GDT: Oct. 18th: Sabres @ Flames [TV: SN Flames]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I really want to see this, partly because of Ristolainen.

There's a lot of talk about Ristolainen, his defensive ability, and advanced stats at the main boards. At WCoH he looked quite promising, and he has some of that Pronger-esque nasty side in him; fans love him and opposing team fans hate him.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Last time we played Buffalo, Risto had a hat trick. Who cares about his ability to defend :laugh:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ristolainen had a hat trick against the Flames last year. Not only will that fact be mentioned about a dozen times tonight, wouldn't be surprised if he gets another one.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
possible sabres lines per daily faceoff

Sam Reinhart - Ryan O'Reilly - Kyle Okposo
Matt Moulson - Zemgus Girgensons - Hudson Fasching
Tyler Ennis - Derek Grant - Nicolas Deslauriers
Marcus Foligno - Johan Larsson - Brian Gionta

Josh Gorges - Rasmus Ristolainen
Jake McCabe - Zach Bogosian
Dmitry Kulikov - Cody Franson

Robin Lehner - Anders Nilsson

What you'll likely see is the top two lines play big minutes, with the bottom two splitting time pretty evenly.

And yes, Derek Grant playing is not a good thing for us.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

What you'll likely see is the top two lines play big minutes, with the bottom two splitting time pretty evenly.

And yes, Derek Grant playing is not a good thing for us.

I didn't think he looked bad against Edmonton. Then again, I think any Sabres could have looked bad.

No plan to split ROR and Reinhart up as 1 & 2 centers?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well, he's not wrong. This is probably the year Detroit finally misses playoffs. Islanders don't really standout either.

I don't think Detroit will, I think they have a really deep 4 line roster.

The Islanders are far better than Buffalo, one of the top 5 teams in the East IMO. The young talent they have coming into their lineup right now is some of the best in the entire league. Outside of Eichel (who is hurt), Reinhart and Risto, the Sabres lineup is very meh.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
No plan to split ROR and Reinhart up as 1 & 2 centers?

There are a bunch of us that want to see this happen.......and I think it might have happened had it just been Eichel injured. We could have done ROR/Okposo as a duo and then Kane/Reinhart as a pair.

But, Kane broke himself again and we don't have the kind of depth at the wing that would make sense to flank Sam with. Girgensons and who else? And even that's a little sketchy, given how Zem has regressed a bit offensively. Bylsma doesn't trust young guys like Fasching, Bailey or Baptiste yet......and breaking up Foligno-Larsson-Gionta would just be stupid.

So, we load up the top line and have a pretty effective 2nd line and then jah help us.

May 27, 2012
Earth

The Islanders are far better than Buffalo, one of the top 5 teams in the East IMO. The young talent they have coming into their lineup right now is some of the best in the entire league. Outside of Eichel (who is hurt), Reinhart and Risto, the Sabres lineup is very meh.

Abdelkader - Nielsen-Sheahan
Tatar - Larkin - Zetterberg
Nyquist - Helm - Vanek
Athanasiou - Glendening- Miller

That forward core doesn't inspire confidence.

Their D is much worse.

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Ouellet
Ericsson - Marchenko

Kronwall is hurt, but he's barely a top 4 dman anymore.

The loss of Datsyuk is going to hurt them.

Detroit, if they do make it, probably due to the rest of the Atlantic being questionable at this point. The only locks are Tampa and Florida.

The Metro probably takes the 5 spots.

ROR is also on the Sabres, he's hardly meh.

Last edited:

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

Well, as pointed out, you missed our best player.

Also, I know the line of Foligno - Larsson - and Gionta doesn't look like much on paper, but they have been playing like an elite shutdown line for sometime now (going back to last season). Disco Dan will likely try to get them on the ice against Monahan/Johnny Hockey. They did a nice job last game shutting down McDavid.

Right now for the Sabres it's about the bottom 6 not imploding in the minimal minutes they'll play.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't call Okposo, Bogosian or Kulikov "meh" either, but I'm biased. :laugh:

Okposo is overrated. He's not very physical for his size, and honestly he's a 50pt winger. He's a nice player, he's good, but nothing special. Kulikov is underrated I think, but he's no more than a good #4. I'll give you Bogo, he's quite a bit better than his numbers would show. And yeah ROR is really good.

I don't need to expand on Kane. Anyways I'll happily watch the Larson line, they have makings to be a really good line. I would still pick Detroit to have a better record. Their goaltending is better, defence underrated, and I actually really like their forward core.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Okposo is overrated. He's not very physical for his size, and honestly he's a 50pt winger. He's a nice player, he's good, but nothing special. Kulikov is underrated I think, but he's no more than a good #4. I'll give you Bogo, he's quite a bit better than his numbers would show. And yeah ROR is really good.

I don't need to expand on Kane. Anyways I'll happily watch the Larson line, they have makings to be a really good line. I would still pick Detroit to have a better record. Their goaltending is better, defence underrated, and I actually really like their forward core.

I think you are underrating Okposo personally. Look at his production the last three years, he is more like a 65 point player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think you are underrating Okposo personally. Look at his production the last three years, he is more like a 65 point player.

From what I've heard and seen, he doesn't have the best IQ. He doesn't drive the play on a line. A good complimentary player that can finish plays.

Also, if Okposo was so good, why did the Isles opt to go for an player that is 3 years older, arguably past his prime, for only 500k less? The Isles probably could have brought him back if they really wanted him.

Watching Okposo he's never really scared me to play.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
From what I've heard and seen, he doesn't have the best IQ. He doesn't drive the play on a line. A good complimentary player that can finish plays.

Also, if Okposo was so good, why did the Isles opt to go for an player that is 3 years older, arguably past his prime, for only 500k less? The Isles probably could have brought him back if they really wanted him.

Watching Okposo he's never really scared me to play.

Cue the Safeway Score-and-Win.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Anyone know what channel Sportsnet Flames is on Shaw? Trying to see if Ill get the game tonight at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad