[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Nope not "rational" anything simply disputing some of these "assets" we gave up which were few.

As I already mentioned the Kesler trade is a bad example (agreed, we didn't get enough for him) but he literally handed the team a grenade with the pin pulled and made demands. When a GM is in that position they rarely win (ask Ottawa).

I actually agree with a lot of what you commented on, the fact we need a solid Defence to compete - this current crop is terrible but who are all these top-4 D that are being missed out on? High end D FAs don't typically sign with rebuilding teams so have to do it the hard way by drafting or trading for low end depth players that MIGHT turn into something decent.

Glad we can find middle ground.
I genuinely think that Benning's inability to bring in top 4 defenseman hurts the team. Look at the players Benning has targeted and they all kind of fallen flat.

The most we've given up in assets we have targeted Sbisa and Gudbranson. These are not the type of defenders we need and people knew that going into those trades. As for top-4 D that Benning has targeted in FA, we know he was in on the Alzner

I think it really comes down to the idea that the Canucks NEED someone who can find good defenseman and I do not think Benning can do that based on his past pedigree of bringing in defenseman and defenseman he is reportedly targeting.

Reactions: MS and geebaan

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
What kind of production were you expecting from a 19 year old averaging 12.5 minutes per game in his rookie season?
He started October chipping in with 5 goals and then scored 4 more the rest of the year including 2 in November and December when the playoff pack separates. The team likely saw a player that can score in the early season but faltered when the pressure of regular season play kicked in.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
This thread was largely an overreaction (I admit I’m guilty here) to Travis Green discouraging our players from retaliating on Matheson’s hit on Petey. Now that I’ve mostly cooled off and think about the job Travis Green has done I’m satisfied and very happy with the progress he’s made with some of our young players like Nick Goldobin and Jake Virtanen. He shouldn’t be fired, I think he’s one of the better coaches around to grow with such a young team and I think there’s a good chance he wins Jack Adams in his career. I love the way he has our boys playing, the effort he has them putting in, and how he lets them be creative offensively and how exciting the team plays. If I could I would apologize directly to Green for getting mad at him earlier. I’m starting to really like him as a coach.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I didn’t even mention Gudbranson. But yes, he sucks.

We have 2 quality defenders in the organization. One is 33 by the end of the season and a pending UFA. The other is injury prone and will probably be dealt in the next year or so before he leaves as a UFA.

We have one very good defensive prospect, who is 5’9 160 and probably going to have major defensive issues when he turns pro next year. Our only other defensive prospect who is remotely close to the NHL is just a complete mess defensively in the AHL right now.

There is nothing in Utica. The best defender down there is Dylan Blujus, who doesn’t even have a Canucks contract.

This is the definition of a complete mess, and is going to get worse before it gets better if/when Edler and Tanev depart.

And this is what happens when your braindead GM who can’t evaluate talent goes 5 years without bringing a quality defender info the organization. And this franchise isn’t going to turn a corner and isn’t trending up when the blueline is in this state.

And yes, we got Pettersson by accident.
Hey come on MS give my boy Hutton some credit here :(

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Wow, it was intended as a joke but you realize “the guy drafted ahead”...who we kept...is on pace for a decent season and McCann is still stuck in neutral...lol.
Amazing that a player drafted 6th overall is progressing better than one that was drafted 24th overall (though the later still has more points to date) - not to mention one has an "easier role" [winger vs center]. Better to be in neutral than have a player that is quicksand (Guds). It isn't a Virtanen vs McCann question; it's a McCann vs a $4+ million dollar injury prone #6 D. LOL indeed.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Amazing that a player drafted 6th overall is progressing better than one that was drafted 24th overall (though the later still has more points to date) - not to mention one has an "easier role" [winger vs center]. Better to be in neutral than have a player that is quicksand (Guds). It isn't a Virtanen vs McCann question; it's a McCann vs a $4+ million dollar injury prone #6 D. LOL indeed.

We are now comparing Guddy to McCann...that is like arguing over brands of light beer when they are both crap.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
We are now comparing Guddy to McCann...that is like arguing over brands of light beer when they are both crap.
You can say that now, but at the time McCann was not crap. Certainly Benning did not see it that way.
Benning: Hemmed and hawed over trading McCann - NEWS 1130

"I really believe that McCann will be a top 6 forward in this league."
So to Benning he had given up a young 20 year old future top 6 forward for Gudbranson. That's the value he placed in McCann, which would be higher than a regular 24th overall pick. Plus on top of that we gave up the 33rd overall pick, which is basically a 1st rounder.

Really, we did give up a whole of a hell lot in that trade for Gudbranson. I'm sure if Benning was better at evaluating defenseman we could have gotten a better defenseman than Gudbranson.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
So to Benning he had given up a young 20 year old future top 6 forward for Gudbranson.
Thanks for the link a good listen and certainly supports your assessment well. The rationale he used was "we have depth at centre and felt it was worth it for a young top-4 D".

At the time we had Hank, Horvat and Sutter so I see the logic but agree that if you are going to pull of this move make it an actual Top-4 D. On paper who wouldn't take a chance on a 6'5" young D just next time check if he can skate and pass.

Of all the reasons we could be making for Benning doing a bad job this is lower on the radar IMO...Eriksson signing is number one, drafting OJ over Tkachuk, JV over Nylander, long term deals for 4th line players Schaller/Rousel/Beagle, not getting anything for Hamhuis...there are plenty. We just all forgot because of EP fever (place myself in that category).

The draft picks are difficult to argue since we have no way of knowing which player we would have taken...rumour has it JB was high on Debricant and if that is true...ouch.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He started October chipping in with 5 goals and then scored 4 more the rest of the year including 2 in November and December when the playoff pack separates. The team likely saw a player that can score in the early season but faltered when the pressure of regular season play kicked in.

Doesn't say much about Gaudette who can't even produce before the pressure of regular season play kicked in

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Is Gaudette being developed as a top-6 forward?

Is McCann a top-6 or bust player? He's been playing in a bottom 6 role in the NHL for a while now.

Gaudette's production doesn't even cut it for a 3rd liner guy. Your point was about a player's scoring drying up in his rookie season and Gaudette has never shown to be anything but a desert.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Just thought I’d bump this to see if recent play has changed anyone’s mind.
In my mind, he’s the glue that holds this fragile team together at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad