Speculation: Off-Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Did you actually read the article? It never said Poile shopped Subban. It just said Sakic asked for him for Duchene. And there hasn't been any locker room confrontations here. Clickbait article.

Yeah that was my point. And the sad part is other websites/blogs make posts about that article, and they re-interpret it, by saying "Preds almost traded Subban". Then other blogs re-post it with a title like "Preds tried to trade Subban". etc...

When it gets to that point, most people just think there has to be some truth to it, when in fact, it is absolutely made up.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Watching Rinne in important situations drives me nuts but in terms of class and accountability, he’s an absolute all-star.
that's where people have trouble separating the two and im glad you can see that.

rinne is a great human and i want to see him succeed more than anyone.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yep I would love for Pekka to come out next season and have another great year and then run that all the way to the Stanley Cup. I want to see him succeed because he is such a good guy. His play is up to him though, so when he messes up it's very easy to see. Lots of people gave him serious slack in the Colorado series because of how everyone is playing in front of him, but the longer it continued the less that was going to happen.

You look at the 4 teams left, and the Jets have probably the shakiest goalie left. If Rinne had played well, not perfect but just well, we are probably playing in the WCF. That doesn't mean that others don't get to take that blame as well, if either of Ellis or Josi has a good series, or heck even the entire second line, that is probably the case as well.

The third line didn't have a great series production wise, but they did play decent. They kind of carried things in the Colorado series, you can't expect 3rd line guys to do that, otherwise they wouldn't be 3rd line guys.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Rinne's playoff performance notwithstanding I hope Poile will go ahead and extend him for at least one year this summer at reasonable money. Worst case scenario is he becomes a mildly overpaid backup. And a year of 1A/1B wouldn't be bad either.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sorry but Vasilevskiy is by far the shakiest goalie of those remaining.
Disagree, Hellehoweveryouspellit didn't impress me at all, and when his team wasn't making a wall in front of him stopping everything he gave up lots of goals. Tampa's goalie has been pretty good in these playoffs until last night.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Notice that Rinne said "step aside." Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that sounds like someone who's willing to stay around as the backup and may not request a trade or walk as a free agent when the time comes so that he can be the #1 for another team.

I can also see that fitting his personality. It's hard to imagine him going to another team to pursue personal glory or wealth. He may be happier staying in the Preds family, being with the team if/when they finally win the Cup (even if it's just as the backup) and then retiring with the only NHL team that he's ever played for.

I hope that that's what he decides to do, even if he ends up a bit expensive for a backup. You can afford to have an expensive, veteran backup when your starter is cheap, and it's a good insurance policy.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Saros is an RFA this summer and wont command huge bucks. Hopefully he signs for however long will put him one year short of being a UFA AND Rinne extends for something reasonable like 3 million or so.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Saros is an RFA this summer and wont command huge bucks. Hopefully he signs for however long will put him one year short of being a UFA AND Rinne extends for something reasonable like 3 million or so.

That's exactly the price that I was thinking. $3M would expensive for a backup, when they're often only $1-1.5M or so, but it's pretty tolerable when you consider that that's probably around what Saros will make on his next contract, as well. Having your two goaltenders make a combined $6M is totally reasonable and very common. You probably wouldn't want a cheap goalie backing up Saros, anyways, because Saros is still pretty green and the team is too good to be let down by a backup who can't handle a starter workload if Saros gets injured.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Notice that Rinne said "step aside." Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that sounds like someone who's willing to stay around as the backup and may not request a trade or walk as a free agent when the time comes so that he can be the #1 for another team.

I can also see that fitting his personality. It's hard to imagine him going to another team to pursue personal glory or wealth. He may be happier staying in the Preds family, being with the team if/when they finally win the Cup (even if it's just as the backup) and then retiring with the only NHL team that he's ever played for.

I hope that that's what he decides to do, even if he ends up a bit expensive for a backup. You can afford to have an expensive, veteran backup when your starter is cheap, and it's a good insurance policy.
This. I'd love to see them slide Saros' games up a bit this coming year, and then extend Rinne each year until he can't go anymore as Saros' mentor/veteran backup.

I'd frankly be a little surprised if this scenario didn't just organically materialize anyway. Bridge deal for Saros coming at, say, $2M next year and $3M the year after. Rinne comes down from this last year of $7M to a matching 1-year $3M deal in 2019-20. Then after that Saros is the #1 guy on his next deal, and if Rinne still wants to play he gets more cheaper 1-year deals until he can't do the job anymore. That's the next 3 years taken care of. By then one of our horde of lottery ticket goalie prospects will have emerged. :)

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hopefully, Rinne will turn into a Ryan Miller age-wise and be ag least a really solid backup for a few years. Rinne might not be the guy to lead us to the Cup and his leash should be really short next year.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Main boards with yet another Subban rumor. ~Sigh.
The only trade I would do would have to be for Karlsson with some years attached to him.
Not one realistic deal would make me be happy with it until I got to see results.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Main boards with yet another Subban rumor. ~Sigh.
The only trade I would do would have to be for Karlsson with some years attached to him.
Not one realistic deal would make me be happy with it until I got to see results.

Oiler fan coming in peace

In reading who is saying it--I believe the PK thing is being spread by the montreal media trying to make it look like a better trade then what it is--a very bad trade

I reading and hearing what is being reported--the phrase that jumps out at me is how "Nashville tried to trade PK two years ago for Duschene from the Avs at the time"

problem is this is only PK's second year with the preds--I think the Montreal media is twisting things because they can

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Oiler fan coming in peace

In reading who is saying it--I believe the PK thing is being spread by the montreal media trying to make it look like a better trade then what it is--a very bad trade

I reading and hearing what is being reported--the phrase that jumps out at me is how "Nashville tried to trade PK two years ago for Duschene from the Avs at the time"

problem is this is only PK's second year with the preds--I think the Montreal media is twisting things because they can
Yep but then again it's up there so I'm just pointing my opinion out once again on how I just don't want to move Subban at all.
These boards never cease to entertain me though.
When I read that I knew it was BS because Subban hadn't been traded to NSH yet.

But mainboards sometimes run with those storylines no matter what.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The 1 move I see us doing is moving a top 6-9 (preferably top 9 forward of course) forward for a better 5-6 D and a prospect of some kind.
I guess every team has their weak 3rd pairing but ours has been killing us for a while, and I really don't want to believe that Poile is ok with it.

Reactions: RickP

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’m definitely not on board with trading Subban for another offensive d man, even if said player is EK. That’s not the upgrade we’re looking for. Unless the d man being shipped is one of Josi or Ellis (for that d type).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The 1 move I see us doing is moving a top 6-9 (preferably top 9 forward of course) forward for a better 5-6 D and a prospect of some kind.
I guess every team has their weak 3rd pairing but ours has been killing us for a while, and I really don't want to believe that Poile is ok with it.
The 5-6 D was the least of our issues in this playoffs.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Disagree, Hellehoweveryouspellit didn't impress me at all, and when his team wasn't making a wall in front of him stopping everything he gave up lots of goals. Tampa's goalie has been pretty good in these playoffs until last night.

You were saying.... :sarcasm:

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
The 5-6 D was the least of our issues in this playoffs.

Agreed. Preds needed more scoring up front and didn't get it. I do think the Jets D did a good job of blocking a lot of shots and boxing out. Hellebuck was steady but very insulated. Still, Rinne's erratic play must have really messed with the rest of the players heads. It's tough to play your game when you feel like your goalie is giving up goals that he should have had.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Considering how bad the Bolts have been I'm not sure you put that on the goalie. I'm still not impressed with Hellewhatever. Unless the Jets have created a wall in front of him after getting a lead he has let a lot of goals in.

Wait... you just made the same argument to say one goalie is actually bad and one isnt really bad.

Sorry but Vasilevskiy has give up six or 7 goals multiple times in the last 3 months.

New Jersery was a very marginal playoff team and I'm not sure how Tampa beat Boston...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad