OT: Off-Topic Thread - I love Fall but I hate what comes afterwards....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
It
has
been
the
worst
evening

...and now I have schnaaps:handclap:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Soooo, me texting the boyfriend.... "you forgot your milk and pickles"

yep. going well:nod::laugh::laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
For all you wine enthusiasts, a few weeks ago my friend and I went to Wine Riot in Boston and sampled a ton of wines from around the world.

Here's the link: And yes, it is well worth the money. I got my tickets early so they were $50 a piece. Definitely going to the Spring one.

Anyways, my mom went and bought me one of the Rieslings I liked, Dr. Loosen. I found it to be a bit sweeter than our go to wine, Chateau Ste. Michelle.

Since we are trying to find a wine for Thanksgiving, I went to Wegmans yesterday to see if I could get either the Loosen or Chateau dry Riesling. I ended up with the Chateau dry one which is chilling in my fridge.

While I was there, I decided to poke around and look to see which wines they had from the list I had made from the wine riot. To my surprise they had a lot so I took photos of the bottles and prices. I ended up with 5 bottles of wine in total. The red wine I bought wasn't one that I had but it was from the same region as the one I liked at riot. In total, minus the milk I bought, I paid about $45 for all 5 bottles. Not bad.

I have no idea how to drink the red wine so if anyone has any tips please pass them my way.

These are the wines I bought:

Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling
Villa Wolf Pinot Gris 2014
90+ Cellars Lot 66 Mosel Riesling
90+ Cellars Lot 50 Prosecco
D'Arenberg The Stump Jump Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvedre (from Australia)

My Mom bought me the Dr. Loosen Riesling 2014

I also got a sparkling wine on Friday at Blanchards which I also had at Wine Riot and absolutely love: Westport Vineyards Farmers Fizz

Looking forward to hearing about others favorite wines and tips for red wine since I've never really been a red drinker.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
For all you wine enthusiasts, a few weeks ago my friend and I went to Wine Riot in Boston and sampled a ton of wines from around the world.

Here's the link: And yes, it is well worth the money. I got my tickets early so they were $50 a piece. Definitely going to the Spring one.

Anyways, my mom went and bought me one of the Rieslings I liked, Dr. Loosen. I found it to be a bit sweeter than our go to wine, Chateau Ste. Michelle.

Since we are trying to find a wine for Thanksgiving, I went to Wegmans yesterday to see if I could get either the Loosen or Chateau dry Riesling. I ended up with the Chateau dry one which is chilling in my fridge.

While I was there, I decided to poke around and look to see which wines they had from the list I had made from the wine riot. To my surprise they had a lot so I took photos of the bottles and prices. I ended up with 5 bottles of wine in total. The red wine I bought wasn't one that I had but it was from the same region as the one I liked at riot. In total, minus the milk I bought, I paid about $45 for all 5 bottles. Not bad.

I have no idea how to drink the red wine so if anyone has any tips please pass them my way.

These are the wines I bought:

Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling
Villa Wolf Pinot Gris 2014
90+ Cellars Lot 66 Mosel Riesling
90+ Cellars Lot 50 Prosecco
D'Arenberg The Stump Jump Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvedre (from Australia)

My Mom bought me the Dr. Loosen Riesling 2014

I also got a sparkling wine on Friday at Blanchards which I also had at Wine Riot and absolutely love: Westport Vineyards Farmers Fizz

Looking forward to hearing about others favorite wines and tips for red wine since I've never really been a red drinker.

Red wine, white wine... you drink the same aside temperature and what to eat with it. Having lived in Europe for over 20 years and wine growing friends (Pommard, Saint Estephe, Bandol and a few more off the beaten path areas) it's part of the culture in the deep roots.

The basics are :

Storage : No light (especually no UV's.) Ideally mild humidity - 80 % ambient otherwise the cork dries. Stable temperature - 11-13C (low 50's F.) No vibration. Whites on bottom, reds on top.

Serving Temperature : Whites (dry - 8-10C, sweet 10-12C). Don't put in the freezer or very cold water right before, best is fridge and letting the wine "warm up". Rapid cooling will take the aromas away. Reds - 15C to 18C depending upong the blend and what you are eating - they will warm to room temperature anyway in less than an hour so unless it's really hot (summer, etc), less of a worry.

Corking : Some will require opening before serving. This can be anything from 3 to 12 hours before (in bottle, open, not in a decanter. Typically it doesn't hurt to open at least 1 hour before and you will know what the wine needs over the course of the evening and can plan for the next time based upon how the wine evolved in the glass(es).

Tasting : There are 4 steps to the wine tasting.
1. Color and texture in the glass. For whites and reds alike you can learn a lot about the wine, age and grape variety just by looking into the glass. Hold the glass at an angle. The rim of the disc of the wine (upper surface) will indicate the age - the more "brick" color the older, typically with reds. On whites it depends if it is a dry or sweet wine. Typically the age "disc" goes from green tints (young) to clear amber (older). Then look for the clarity in the body - is there matter in suspension, is the wine "shiny" or a bit dull. This will indicate if it's been filtered / well matured, etc. Finally you have the depth and density of color which will indicate the blend - Pinot will be ruby red, Merlot much more dark and deep, etc...
2. First nose. This is one that many people ignore. Don't shake / stir the glass. When you first open a bottle and take the first smell the aromas (primary) can be very different than the secondary aromas. Interesting to smell without tasting this first nose. Same with whites and reds. Give it a try, think of what you smelt and put it into memory - you may be suprized a lot of these first aromas dissipate in the next few minutes. Angel being let out of the bottle...
3. Second nose. Slowly "stir" the wine. The secondary aromas will come out now. Don't taste yet. You will find that there is a whole palette of secondary aromas that will show thru the primary aromas of the core wine. When tasting I've found to very useful to think in terms of fruit families (citrus, exotic, etc), flowers, and recipes. I've literally smelt wines that absolutely reminded me of Minestrone Soup, Baileys Cointreau, Roasted Pheasant, etc... When you put the primary aromas to a recipe of a fruit group, then think of what goes into it and you can ofter find the aroma. It REALLY helps to be a few at the same time and just "name drop" aromas and you will have many an epiphany over a glass of wine.
4. And finally tasting. On the first taste don't take a mouthful, take a sip, keep the wine in the front of your mouth, and if the occassion permits it, breath in with the wine at the front of your mouth making bubbles ass thru the wine before then moving around your mouth. Then swallow. You have 3 things to look for. Acidity along the edges of your tongue, depth and presence in the middle of your tongue and upper palette, and duration, not to mention the aromas. You want to look for body, balance, aroma and duration. Body is how the wine feels in your mouth across your acid sensors and flavour sensors - velvety like you would have with a deep sweet white - say a Gewurstraminer grains noble - or more mineral and dry like a Chablis. Both can have a full body if it is balanced across the mouth. For balance, it's all about having a good equilibrium between "body" and acidity to keep it from getting too sweet and heavy. Aroma speaks for itself. Find tha aromas and you will often find that there are more in the 2 noses than in the mouth which I always find interesting. Finally duration. This is about how long you can feel and taste the wine after swallowing. Some say you count the seconds before you salivate and this is an interesting benchmark but either way, how long can you taste and feel the wine. One of those things you know it when you feel it (longest I've had was a Guigal Cote Rotie, La Mouline from 97 - one of my all time favourites!!)

It's a bit tougher to start out wine tasting with the "new world" wines because there are additives and a different approach to the "terroir" in some cases so you are getting a mix of "natural" and composed aromas and body. This tends to mask some of the flavours and aromas but nevertheless you can develop a strong baseline for sure.

Last of all, enjoy the alchemy of wine with friends. When you have "that moment" and taste something truly extraordinary you take that to the grave and it's great to share that.

Regards.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Bowled decent tonight...

12233164_10208471190481029_150749820_n.jpg

Tried a slightly different grip and it made a big difference. Was able to get damn good velocity and pin action. 17.5 mph with a 15 lb ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad