have to be the only team whose failed coach after 7 seasons can’t win a playoff series/get into the playoffs and still be retained? …

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or, maybe Dubas should just fire Sullivan…do we have to be the only team whose failed coach after 7 seasons can’t win a playoff series/get into the playoffs and still be retained? …

You know that we can talk about what Dubas will likely do instead of complaining about what he should do, right?

I said in my post that Dubas should fire Sullivan for Keefe, he should be willing to do that. But I was talking about what Dubas will likely do.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Speaking about the local media really defending Sullivan lol…yes, change is what they need, badly…

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Keefe or Cooper would be genuinely intriguing here.

...but literally anyone beside what we've had for far too long will do. Those two would be sure-fire upgrades, everything/anyone else would just help change the scenery of utter losers. Sullivan is heading to Matt Murray levels of falling off. If NJ gets goaltending this Summer, I think our days in the playoffs are all but over for the next 7-10 years.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Keefe's kinda a doofus but I'm certain Sullivan is. :laugh:

I imagine Dubas will approach Keefe with the "wanna spend a year in WBS learning the organization and if/when Sullivan f***s up again, I'll fire his ass and name you coach of the Pens?" offer in the coming days.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'll be surprised if Keefe doesnt come here as an assistant coach. I cant imagine him being up for any head coach positions right now.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would hope Dubas pursues Keefe to be an associate coach, but I can pretty clearly see why Sullivan would massively fight that. Keefe being added to the staff would be a clear “we have your replacement, don’t f*** up” move directed at Sullivan, which I think they should do but Sullivan will absolutely not react well to it.

That’s actually why I think Dubas won’t go after Keefe as an assistant. I think he should, frankly he should be willing to fire Sullivan and replace him with Keefe but even bringing him on as an assistant is good. But I think Dubas realizes that Sullivan wasn’t happy about Dubas firing Rierden, and adding Keefe on top of that may cause even larger issues.
Sullivan should worry about Sullivan and coaching this team and make the playoffs. It's beyond hilarious how he can't get us to the playoffs.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not saying he's the perfect coach, but I would be careful about pinning their postseason futility solely on him.
I would also caution thinking a coach is good due to a strong regular season record having a top 2/3 core of skilled forwards.

Anyone who came up with the handshake line respect thing and said it to the press is suspect. One of the dumbest things ever said by an NHL coach.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I would also caution thinking a coach is good due to a strong regular season record having a top 2/3 core of skilled forwards.

Anyone who came up with the handshake line respect thing and said it to the press is suspect. One of the dumbest things ever said by an NHL coach.

That is the one concern I have about him. He cracked under pressure - both on the bench and in front of the media.

Is he as good as the record implies? Probably not. However, I think people are selling him short in light of the playoff failures.

Reactions: SomeDude

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Going to be very interesting to see what happens with Keefe. Does the league consider him to be a candidate for an open head coaching job? Would San Jose like the fact that he's worked well with young players with the Marlies? Would Seattle like his preferred style of play with their depth?

Is he willing to be an assistant coach? He's never been one at the CHL, AHL, or NHL level. He was an assistant back in Junior A for one season on a team he owned and later became the head coach of.

Being an assistant is a very different dynamic and role than being the head coach, and being an assistant under Sullivan could be less appealing. Will Keefe have a voice or will he be tuned out?

Would he prefer going back to the AHL level for a year or two? Travel sucks, but the pressure isn't nearly as high. It's where he's had the most success.

Pittsburgh is an obvious landing spot, but it'll be interesting to see how Keefe plays this.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
That is the one concern I have about him. He cracked under pressure - both on the bench and in front of the media.

Is he as good as the record implies? Probably not. However, I think people are selling him short in light of the playoff failures.
If we’re honest, it’s just cathartic to dunk on the Leafs any chance you can given having to deal with their fans on HFboards.

I don’t want him mostly because it will show that Dubas hasn’t learned from his past and is still more interested in surrounding himself with his buddies and anyone who has spent 5 minutes through the SOO.

Reactions: BHD and Andy99

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Keefe as a replacement for Reirden makes a lot of sense, but I also imagine there are teams that would offer him a head coaching position based on his stellar regular-season record. Time will tell.

Reactions: BHD

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Keefe as a replacement for Reirden makes a lot of sense, but I also imagine there are teams that would offer him a head coaching position based on his stellar regular-season record. Time will tell.
He needs to be scooped up, I want him here with US!

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad