OFF DAY THREAD! Postponement extraordinaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
200.gif

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'm slotting Mario into that since all of the injuries and Darth being a cyborg after OBi tried to tell him don't do it..

Sith Mario, I am your master now!!!

[USER=279067]@EightyOne[/USER] Austin is the Jedi who didn't take. Kind of like Leia, she can hear the force but can't really act upon it.
Found him
7qsDIfg.gif

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well... posters said if pens lost both these weekend games they'd be in trouble.

It was a split basically, no, a total loss as the Islanders got a net gain of 1 point in the standings as well as a RW.
Mears said this 3 game spot with the flyers will be 'fun', but I think it will be anything but. The penguins were NOT having fun on sunday... and even losing 2 out of 3 games in philly will drastically alter their hunt for 4th place.

This work your ass off from behind shit has gone on for long enough already... winning in OT is just like losing in OT.... it's nice to get the point, but it doesnt really help the team at all.

That is the thing with this team... they wont just fall into last place. They are just in perpetual slow painful decline.... kind of like creeping obesity... but in this case creeping mediocrity. Soon they will be the most bland flavor of hockey anyone could bear watching. Instead of the dump and chase / trap they are full on the pressure speed pressure speed can't connect a pass or play unless it's the most obvious choice. They have a creativity leak and unless it's plugged there will be nothing left in the tank.

Sully has to get gone and it's not like it's a knee jerk reaction. Penguins are rarely proactive in this department and would rather watch things fall apart and then sound the alarm bells to react.

I donno. Not much to say here... just new ways to say the same old things.... everyone said it all before already.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Flyers will have a full contingent of players when we play them this week...so no excuses now...see if they can beat them at full strength, and if they can’t, some changes better be made because we can’t tank with no draft picks...

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nothing earth shattering here but why isn’t anyone writing about how average, not as dynamic, Sid has been this year and also lacking points at ES?....feel bad that G gets singled out all the time when others haven’t been good either...

What's wrong with Evgeni Malkin? Analysts anticipate a rebound, but concerns are mounting

Sid started slow but found a groove. He has been visibly better than Malkin. Analytically he's been one of the best top line defensive players around. Last 10 games his production has been fine. His line has been winning match ups. He's got an extra gear or two but it doesn't really warrant talking about.

Malkin started rancid, and has recently rounded out towards erratic but overall bad.

There's a real good reason one's getting singled out and not the other.

Fingers crossed Geno builds off last night. In a way, I hope Sid misses a few more - that responsibility and fans back might give Geno his confidence back.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If Letang is Han Solo then that's gotta mean that Dumoulin is Chewbacca, right?

And who would Luke be? Used to be Sid, but he's matured. Gotta be someone young.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I wonder if sid and geno fight over who gets to play with jake.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I wonder if sid and geno fight over who gets to play with jake.

it’s not Jake in a vacuum...it’s Jake and Rust as a wing combo... because when those guys are going it doesn’t matter which center...also Letang behind Geno really improves Geno’s #s...if you want to get the best version of Geno, you do that (hint: the coach doesn’t want the best version)....also, if you think Sid is better than Geno, needs less help at this point than Geno does, etc, then it’d be nice to see him play the McCann role on last night’s L2...I could see him as a more heady and equally defensive center letting a Tanev- Kap wing combo crash and burn....and with his excellent passing, he could really set up Kap...but he has to be willing to modify his preference for give-and-go plays and play a more transition offensive game

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
it’s not Jake in a vacuum...it’s Jake and Rust as a wing combo... because when those guys are going it doesn’t matter which center...also Letang behind Geno really improves Geno’s #s...if you want to get the best version of Geno, you do that (hint: the coach doesn’t want the best version)....also, if you think Sid is better than Geno, needs less help at this point than Geno does, etc, then it’d be nice to see him play the McCann role on last night’s L2...I could see him as a more heady and equally defensive center letting a Tanev- Kap wing combo crash and burn....and with his excellent passing, he could really set up Kap...but he has to be willing to modify his preference for give-and-go plays and play a more transition offensive game

I don't see any extreme swing from the numbers over the past three years between Malkin with or without Letang. Malkin is actually better without Letang. @Peat you see any difference?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't see any extreme swing from the numbers over the past three years between Malkin with or without Letang. Malkin is actually better without Letang. @Peat you see any difference?

I’m pretty sure I saw numbers last year that showed Geno was helped by playing with Letang....

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I’m pretty sure I saw numbers last year that showed Geno was helped by playing with Letang....

Yeah, but those numbers would be greatly influenced by the fact more often than not he was playing with the ghost of Justin Schultz and Jack Johnson behind him when not with Letang.

That's why I did a three year sample. His expected GF% is basically the same with / without Letang.

I don't think Letang is the essential cog with Malkin. It's having a competent blue liner.

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, but those numbers would be greatly influenced by the fact more often than not he was playing with the ghost of Justin Schultz and Jack Johnson behind him when not with Letang.

That's why I did a three year sample. His expected GF% is basically the same with / without Letang.

I don't think Letang is the essential cog with Malkin. It's having a competent blue liner.
the beauty of that is that we for the first time in a while have two pairs that can actually carry the play and help our TOP 6. This is a huge advantage over last two seasons...Thats why its critical to complete that TOP 6 and find threading water Bottom 6

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Going from memory, there's not much difference, and the dmen that have really boosted Malkin's numbers are 17-18 Schultz and 19-20 Marino. My theory is that Malkin and Letang like to play in kinda the same way in terms of prompting transition and acting as a late coming trailer to a breakout, which means Malkin thrives more with dmen who hit him at the top the zone/don't get too low, but that could be absolute bollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad