OT: Off Topic XXI - It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I feel fine)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Well I'm back tomorrow. Can't say I missed much with regards to the hockey world... most disassociated I have been in years with the game. Caught maybe 2 periods of hockey in a month.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well I'm back tomorrow. Can't say I missed much with regards to the hockey world... most disassociated I have been in years with the game. Caught maybe 2 periods of hockey in a month.

This is literally how I feel every time the Flames don't make the playoffs.
I don't have the time in my regular life to watch teams I don't care about play hockey haha.

Plus the NBA playoffs for the last number of years have been far superior.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's midsummer so today is a holiday. And I'm also starting my 5 week summer holiday so I wont be back to work until very late July. I was hoping for a 6 or 7 game Stanley cup finals so I could watch the last games live, but 6 games would actually be better than great now.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Now that Strub's Full Sour Pickles are no longer available on store shelves I'm in the middle of my quest to find a replacement pickle that is similar or even better than the Strub's Full Sours. Must be naturally fermented sour. None of this pickled in vinegar brine stuff.
I've heard Moishes pickles are similar and can be purchased at Costco but I don't recall seeing them here in Calgary.
MOISHES_DILL_PICKLES_2_L_20230913_85185.jpg

Reactions: Boomstick

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Now that Strub's Full Sour Pickles are no longer available on store shelves I'm in the middle of my quest to find a replacement pickle that is similar or even better than the Strub's Full Sours. Must be naturally fermented sour. None of this pickled in vinegar brine stuff.
I've heard Moishes pickles are similar and can be purchased at Costco but I don't recall seeing them here in Calgary.
View attachment 893512

Try making your own pickles. It's insanely easy and they're ready in a few hours (get better as time goes on). Just use field cucumbers or similar varieties than English cucumbers if you're picky about that type of stuff, but it's also fun to just toss in other veggies to pickle like carrots, beans etc.

Just fill jar with salt water or vinegar then add basic aromatics like dill/mustard seed and a little bit of sugar. It might cost a little to get set up with the mason jars and whatnot, but by batch 2-3, you'll see the value in DIY. Let ferment in a pantry for a day then move to fridge full time.

The salt water brine version does get a little bit fizzy. I hear the colors might stay vibrant and green if you put a zinc pill into the brine?

While doing that, do your own sauerkraut as well. I love adding Szechuan peppercorns to sauerkraut. It's awesome. :) Insanely easy to do as well. Use a veggie peeler to shred the washed cabbage, add salt and peppercorns, wait half a day before eating. A good crunchy kraut is great occasionally on a burger as a lettuce replacement.

EDIT: And if you make it big, don't forget to name it Rubi'z Cukes.

giphy.webp

Last edited:

Fig

Dec 15, 2014
I thought they sounded familiar. Also have some guy named Messijoes (the joes is silent)

A non-Canadian sounding star that kinda sounds like a former Oiler from up North.

Messi-Eh?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
had to change ad blockers because literally every click I got a screen asking me to disable my adblocker... I wouldn't use one if the ads weren't invasive where i have to close one every f***ing screen

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a physiotherapist in Calgary? Dealing with some back issues specifically and in my experience good ones are tough to find. Thanks

Fig

Dec 15, 2014
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a physiotherapist in Calgary? Dealing with some back issues specifically and in my experience good ones are tough to find. Thanks
I know a guy who is great with leg and ankle, but not back. Sorry.

I have back issues too and I was looking for more from most physiotherapists I went to. One thing that helps me personally that I figured out myself is to wear a weight lifting belt. Reduces the strain on my back by redistributing it to my abs.

Reactions: User1996

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

I have back issues too and I was looking for more from most physiotherapists I went to. One thing that helps me personally that I figured out myself is to wear a weight lifting belt. Reduces the strain on my back by redistributing it to my abs.
Have you tried CBI? Initially their specialty was backs, but now they have branched out to other lifestyle improvement areas. I never dealt with a physiotherapist at the one in Lethbridge, but the psychologist and occupational therapist were good, so I have some faith in their hiring practices.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

That is something I will have to try out since I’ve got a few of them lying around the house. Seems like it would be beneficial.

I booked in with Group 23 out of Winsport. They have Sports Physicians on site as well, which seems helpful.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Dec 15, 2014
Have you tried CBI? Initially their specialty was backs, but now they have branched out to other lifestyle improvement areas. I never dealt with a physiotherapist at the one in Lethbridge, but the psychologist and occupational therapist were good, so I have some faith in their hiring practices.
Never heard of them. Mostly self managed and occasional chiro from a buddy who does sports medicine. The next step likely will be yoga for back strengthening exercises. I also have neck issues too, so yoga should help with both.

I know yoga helps. It did in the past. I just stopped having time to do yoga, until lately I'm feeling like I will have to make time to do yoga because it's getting really bad.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Never heard of them. Mostly self managed and occasional chiro from a buddy who does sports medicine. The next step likely will be yoga for back strengthening exercises. I also have neck issues too, so yoga should help with both.

I know yoga helps. It did in the past. I just stopped having time to do yoga, until lately I'm feeling like I will have to make time to do yoga because it's getting really bad.
CBI used to be called the Canadian Back Institute

They offer a ton of services

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

I go to Marda Loop Physiotherapy for IMS.

I had a bad back injury a few years back playing sports. Like the stubborn idiot I am, I never went to go get it checked out until well over a year later at the suggestion of a friend (and even then I took a while to finally do it). It has been a long recovery cause I should have went much sooner, but I've gotten a lot of my mobility back and I'm able to be on my feet for many hours now with minimal discomfort, which is a huge improvement from when I started.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

I had a bad back injury a few years back playing sports. Like the stubborn idiot I am, I never went to go get it checked out until well over a year later at the suggestion of a friend (and even then I took a while to finally do it). It has been a long recovery cause I should have went much sooner, but I've gotten a lot of my mobility back and I'm able to be on my feet for many hours now with minimal discomfort, which is a huge improvement from when I started.
how have you been feeling since you accident?

Fig

Dec 15, 2014
CBI used to be called the Canadian Back Institute

They offer a ton of services

Ah neat. I will give them a look at if I need someone for my back. I've settled into a good setup right now with massages, exercises and my sports medicine chiro buddy so I'll keep that going unless I need someone else. Wearing the lifting belt more frequently and doing hot yoga regularly should be enough to push me over the top.

On a side note, I actually do a lot of physio exercises at home. It's just not enough. My chiro buddy was telling me he'd always been surprised at my ability to self adjust. He said he still remembers me randomly sitting up in a chair, turning and then he'd hear popping noises from my back. He hasn't really met anyone else that does that. I still get relief from those movements, but as I get older, I guess I need his help to get that deeper releases. I am no longer able to consistently do it on my own with movements/basic physio exercises and even hard plastic rollers/hoops, lacrosse balls, peanut roller ball, foam rollers, back stretchers etc. even after warming up using warm up movements, shakti mats and massages.

IMO I need to strengthen the whole system because my recent injuries are things like lifting the kids at weird angles, so I think the issue isn't purely strengthening certain muscles, it's a weakest link in the chain situation when I and intercepting a 45 pound running kid to the side of my body kind of thing multiple times a day kind of thing. That's where the yoga will come in. I need to strengthen my upper and lower back plus have strength and range of motion for my shoulders and neck. The latter I know helps immensely with migraines.

Vinyasa flow range of motion stuff to strengthen it all. Warrior pose ain't so silly looking when you're lying on a sofa and trying to deflect a surprise WWE body slam hug. A successful deflection kinda ends up looking like a pair lift in ice dance or figure skating.

Once I get healthy (like WTF is up with my health this year??? I think I've had a frustrating cough for 5 of the last 7 months) I'll kinda try to start doing more yoga and maybe a little bit of basic boxing road work for cardio and strength. That being said, you can get pretty cut doing yoga if you do the movements right. It can basically turn into calisthenics for sculpting.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
how have you been feeling since you accident?
Most of time, I don't even think about it so I guess you can say it's back to normal, though there's the odd time that sometimes the collar bone just feels... tired?

Funny enough, I actually happened to be driving at the exact intersection I was hit yesterday and was reminded of it!

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Most of time, I don't even think about it so I guess you can say it's back to normal, though there's the odd time that sometimes the collar bone just feels... tired?

Funny enough, I actually happened to be driving at the exact intersection I was hit yesterday and was reminded of it!
glad to hear you're back to normal

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

Same story here. The initial injury was over a year ago while working out. I then pushed through it after just a couple days rest. I was then battling some other more pressing health issues for the past 8 months, where the back took a backseat, and seemed to slowly clear up on its own to be at least tolerable in daily life.

Now that everything was back to normal health wise, I’ve been more active and I’ve apparently overdone it and aggravated my back again.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Same story here. The initial injury was over a year ago while working out. I then pushed through it after just a couple days rest. I was then battling some other more pressing health issues for the past 8 months, where the back took a backseat, and seemed to slowly clear up on its own to be at least tolerable in daily life.

Now that everything was back to normal health wise, I’ve been more active and I’ve apparently overdone it and aggravated my back again.

Yeah last summer, I was really spotty with my physio on account of vacations, work, etc and it really hampered my recovery so during the fall/winter I took a break on all sports and make sure everything works around the physio appointments and it's been a huge improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad