Off season news & stuff

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

If we're really concerned about Holland making a hard push to get back into the playoffs, getting in on dealing for a guy like Stepan is a move that would have to interest him. He's not old, he's productive, and it seems NYR is looking to move him - probably for assets they don't have to protect (like maybe including a high 1st...).

I don't hate him as a player, but his NTC kicks in July 1st(we already have 9 players with some sort of NTC on the books come July 1)so I really hope Holland has no interest. Stepan alone ain't turning this ship around any quicker, not with the AHL caliber D we're Icing.

NickWN

Jun 14, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't hate him as a player, but his NTC kicks in July 1st(we already have 9 players with some sort of NTC on the books come July 1)so I really hope Holland has no interest. Stepan alone ain't turning this ship around any quicker, not with the AHL caliber D we're Icing.

Even if they did want to sign him, how they would fit him under the salary cap? With the cap remaining flat next season, they have to sign AA, Tatar, and XO. They'll be right up against it. No way they make room for Stepan's $6M AAV.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Even if they did want to sign him, how they would fit him under the salary cap? With the cap remaining flat next season, they have to sign AA, Tatar, and XO. They'll be right up against it. No way they make room for Stepan's $6M AAV.

There's that too. If there's even a trade to be made, $$$ would have to be going back to NY or they retain a fair chunk of Stepan's cap($6.5M actually)

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Unless KH can pull off some dump contracts and get people to go on ltir or retire he has no room to add any one. He has painted him self in a corner as of now.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
The buyout period is open up until June 30th (except June 17-21, aka Expansion draft). While I don't expect anyone to be bought out, (Kronwall isn't an option because the annual cost would be too much) Ericsson would be an interesting option.

Instead of his salary (4.25M for the next three years), he would cost 1.68M next year and 1.388M for 5 years after that. If the injuries are there, it could be worth it. Then again, LTIR could be worth it also.

Am I :deadhorse here? :laugh:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'd rather just keep him. Unless there's someone that can't be resigned, why bother opening up cap space? Just ride out the stupid contracts.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd rather just keep him. Unless there's someone that can't be resigned, why bother opening up cap space? Just ride out the stupid contracts.

yeah, that's what I'm hoping to see, too. The only way I see Holland buying people out is if he's making a move that needs cap space. Though, this wouldn't exactly be surprising.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The buyout period is open up until June 30th (except June 17-21, aka Expansion draft). While I don't expect anyone to be bought out, (Kronwall isn't an option because the annual cost would be too much) Ericsson would be an interesting option.

Instead of his salary (4.25M for the next three years), he would cost 1.68M next year and 1.388M for 5 years after that. If the injuries are there, it could be worth it. Then again, LTIR could be worth it also.

I would rather buy out 2 years of Howard compared to 3 years of Ericsson, I would rather pay Howard for the next 4 years then 6 years of Ericsson plus still paying 4 more year of Weiss that would be a lot of dead money right there.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I would rather buy out 2 years of Howard compared to 3 years of Ericsson, I would rather pay Howard for the next 4 years then 6 years of Ericsson plus still paying 4 more year of Weiss that would be a lot of dead money right there.

I have to disagree. I would rather keep Howard because he is still (even with his contract numbers) effective. Ericsson isn't as much.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
So Yzerman deals Drouin+Conditional 6th round pick to Montreal, For Sergachev+Conditional 2nd round pick Yzerman gets his top 4 LHD and MB gets his LW win win for both.

They need C help so badly that theyll put Drouin in at the 2c spot (with Galchenyuk as his winger.)

Also allows TB to keep Namestnekov and is delayed payback for Drouin acting like a ***** early on in his career no doubt that left a sour taste in Stevies mouth...

But great trade all around 2 GMs with balls willing to make moves to better their clubs. Man what I'de give to have Yzerman as our GM.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Ericsson is injured still, is he not? Can't buy out an injured player.

NickWN

Jun 14, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yup at this juncture in his career, Ericsson is a waste of a roster space.

This is far from true. Ericsson is a serviceable 5/6 defenseman. He's just not worth $4.25M/yr for the next three years.

Honestly, the Wings aren't going to be competitive for the next three years anyways. We just need to accept that and ride out all these bad contracts. By the time the team is ready to be competitive again, Ericsson/Helm/Kronwall/Howard will all be gone or on expiring contracts. It's not worth trading future assets to dump these contracts at this point.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wouldnt be surprised if we trades for Phaneuf

Cap dump for cap dump

Yup. Could see it. Phaneuf could be had on the cheap and he's a guy Holland would no doubtedly tout as though he were still in his prime, a la Green, Vanek, et al.

Not sure Ericsson works though. He's been too injured. Don't think Ottawa wants another LTIR case on their roster, even if we sweeten the pot. Really can't think of a suitable deal there that works pre-expansion. Also have to consider that Ottawa will balance the offers they receive with whatever deal they can make with LV to NOT take Phaneuf.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

If we're really concerned about Holland making a hard push to get back into the playoffs, getting in on dealing for a guy like Stepan is a move that would have to interest him. He's not old, he's productive, and it seems NYR is looking to move him - probably for assets they don't have to protect (like maybe including a high 1st...).

The price will be too high for Holland's taste and we don't have the pieces to get him either (PMDs).

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Do we really need him though? Is he that much of an upgrade over Zetterberg/Nielsen/Larkin at C?

I get that we need an elite 1C if we're ever going to be a contender, I don't think that Stepan is it. D is a much bigger priority right now.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Do we really need him though? Is he that much of an upgrade over Zetterberg/Nielsen/Larkin at C?

I get that we need an elite 1C if we're ever going to be a contender, I don't think that Stepan is it. D is a much bigger priority right now.

Don't think anyone said we needed him; I think someone suggested he was the type of guy Holland believes would get us back into contention though - that's where the discussion comes from.

Given what we've heard/seen from Holland's camp, I think it's fair to say he thinks we're a Stepan and Phaneuf (or similar) away from true contending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad