Confirmed with Link: OEL signed 4 years 3.5M AAV

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Washington: 6.5 Million for Matt Roy (#2 RD) + Logan Thompson (#2 G)
Toronto: 6.0 Million for OEL (#5 D) + Stolarz (#2 G)

You can tell these guys didn't do their home work.

I don't know how anyone can support this.

I'm ok signing one, 33+ year old contract, but relying on two in your top 4 is high risk for me.

Expecting OEL and Tanev to log 23 minutes a night for the next 4 deep playoff runs is some interesting planning.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Liily and Kampf contract could of got us DeBrusk

I liked Lilly too but not at 3 mil a yr

In Tre we trust I guess

Tanev will make one pairing better …maybe they like Lilly with OEL

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Washington: 6.5 Million for Matt Roy (#2 RD) + Logan Thompson (#2 G)
Toronto: 6.0 Million for OEL (#5 D) + Stolarz (#2 G)

You can tell these guys didn't do their home work.

I don't know how anyone can support this.

I'm ok signing one, 33+ year old contract, but relying on two in your top 4 is high risk for me.

Expecting OEL and Tanev to log 23 minutes a night for the next 4 deep playoff runs is some interesting planning.

We screwed

Reactions: Puckstuff

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
How things change. I remember Chayka or was it ownership? saying he would not trade OEL for a draft choice (Mathews). We end up with both. I like the signing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Sanchez

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Averaged 1:57 on the PP in the reg, and 1:45 in the playoffs. A possible Rielly replacement on the point.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
A number of Leafs fans wanted him on the team for many years and now he's finally here. I just hope he can play well for most of his contract and not hurt the team defensively.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I think our defence is going to be better next year with OEL on it.

I am not convinced in four years from now with OEL on it.

Seems like an unnecessary risk to take.

On a more positive note, even if this ends up bad in years 3 or 4, $3.5M will be moveable either with retention or assets. Not a situation that is good to be in, but someone will take that on. Especially if the money is front-loaded, as we usually structure our deals.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Nothing makes sense and everything makes sense as long as they shed Marners contract and cut JTs in half for him to become a 3rd line centre and the new captain (once that occurs) in Matthews.

Difficult to take these moves in a vacuum. In some ways I prefer they overspend as I know for sure some who shouldn't be on this team won't be affordable regardless.

Until then, I still have no faith. Berube will learn quickly and hopefully he understands that neither fans NOR Leaf players will dislike you for playing hardball with some players ice time and opportunities.

Brab picked up two deep minute D Men. Tanev is a warrior. A younger version of Gio with more speed and hockey awareness.

Reactions: Bellzy

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We've been begging for a point shot on the power play for years, we finally get one who can play 20 minutes a night and you all act like it's the end of the world.

I'm not thrilled, but it absolutely makes us better. Our defense is more well rounded with him.

OEL definitely adds offense and skating, but he's not a 20 minute defenseman unless he really plays a lot better than he has over the last few years.

He'll likely be a 16-18 minute defenseman with a lot of PP time.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nothing makes sense and everything makes sense as long as they shed Marners contract and cut JTs in half for a 4rd line centre and the new captain (once that occurs) in Matthews.

Difficult to take these moves in a vacuum. In some ways I prefer they overspend as I know for sure some who shouldn't be on this team won't be affordable regardless.

Until then, I still have no faith. Berube will learn quickly and hopefully he understands that neither fans NOR Leaf players will dislike you for playing hardball with some players ice time and opportunities.

Well this move makes sense to me in regards to who they let go and how much he makes now.

Consider Edmundson's new deal and who you would rather have. OEL or ED ?

1719857715909.png

Edmundson suited up for 9 regular season games where he went without a point, was a plus-3, averaged 17:48 TOI, put up 16 shot blocks and delivered 21 hits. In 7 post-season contests he recorded an assist, averaged 18:40 TOI, blocked 12 shots and contributed 22 hits in a very rough series.

Reactions: bax

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
OEL definitely adds offense and skating, but he's not a 20 minute defenseman unless he really plays a lot better than he has over the last few years.

He'll likely be a 16-18 minute defenseman with a lot of PP time.
He was over 18 a game for the Panthers, so what is that a shift short of 20, no big deal. Since our D IS WAY WORSE I’d thin he could handle the extra shift a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad