Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There is no excuse for us to have a bad power play.

Kessel PPP rank (NHL F):
Since 18-19: 4th
Since 17-18: 2nd
Since 16-17: 2nd
Since 15-16: 2nd
Since 14-15: 3rd (410gp)

OEL PPP rank (NHL D):
Since 18-19: 13th
Since 17-18: 18th
Since 16-17: 12th
Since 15-16: 12th
Since 14-15: 10th (399gp)

Our top PP unit has the 10th best NHL D for PP production over the last half decade and the 3rd best NHL F for PP production over the last half decade.

How can we manage to have a trash PP?

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Didn’t say anything about feeling good about it.

Just pointed out that exaggerating reality to make some sort of statement is unnecessary.

Just like what you’ve done above.

It's not an exaggeration to say the PP is incredibly bad and borderline unprofessional.

There's a lot of things people should be a little more kumbaya with, but the PP ain't one of them.

I was not kidding when I said relieve whomever is responsible for the PP and call up John Slaney. He was a prolific AHL scorer from the blueline and the Roadrunners are good on the PP.

Reactions: zerekstar

rt

May 13, 2004
Housley spent four years in Nashville as an assistant. Over that time the Preds PP converted at 18.5%. Which is exactly middle-of-the-pack production. Seems like we have at least an average PP coach. Someone who’s at least competent. We’ve got an elite PP forward and an elite PP defenseman. There are only five guys on the damn top unit. 40% of them are elite (top 3 and top 10 respectively). How is it that we suck at this? How is it that we aren’t at least middle of the road?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Housley spent four years in Nashville as an assistant. Over that time the Preds PP converted at 18.5%. Which is exactly middle-of-the-pack production. Seems like we have at least an average PP coach. Someone who’s at least competent. We’ve got an elite PP forward and an elite PP defenseman. There are only five guys on the damn top unit. 40% of them are elite (top 3 and top 10 respectively). How is it that we suck at this? How is it that we aren’t at least middle of the road?

They can't even establish possession in the o zone and when they do they have no set plays and don't know how to rotate. It looks like they didn't practice it at all or have no guidance, or some combination of both. They are quite literally more lethal down a man.

rt

May 13, 2004
They can't even establish possession in the o zone and when they do they have no set plays and don't know how to rotate. It looks like they didn't practice it at all or have no guidance, or some combination of both. They are quite literally more lethal down a man.
Made sense under MacLean. The PP% of his teams had ALWAYS been shockingly abysmal and it’s beyond me that he has been able to continue getting jobs. Shockingly bad hire from a PP standpoint. Maybe he’s great with the guys and is a good forwards coach. But he’s a toxic waste dump to a power play.

But Housley is completely passable in this regard. He’s fine. I truly do not get it. Are they just getting all the MacLean washed off? Is that stain still there?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Made sense under MacLean. The PP% of his teams had ALWAYS been shockingly abysmal and it’s beyond me that he has been able to continue getting jobs. Shockingly bad hire from a PP standpoint. Maybe he’s great with the guys and is a good forwards coach. But he’s a toxic waste dump to a power play.

But Housley is completely passable in this regard. He’s fine. I truly do not get it. Are they just getting all the MacLean washed off? Is that stain still there?

The 2nd unit looked better than the 1st in the preseason. Seems like a seriousness/practice issue more than anything. They look like they are completely winging it out there most of the time. So if they're being fed average at best tactics and ignoring parts or all of it, it's not going to go well.

You can tell how well coached a PP is by how quick decisions are and how much guys move off the puck. The guy with the puck is irrelevant. Everyone else has to move around him, because goals in this league are scored now from quick shots off passes, redirects, and screens. If a goalie has a half second or more to set up, the chance of scoring falls off a cliff.

Fast decisions = good PP.

rt

May 13, 2004
The 2nd unit looked better than the 1st in the preseason. Seems like a seriousness/practice issue more than anything. They look like they are completely winging it out there most of the time. So if they're being fed average at best tactics and ignoring parts or all of it, it's not going to go well.

You can tell how well coached a PP is by how quick decisions are and how much guys move off the puck. The guy with the puck is irrelevant. Everyone else has to move around him, because goals in this league are scored now from quick shots off passes, redirects, and screens. If a goalie has a half second or more to set up, the chance of scoring falls off a cliff.

Fast decisions = good PP.
At least on the first unit, there’s at least a 50% chance that if a Coyote has the puck, it’s a guy who’s an elite PP producer (Kessel or OEL). And yet...crickets...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
At least on the first unit, there’s at least a 50% chance that if a Coyote has the puck, it’s a guy who’s an elite PP producer (Kessel or OEL). And yet...crickets...

It doesn't matter. It's like trying to do improv with no chemistry. Adding Kessel may have just made it worse by everyone looking to him to be the facilitator instead of just playing their game.

The correlation between a strong PP and strong coaching is much higher than raw talent. There have been many bad teams that are good at the PP.

rt

May 13, 2004
It doesn't matter. It's like trying to do improv with no chemistry. Adding Kessel may have just made it worse by everyone looking to him to be the facilitator instead of just playing their game.

The correlation between a strong PP and strong coaching is much higher than raw talent. There have been many bad teams that are good at the PP.
Sure. But I’m not talking about raw talent. I’m talking about specific PP production from these two specific guys over the last 400+ NHL games.

Housley himself has a good track-record anyway. Obviously he knew how to help the Preds be at least decent on the PP and in those days, they were all about D.

Maybe it’s just a matter of time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Sure. But I’m not talking about raw talent. I’m talking about specific PP production from these two specific guys over the last 400+ NHL games.

Housley himself has a good track-record anyway. Obviously he knew how to help the Preds be at least decent on the PP and in those days, they were all about D.

Maybe it’s just a matter of time.
We have good enough PP players, they just are not producing yet. Coaches aren’t changing this year, not sure that is the problem. Time and cohesion will make it much better, can’t get worse right:)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Devils and Stars are really bad, they might be looking to make a move.

List of guys that had better xGA/60 than Hammer last season:

Pateryn
Fantenberg
Brodin
Simek
Merrill
Fedun
Parayko
D.Toews
Carlo
Dillon
Kulak
Bortuzzo
Seeler

The only player that had harder zone starts was Tanev.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Chris Stewart earned a one way deal coming off his PTO with Philly. Pretty crazy that he was in the UK playing last season.

Had thoughts of him last month coming here and being our physical presence on the 4th line. Protect our lightest team in the league.

The search continues. Crouse can’t do it all, the only one playing physically and also concussing himself every 3/4 games.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Chris Stewart earned a one way deal coming off his PTO with Philly. Pretty crazy that he was in the UK playing last season.

Had thoughts of him last month coming here and being our physical presence on the 4th line. Protect our lightest team in the league.

The search continues. Crouse can’t do it all, the only one playing physically and also concussing himself every 3/4 games.
Interesting talk with his Brother on Hockey Central today about how he ended up in Britain and how he's now back. Basically lost his love for hockey and what needed to be done for success. Turned down KHL at last moment as he didn't think he wanted to do it and used lower level to get himself back to necessary mindset to be successful. He also took a year off as a kid from hockey.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

May 13, 2004

If Minnesota completely blows it up, Marcus Foligno would be great for this purpose. He’s good defensively, and can PK too. But really the main thing is he absolutely beats the wheels off of people. Big and mean. He’s overpaid by at least a million bucks but if Minney completely blows it up, maybe they’d retain?

Seeler is pretty physical and is always willing to fight. He usually gets his ass kicked but he’s got no problem showing up.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If Minnesota completely blows it up, Marcus Foligno would be great for this purpose. He’s good defensively, and can PK too. But really the main thing is he absolutely beats the wheels off of people. Big and mean. He’s overpaid by at least a million bucks but if Minney completely blows it up, maybe they’d retain?

Seeler is pretty physical and is always willing to fight. He usually gets his ass kicked but he’s got no problem showing up.

MIN brought in a bunch of new pieces and at least three have been a healthy scratch for one game. And now Fiala is sitting tonight.

rt

May 13, 2004
MIN brought in a bunch of new pieces and at least three have been a healthy scratch for one game. And now Fiala is sitting tonight.

They are in a tough spot. Parise and Suter aren’t going anywhere. They sellout every home game since forever. Yet they’re long overdue for a total blow up rebuild. What’s Guerin going to do?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Probably a coach trying to light a fire under his team's ass. Wouldn't read too much into it beyond that.

They just got their first win and are 1-4 to start the season. Down year last year, but they had two 100+ pt seasons before that.

They've got too much money tied up to do a proper rebuild right now. They have to try to get something going and squeak in the next couple years. That's why they overpaid Zuccarello. Now they're stuck with only a little wiggleroom. They made their bed. They don't have a choice but to make the best of it and lie in it.

After that, they can blow things up in three or four years.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Declining but passable. Slow starter. Was quite good the second half of both of the last two seasons. His contract is up after next season.

Right. Maybe an off season move I'd guess. Depends how Yands adjusts his game to match Q's system, hasn't been pretty so far. If he doesn't, I could see him being moved.

I was looking at Goli's advaced stats and can't say I was blown away. Not that I'm a big stats guy but still, Chayka is right?

That shorter contract does hold value though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad