Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Instead of simply getting Sullivan out from behind the bench and putting him in another decision making role (FO), how about we just kick that f***ing loser to the curb cuz he sucks shit? :laugh:

God, I can not wait to see him absolutely suck ass with another franchise.

I dunno. I think it's probably pretty simple. I think management and ownership are largely just shrugging their way through all of this. At worst Dubas maybe went to Sullivan and was like "So I was thinking in regards to your staff..." before he was interrupted with a flat "NO" and then just tucked tail, said "yes sir please don't tell ownership sir" and went back to burning hundred dollar bills and laughing or whatever it is Dubas does.

I think that this franchise thinks Mike Sullivan's a good coach and it's obvious a lot of other people feel the same.

It's Dan Bylsma all over again..

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think that this franchise thinks Mike Sullivan's a good coach and it's obvious a lot of other people feel the same.

Yeah but it's just SO difficult for me to grasp. Those Cups were a while ago, now. An eternity in sports years. I get that some easy marks that only read the likes of Yohe or whatever are sucked in. But how has his rep held up league wide amongst actual hockey people? He hasn't won shit in a LONG time and in fact his coaching record is kinda downright bad outside those two seasons. What is it they see? Hell Dan Bylsma often did more with less! And he's... not so great.

This league actually is dumb as rocks, isn't it?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah but it's just SO difficult for me to grasp. Those Cups were a while ago, now. An eternity in sports years. I get that some easy marks that only read the likes of Yohe or whatever are sucked in. But how has his rep held up league wide amongst actual hockey people? He hasn't won shit in a LONG time and in fact his coaching record is kinda downright bad outside those two seasons. What is it they see? Hell Dan Bylsma often did more with less! And he's... not so great.

This league actually is dumb as rocks, isn't it?
Torts has coached for decades winning one Cup 20 years ago. Hitchcock did the same. Ruff's only made the Finals once, 25 years ago, and still gets work. Laviolette's been around forever and hasn't won shit since Sid first entered the league. It's actually a testament to how squirrelbrained Bylsma was that he won a Cup and had decent RS success and has tumbled down to toiling away riding buses in the AHL nowadays.

Any hint of success gets you some crazy leash, and despite Sully showing he was more a case of right place, right time, he won back to back Cups so I assume he's just got carte blanche wherever he goes until he decides he's done with the NHL.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Oh sure. Like he's allowed.

It's wild to think that we gave Dubas more money than any other player or asset currently is owed by this franchsie and he doesn't have that power.

Right? If push came to shove, FSG loves Sully but would side with the guy they just groveled at the feet of and handed a near decade-long contract and full autonomy to.

Hey Kyle, do something or shut the f*** up you goddamn nerd. :laugh:

I wish he was a nerd. He seems like he's just Ron Hextall without the actual playing experience.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I definitely think Dubas has full power to do whatever he wants, including fire Sullivan if it came to it. I also think the sad reality is that he wants to keep Sullivan around as much as FSG or anyone else.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pssssst *whispers*

It's because they don't know what the f*** they're doing

I mean, they've clearly known what they were doing in two other sports.

Something is just weird here.

And the weird to me is Kyle Dubas just seems like a shit GM. His team is getting absolutely eviscerated in Toronto. He won one playoff round. His favorite coach is legit on TV looking like he is about to cry.

It just all goes back to him IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nah, I think like I added this is 100% on Kyle Dubas just being a shit manager.

I don't actually believe that. And I don't want meddling ownership to be clear. But let's just say their reputation thus far is MUCH different than reality.

As for Dubas... I mean... it's looking more likely you (and others) are on to something with each passing week. Getting tough to deny. It's not all bad but it's a big job and he's not looking up to the task so far. We needed more of a man of action and less one that is content to "evaluate" for seasons at a time while Sid's last good years slip on by.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't actually believe that. And I don't want meddling ownership to be clear. But let's just say their reputation thus far is MUCH different than reality.

As for Dubas... I mean... it's looking more likely you (and others) are on to something with each passing week. Getting tough to deny.

If you are going to bring back the coaching staff. Just do it. Don't do this weird convulted process.

The only thing I've heard that makes any sense to how we've handled the last year is that Dubas is basically just being optical about thinking this team is a "contender" and is attempting to basically force the hand on the franchise stars and now seemingly the coach into a rebuild.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't understand why FSG would give Dubas $35 million only to tell him he can't fire the coach. And no, I don't mean that as in "they're just morons", I mean that as in "FSG wouldn't give that kind of money to a guy and then hamstring him by forcing him him to keep a coach happy".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If you are going to bring back the coaching staff. Just do it. Don't do this weird convulted process.

The only thing I've heard that makes any sense to how we've handled the last year is that Dubas is basically just being optical about thinking this team is a "contender" and is attempting to basically force the hand on the franchise stars and now seemingly the coach into a rebuild.

If that's true what a waste and what a disservice to the fanbase and the PLAYERS (not the coach) that have won this team everything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I mean, the coach and the franchise stars are a major reason why this team didn't make the playoffs last year. Maybe they should be doing better jobs if they don't want to be pushed into a rebuild :dunno:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, the coach and the franchise stars are a major reason why this team didn't make the playoffs last year. Maybe they should be doing better jobs if they don't want to be pushed into a rebuild :dunno:

You can't rebuild this team with Crosby and Malkin. It's not going to work.

If you optically get Sullivan to leave the team of his own accord then you potentially have that same path for Sid and Malkin next season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You can't rebuild this team with Crosby and Malkin. It's not going to work.

If you optically get Sullivan to leave the team of his own accord then you potentially have that same path for Sid and Malkin next season.

Why can't you?

A "rebuild" doesn't have to mean "trade every single asset worth a damn and bottom out into a 40 point team".

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I would be positively gleeful if they were pushed into a rebuild instead of another X amount of years of this circling the drain bullshit. People constantly talk about doing right by Sid and Geno; maybe at this point that means ripping off the band-aid and letting reality set in. If they want out, which I seriously doubt they would, let 'em spend their last couple of years as NHLers however they want instead of here, where the onus is on chasing the Ellers, the Tanevs, the McGinns, the Carters, the Nietos, the Acciaris of the world instead of doing their damnedest to make sure both scoring lines have the support they need at this age.

Again, Sid and Geno won't ask out if they started dismantling things around them (don't really care about Letang tbh). Mario plodded around the ice on an absolute bottom of the barrel team, Sid and Geno can (and should) too until the rebuild begins in earnest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad