O6 and Earlier Danglers

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Whenever the topic of best danglers or best one-on-one players comes up I always hear names like Savard, Lemieux, Jagr, Perreault, Kovalev, Datsyuk, etc. I never hear any names from the Original 6 era and earlier (occassionally I will hear Stan Mikita mentioned).

So my question is...Who were some of the best danglers/stickhandlers of the O6 and earlier eras?

Also, I attribute a big reason as to why most of the players mentioned when this subject comes up are from post-expansion is because the invention of the curved stick greatly aided/improved a player's ability to stick-handle. Is there any other reasons besides the curved stick that we never hear about O6 and earlier danglers as among the best ever?

I look forward to hearing your responses...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In "Putting a Roof on Winter" I read that Charlie Conacher dangled pretty low.... but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

One guy that comes to mind is Max Bentley. He was a wizard with the stick.

Another guy whose bios seem to always mention his stickhandling is Odie Cleghorn. We don't know much about him, but we know he could dangle.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
O6 Danglers and a Misconception

Whenever the topic of best danglers or best one-on-one players comes up I always hear names like Savard, Lemieux, Jagr, Perreault, Kovalev, Datsyuk, etc. I never hear any names from the Original 6 era and earlier (occassionally I will hear Stan Mikita mentioned).

So my question is...Who were some of the best danglers/stickhandlers of the O6 and earlier eras?

Also, I attribute a big reason as to why most of the players mentioned when this subject comes up are from post-expansion is because the invention of the curved stick greatly aided/improved a player's ability to stick-handle. Is there any other reasons besides the curved stick that we never hear about O6 and earlier danglers as among the best ever?

I look forward to hearing your responses...

First let's debunk the curved stick misconception. The curved stick virtually eliminated the backhand pass effectively tightening the area that a dangler could maneuver in.

O6 danglers(forwards) would include Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, Max Bentley, Frank Boucher, Howie Morenz, Milt Schmidt, Norm Ullman, Dave Keon, Buddy O'Connor, amongst others.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
First let's debunk the curved stick misconception. The curved stick virtually eliminated the backhand pass effectively tightening the area that a dangler could maneuver in.

This makes sense, but it had to help in other areas right? I'm sure the wide variety of toe-drag type moves are much easier with a curved stick. Are you saying that the cons of lost space due to the backhand not being much of a threat outweigh the pros? This could very well be true. Also, maybe because that "dangling area" was smaller, defensemen could play their opponent tighter, so when a player was able to pull off a good "dangle" it looked all the more impressive. The tighter play by the defenseman results in more of a "stickhandle in a phonebooth" effect, and looks much more difficult/impressive than the earlier type of play where the defenseman would give his opponent more room to work because he had to worry about the backhand.

Does this follow your line of thought?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Skates

This makes sense, but it had to help in other areas right? I'm sure the wide variety of toe-drag type moves are much easier with a curved stick. Are you saying that the cons of lost space due to the backhand not being much of a threat outweigh the pros? This could very well be true. Also, maybe because that "dangling area" was smaller, defensemen could play their opponent tighter, so when a player was able to pull off a good "dangle" it looked all the more impressive. The tighter play by the defenseman results in more of a "stickhandle in a phonebooth" effect, and looks much more difficult/impressive than the earlier type of play where the defenseman would give his opponent more room to work because he had to worry about the backhand.

Does this follow your line of thought?

You would have to factor in the improvements in skate technology, from tube to blade. Today's skates have more dig than glide, making certain moves easier.

The area issue is also one of options. Players years ago "dangled" so that linemates could get open or beat a d-man one on one.There were more set plays or patterns so getting the d-man to even lean in a certain direction was an edge. Also years ago d-men could lay back since very few players had a shot that was a threat from beyond 40 feet, so the "danglers" would not always be challenged if they were not in threatening areas. Example - into the sixties Henri Richard had a habit of leading a rush then turning back if options were closed and re-starting the rush. If he was chased, openings could be created but if the defense held its position, they could watch an interesting but ineffective show.

The loss of the backhand has the following effects.Passing lanes are reduced. The forehand may be overplayed with little chance of being caught out of position.

Prime examples of the backhand would be the two backhand goals Patrick Kane scored last year in the playoffs - against Roberto Luongo and Chris Osgood. Both instances he was covered fairly well but the backhand created openings, movement against the flow and angles that were not available on the forehand.

Getting to your question about lost space. Lost space is replaced by found space in another area. So if the d-man or checking forward is tighter there is open space elsewhere.The need to dangle is reduced and replaced by quick puck movement to the open area. Simply a matter of being effective depending on the circumstances.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Today's skates have more dig than glide, making certain moves easier.

Only if you want them to.

It is easy enough to request a hollow resulting in more glide than dig from any competent skate sharpener.

In response to the OP, the first names that jump to my mind are Max Bentley and Frank Boucher.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
So................

Only if you want them to.

It is easy enough to request a hollow resulting in more glide than dig from any competent skate sharpener.

In response to the OP, the first names that jump to my mind are Max Bentley and Frank Boucher.

No bearing or relevance to tube skates. Just stating how to adjust blade skates, something that most kids by the age of ten appreciate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad