Off season wish list

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Raffl has 1 PP point in 103 PP minutes. White has 3 in 48 minutes.

Raffl is not a better PP option.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Ryan White is a perfect 4th liner. As long as you give him 4th line minutes and keep him off of your PK and PP2.

Unfortunately, he got 3rd line minutes for long stretches of the season, plays on the PK where he is an abomination and plays on PP2 where he is just a body in front of the net that brings nothing else to the unit (puck retrieval, playmaking, etc).

I would rather have White than VandeVelde, even though VdV is a better PKer, for intangibles and ability to bang home some pucks around the net, but VdV has 1 year left on his deal and White is a UFA. With Leier knocking on the door, do we really need to re-sign White? It's a tough call.

White's actually been pretty a solid contributer on PP2. He's surprisingly good at being the net front presence and he's been involved in a lot of the goals that unit has scored this season. More than that, he plays a legit NHL game, whereas I feel both 78 & 76 are neither skilled nor smart enough to be anything other than middle of the road 4th liners, and they're only even that because they both work their tails off.

Neither 78 nor 76's contracts are reasons to not re-sign White, who's going to get what? A <500K raise at most? I also don't want to hand Leier a spot, I want him to come up and push a guy out of a spot, the same way Cousins has.

Most of all, White just really fits in with the identity the team has started to build. There's a certain swagger that a lot of our guys (Giroux, Simmonds, Ghost, Gudas, and Voracek when he's on) bring to the ice and guys like White and now Cousins fit in really nicely with that identity. It's the kind of thing that can make this team great when we get all the horses we need.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Mikkel Boedker was playing LW last night it looked like for some periods of time with the Avalanche. He is a terrible defensive player but put a line of -Boedker-Couts-Voracek out there and that's a great second line.

He might be the one player worth looking at in regard to free agency. Just need to see his price tag. He will eclipse 50 points this year and would provide depth and speed to the lineup.

If it's 5 years for 25 million, I wouldn't be too opposed to that deal. If it was longer or even more money I think you look elsewhere. Realistically he is probably worth around 4.5 over 4-5 years. He might get north of 5.5 even on the market. That's too steep for my taste.

For as much crap as B. Schenn tools around here for being inconsistent Boedecker is invisible for a guy with his talent. Strikes me as a smaller JVR.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Raffl has 1 PP point in 103 PP minutes. White has 3 in 48 minutes.

Raffl is not a better PP option.

PP2 as a whole was completely awful in the time Raffl played on that unit, and that is the fault of the entire unit. The unit isn't scoring now because they replaced Raffl with White.

Replace White with Raffl on the current unit and you would see even better results than they have been having lately. That's my opinion.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
White's actually been pretty a solid contributer on PP2. He's surprisingly good at being the net front presence and he's been involved in a lot of the goals that unit has scored this season. More than that, he plays a legit NHL game, whereas I feel both 78 & 76 are neither skilled nor smart enough to be anything other than middle of the road 4th liners, and they're only even that because they both work their tails off.

Neither 78 nor 76's contracts are reasons to not re-sign White, who's going to get what? A <500K raise at most? I also don't want to hand Leier a spot, I want him to come up and push a guy out of a spot, the same way Cousins has.

Most of all, White just really fits in with the identity the team has started to build. There's a certain swagger that a lot of our guys (Giroux, Simmonds, Ghost, Gudas, and Voracek when he's on) bring to the ice and guys like White and now Cousins fit in really nicely with that identity. It's the kind of thing that can make this team great when we get all the horses we need.

White's d zone coverage is what kills me. I like my fourth liner being more savvy in his own end. He seems caught out of position a great deal. That said, I wouldn't be upset giving him a small raise until Leier, Ghoul, or someone like Bardeau can beat him out.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
PP2 as a whole was completely awful in the time Raffl played on that unit, and that is the fault of the entire unit. The unit isn't scoring now because they replaced Raffl with White.

Replace White with Raffl on the current unit and you would see even better results than they have been having lately. That's my opinion.

Aside from Raffl being a better overall hockey player than White, I have no idea what you are basing that on. Raffl has never impressed on the PP and he's been given quite a few opportunities to do so. Meanwhile, White's been noticeably effective in the role.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
PP2 as a whole was completely awful in the time Raffl played on that unit, and that is the fault of the entire unit.

The 1st unit was also bad when Raffl was on it at the start of the season. He really doesn't have a skill set that's suited to the PP.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
White's d zone coverage is what kills me. I like my fourth liner being more savvy in his own end. He seems caught out of position a great deal. That said, I wouldn't be upset giving him a small raise until Leier, Ghoul, or someone like Bardeau can beat him out.

White is a winger whose best work happens on the forecheck. Pair him with the right players and you have a great 4th line.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
4th line centre who can kill face offs and PK.
A trade of either/both Striet/MacD.
A shooter on the wings.
A buyout of Umberger.
Trade Weal.
Call up 1-2 AHLers who are ready, be it a D or FWD.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I forgot about Weal. He's played 13 NHL games all season after playing 92 AHL games last year.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
- Trade a couple/few defensemen on the roster - AMac, Schultz, Streit most of all
- 4th line Center (Boyd Gordon, Paul Byron)
- Kick the tires on Stamkos, Boedker (because why not?)
- re-sign White.

edit: also look into the Sobotka situation, see if he/his contract may be available.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do people want to overspend on LWs who are bad defensively because that line will score 10 more goals but no longer be a shutdown unit? The reason Raffl is a good fit with Couts is he can skate, is strong, will forecheck and helps make that line a top defensive group.

If you want more scoring, get it by strengthening the 3rd and 4th lines, which can get you 10-20 goals, and upgrading the defense, which is going to happen. You can do that without trading a top prospect or sinking $5M a year into a player who doesn't fit the mentalite of this team (i.e. a pretty boy who likes to skate and shoot but not forecheck or play defense).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Let Gagner, Medvedev, White, Weal & Manning walk.
Buy-out Umberger.
Sign Brodziak or Gordon. (~$1.5-2m, 2 years)
Re-sign Schenn. (~$4.5-4.75m, 3-4 years)
Re-sign Gudas. (~$2.5-3m, 2-3 years)
Re-sign Cousins. (~$1m, ~2 years)
Re-sign Alt on a Manning 'show me/cheap #7' deal. ($0.625m, 1 year)
Trade Streit once bonus paid.

If Konecny blows us all away at camp send Leier back to AHL, put Laughton on 4th line LW and put Konecny in middle six.

roll:

Schenn ($4.75m) -- Giroux ($8.275m) -- Simmonds ($3.975m)
Raffl ($2.35m) -- Couturier ($4.33m) -- Voracek ($8.25m)
Laughton ($0.863m) -- Cousins ($1m) -- Read ($3.625m)
Leier ($0.780m) -- Brodziak ($1.5m) -- Bellemare ($0.713m)
VandeVelde ($0.713m)

Del Zotto ($3.875m) -- Gostisbehere ($0.925m)
Provorov ($0.925m) -- Gudas ($3m)
MacDonald ($5m) -- Schultz ($2.25m)
Alt ($0.625m)

Mason ($4.1m)
Neuvirth ($1.625m)

Umberger Buyout ($1.6m)

Total cap hit: ~$65.05m

(In this circumstance I would keep Umberger if we know by summer how the expansion draft treats NMC's... I mean, 99% he will not have to be protected ofc... and if he does not have to be protected no point buying out... just bury him as 14th forward to save the $1.5m in 2017-18... as if Streit is traded cap will be no problem at all next season.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The 1st unit was also bad when Raffl was on it at the start of the season. He really doesn't have a skill set that's suited to the PP.

And White does?!

He is terrible at puck retrieval and zone entries on the PP. He is good in one department. Getting to the front of the net for a screen and hoping for a deflection or rebound to fall on his stick.

With the way PP2 has been moving the puck quickly and firing shots quickly as of late, Raffl would flourish moreso than White. I think we all know Raffl has more talent, is a better skater, and has better size. He protects the puck well along the boards as well, whereas White doesn't have the strength and often loses battles resulting in the puck exiting the zone.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You need a guy who's good at playing at the front of the net. They already have a bunch of other guys out there better suited to making zone entries than White or Raffl.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You need a guy who's good at playing at the front of the net. They already have a bunch of other guys out there better suited to making zone entries than White or Raffl.

My point is that now that the rest of that unit has figured some things out, parking Raffl in front instead of White we would get the same, IF NOT BETTER results.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
My point is that now that the rest of that unit has figured some things out, parking Raffl in front instead of White we would get the same, IF NOT BETTER results.

No it wouldn't. Raffl has never shown the ability to be an effective front of the net presence.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I want basically what Appleyard has said, but I add in replace Lappy, Mullen and Murphy. Get Hakstol some actual coaches to work with.

In LeHigh Valley: Let Gordon walk, get rid of Cote, fire Drewiske into the sun. Get Lindblom over here.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Why do people want to overspend on LWs who are bad defensively because that line will score 10 more goals but no longer be a shutdown unit? The reason Raffl is a good fit with Couts is he can skate, is strong, will forecheck and helps make that line a top defensive group.

If you want more scoring, get it by strengthening the 3rd and 4th lines, which can get you 10-20 goals, and upgrading the defense, which is going to happen. You can do that without trading a top prospect or sinking $5M a year into a player who doesn't fit the mentalite of this team (i.e. a pretty boy who likes to skate and shoot but not forecheck or play defense).
Excellent points! I do believe we'll see a better season from Laughton next year and a full season of Cousins should help. Also need to mention not wasting a roster spot on Vinny and Umby should assist in finding a moderately priced contributor as well.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I can't wait to see the players who are rumored to be available. This will be Hexy's third off season now and I think it's time for him to do some of his own work instead of fixing what he was handed.

The Stamkos chasing days are most likely gone for this franchise but I could see them making some really under the radar signings. They will have some cap room(with a 74 million cap if true). I could really wish for a player like Duchene from the Avs because he would give the team so much more speed and skill up front that would help us now and in the future.

I think Hexy makes a trade instead of chasing big money free agents. Target players that has term or still RFA status. It's hard to tell who will be available until the year is over when the rumors start to leak from non playoff teams but still this is the most excited I have been for an off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad