GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I think we'll bring in someone to take on PP QB duties. Forsling would be fine, but his minutes better saved for PK and 5v5.

The problem is that Zito will be able to find a PP QB but come playoff time anyone of these available guys are soft, easily pushed around in the playoffs. e.g. Stars let Lundqvist go because he got doghoused due to his size and lack of physicality. ppl may jump with joy that Monty didn't sign with the Panthers but if Zito didn't have a plan B then this is a big loss.

Montour seems like a genuinely great guy, I'm very happy for him. That's a hell of a contract. Got a Cup and now he got that paper.

IMG_1004.jpeg

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
With Montour and OEL gone. We have to keep Ekblad at this point. Can't see us replacing 3 "quality" defenseman through this if Ekblad is traded. We still need some veteran depth.

I think it's more likely that Ekblad is gone now. Zito making it very clear that he's not taking on any bad contracts at the blue line. Montour is a good player who just got what I would consider to be a bad contract. OEL is a decent player who is about to be given a bad contract by Toronto (to be fair, they will LTIR him).

Short term, there will be some growing pains as they refashion the defensive corps, but it's clear that we're sticking with Paul Maurice as coach and the most important thing is that this team retains tough two-way forwards.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
The problem is that Zito will be able to find a PP QB but come playoff time anyone of these available guys are soft, easily pushed around in the playoffs. e.g. Stars let Lundqvist go because he got doghoused due to his size and lack of physicality. ppl may jump with joy that Monty didn't sign with the Panthers but if Zito didn't have a plan B then this is a big loss.

Yeah don't disagree, but you can only work with what's available and the cap space we have. We only have $9.75M cap space left, still need to sign Lundell and add a bunch of 4th liners. Not much to work with unless there's a trade.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I’m just afraid of losing too much attitude…

Montour, Cousins and Lomberg out of that dressing-room could hurt big time IMO.

Exactly. Even though I wasn't a fan of Cousins, all those guys contributed to the Panthers winning the Cup and I don't want this team turn into soft af in a single off-season where all the weight in the world of physicality is on Benny and Chucky.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Exactly. Even though I wasn't a fan of Cousins, all those guys contributed to the Panthers winning the Cup and I don't want this team turn into soft af in a single off-season where all the weight in the world of physicality is on Benny and Chucky.

Agree on this generally, but we'll just have to trust Zito on this. I can see guys like Gadjo, Davies filling in the roles left by Lombo, Cousins, etc.

Reactions: MaWa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad