Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Short of Jeff Jackson putting a gun to the head of these players and forcing them to sign smaller contracts that you would prefer, I’m not really sure what he was supposed to do here.

I think he might have signed them earlier unless their agents were not willing to sign and were waiting to see if an offer sheet came down. Easy way out is you trade Ceci and LTIR Kane. You can’t let the Blues f*** us over for 2 shitty draft picks.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
amy-poehler-angry.gif

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Oil need to find a way to match both of these.

You cannot let Broberg go for a 2nd round draft pick.
Problem is these are 2 yr deals so impacts next year too when Drai and bouchard need to be extended. Well played by st louis, possibly get a young former 1st rounder or 2 for a 2nd or 3rd and a slight salary overpay for 2 years. If not at minimum, you have F&*(ed a conference rivals cap structure.

Can't blame Holloway or Broberg for signing the offersheet, they were looking at not much more than league min based on oilers cap situation. Plus if someone is paying you $4m you will get to play as well.

Reactions: McDoused

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Even if we find a way to trade Ceci, do you even think about matching the Broberg offer?

Holloway is an easy yes.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Problem is these are 2 yr deals so impacts next year too when Drai and bouchard need to be extended. Well played by st louis, possibly get a young former 1st rounder or 2 for a 2nd or 3rd and a slight salary overpay for 2 years. If not at minimum, you have F&*(ed a conference rivals cap structure.

Can't blame Holloway or Broberg for signing the offersheet, they were looking at not much more than league min based on oilers cap situation. Plus if someone is paying you $4m you will get to play as well.

Only difficulty is I think letting Broberg go for a 2nd round pick has good potential to absolutely haunt the Oilers in half a decade.

Obviously a risk because he really only played well during the playoffs but he played REALLY well.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
In theory you could trade both Ceci and Kulak I guess.

Prudent move here would be to take the pick for Broberg, let the Blues have fun with that qualifying offer, and flip the pick at the deadline.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

But if you have to you can trade either player next off season.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
They can trade Ceci and LTIR Kane and move him later.

Now f*** off back to your own board.

I like the Oilers. This is a major problem with Broberg. St.Louis did the Oilers dirty here. Teams will know Oilers are desperate to move Ceci to make the cap work in order to match on Broberg. Hence the Oilers being slightly bent over here. Bowman has work to do. That Nurse contract is a killer right now,

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
Just thinking about this now, but does this happen if Holland is still at the helm?

I'd bet it doesn't.
Ya, the guy who is the reason for the Oilers current s****y cap situation would guide us through this situation. Not like he has a history of sewering teams caps and moving young players/prospects out for nothing...

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I like the Oilers. This is a major problem with Broberg. St.Louis did the Oilers dirty here. Teams will know Oilers are desperate to move Ceci to make the cap work in order to match on Broberg. Hence the Oilers being slightly bent over here. Bowman has work to do. That Nurse contract is a killer right now,

They are bent over but it’s workable. The problem is next year. But you do what you need to do and match because you can’t let other teams offer sheet your players.

Agree the Nurse deal is awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad