Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Some of my ponderings on the draft for the Flyers:

Best case scenario, they win the lottery and move u to number 2.

If the Flyers pick 2nd, the choices should be between Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, Levshunov, and Dickenson.

Demidov is the most intriguing. He has that high end talent the Flyers need but is not a center. They desperately need a 1C and they desperately need a 1D who can run a powerplay. Drysdale may be that 1D but hasn’t shown it despite the pedigree.

Catton is the type of talent they really need at center. He has high end skating, skill, vision, playmaking, shot and motor. His downside is that he is smallish and frail looking. I think Catton centering Michkov and Foerster would be a dynamic first line.

Lindstrom is intriguing because of his size, speed, shot and aggressiveness at the center position. His playmaking worries me some. I wonder a little about his creativity on the ce as well. I have Catton rated higher.

Levshunov has shown really good offense at the college level as one of the youngest NCAA players. He is a good skater with size. His defensive acumen seems to be lacking and he is not as physical as I would like. Brad Shaw may be able to turn him into a good defensive player though. He certainly warrants consideration, though I think the forwards above are the play at number 2.

Dickenson is the defenseman I think the Flyers would like. He already pairs with last years second first round pick, Bonk. They might make a good first pair. Dickenson has the size and tools to become a really good 1D and run a powerplay. He will need some work with Shaw as well. His decision making has been a little suspect at times.

If the Flyers have the third pick, the same players above are the ones I would consider.

I also wonder if they could make deal for number 1, Celibrini, if they hold the #2 spot or even the #3 spot. If the team that wins the #1 pick really needs a defenseman and has really good centers like Anaheim maybe, might they be willing to trade back a spot or two to get more assets and still get their #1 defenseman? Maybe the Flyers #1 + Fla’s #1 + a player (Laughton/Frost type) and maybe the #50 pick?

At numbers 12, 13, and 14, obviously any of those players would be great, but unlikely, baring a trade up to maybe #8?

With those players off the board, there is an outside chance of getting Buium or Parekh, or Eiserman. Any of those three could fall to number 12, but not likely.

More likely they are looking at Yakemchuk, Iginla, Silayev, Hage, Connelly, Helenius or Greentree. With D, C, and LW taking priority, I doubt Greentree will be in the mix, and they need to be convinced that Helenius can play center in the NHL, which he probably can. I don’t think I would take Silayev. I don’t see the offense and without that, you can get a similar but slightly smaller player like Elick with the Florida pick.

Yakemchuk should interest the Flyers. He is a big RHD with a booming shot who skates wel and is aggressive. He could be that hammer on the powerplay at the point. The question is his decision making and whether he can QB the powerplay. I think he can, but his decision making defensively is a worry. Again we need Brad Shaw to work with him, otherwise he could end up as a more skilled version of Buffalo Risto, which is not a good outcome.

Iginla is terrific. He is fast skilled has a good motor, and a very good shot. He is more of a goal scoring center. The Flyers really need the playmaking sort. I could see them jumping on Iginla if he is there, and it would be a good choice.

I personally prefer Hage over Iginla for the Flyers, but it is close. I have been very impressed by Hage’s improving play. He is a very good skater with a lot of skill, a good shooter and playmaker and he has at least average size. He seems to be becoming less of a perimeter player which has been the knock on him. I think he can be a #1 good playmaking all around center.

Helenius has a lot of tools is a good skater with vision and a great motor. I doubt that he is a 1C though.

Connelly, is a very skilled excellent skating LW, which the Flyers need, who may be able to plug in as a 2C, but should fit as a 1LW.

That Florida pick could be anyone. I like Charlie Elick if the pick a center with number 1, but really it should be the BPA.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I can't speak to all your points but they're well made.

Catton is the type of talent they really need at center. He has high end skating, skill, vision, playmaking, shot and motor. His downside is that he is smallish and frail looking. I think Catton centering Michkov and Foerster would be a dynamic first line.

Lindstrom is intriguing because of his size, speed, shot and aggressiveness at the center position. His playmaking worries me some. I wonder a little about his creativity on the ce as well. I have Catton rated higher.

Yakemchuk should interest the Flyers. He is a big RHD with a booming shot who skates wel and is aggressive. He could be that hammer on the powerplay at the point. The question is his decision making and whether he can QB the powerplay. I think he can, but his decision making defensively is a worry. Again we need Brad Shaw to work with him, otherwise he could end up as a more skilled version of Buffalo Risto, which is not a good outcome.

Iginla is terrific. He is fast skilled has a good motor, and a very good shot. He is more of a goal scoring center. The Flyers really need the playmaking sort. I could see them jumping on Iginla if he is there, and it would be a good choice.

Catton looks like a solid choice. I have him at #3, but he might fall if teams want to draft for position or get overexcited on Lindstrom.

Speaking of, I'm really high on Lindstrom. He's one of those all-tools no-toolbox guys. I think part of that is where he's played and how he's been coached. I worry that rushing him will get you a new Jake Virtanen but MH looks like a hell of a team next year and leave him in junior to dominate, then bring him in slowly like the Kings did with Byfield or (to a lesser extent) the Ducks are doing with Carlsson.

Yakemchuk is going to fall because of his decision making issues but I think that's misleading. Calgary sucked this year. He had no support and was being used as the "everything" guy and he's just not that. I think he's trying to do too much plus be mean and it's making him make poor choices. Still has the chance to bust to nothing if I'm misreading this but I think team has a big effect on his play.

Iginla is incredible to watch. He's completely different from Jarome, except with his compete level. If the Flames don't draft him then they are even dumber than I expect. There are opportunities for a franchise beyond picking BPA and having the Flames go into a rebuild with a kid named Iginla to build around and a new arena coming is big picture thinking. Even if the Flames win the lottery... trade down 5 spots and take Iginla. He simply shouldn't be available when the Flyers are picking.

Reactions: IronMarshal

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Sometime in one of the next three drafts, Ottawa will have to forfeit their first round pick due to the Dadinov mess. Perhaps they opt out this year to clear their slate? That would change things for the Flyers.
There's no way they forfeit a pick in next two years.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Could the crutches and boot let Demidov fall to Philly? It'd be nice to luck into 2 top talents

Maybe Michkov gets in his ear about how amazing the Flyers organization is and he sees Fedotov's contract and refuses to play anywhere else but Philadelphia. That's my plan.

Maybe Michkov gets in his ear about how amazing the Flyers organization is and he sees Fedotov's contract and refuses to play anywhere else but Philadelphia. Also Zamula. That's my plan.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I wonder if we can trade up for 2nd overall to draft Demidov?
It’s so rare as it as, that I don’t see it happening unless we significantly overpay.

Not altogether directly but Meltzer’s article about Voracek mentioned that the Flyers-Oilers had the foundation of a deal in place for the 2nd overall at the 2007 draft; 7th and 21st overall but the Flyers also wanted the Oilers 15th overall. Would have been a nice haul since it would have ended with us getting Voracek and McDonagh and another 1st rounder.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Going to be so many good options for us at 12. One of the 6 stud dman may fall to 12, and with the rise of Igina and Connelly along with the strong play of Eiserman again, maybe one of Lindstrom, Catton or Helenius are there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad