Proposal: NYR-WSH

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So while Caps are not really forced to get Zuc, they have to consider if he goes to and fortifies a Cup contender making Caps job more difficult down the road.

The Caps learned a lot from Shattenkirk. Add the right player. Don't mess with your team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Huge overpayment, Burakovsky alone as a blue chipper under team control would be enough

No it wouldn't. I'd rather the pick as an asset and not even include him. We need assets to try and get quality talent - whether they turn into that or not. We don't need to fill out our bottom by trading Zucc.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
This should be redone as a Hayes thread since he'd be much more useful than Zuc and a better fit as a versatile mid 6 depth player who wouldn't cannibalize ice time and would probably cost less.

Also no point parting with Burakovsky before the playoff run for a strict rental.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The market will be STACKED this year with rental wingers and Zucc isn't close to the top. He might get a 2nd and a prospect but he isn't getting a young talented roster player and a 1st would be a stretch. The supply and demand wont warrant it.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Burakovsky is frustrating, but he has the ability to get goals from nothing and has a really good finish. He has an x-factor about him. I wouldn't trade him straight up for a rental Zuc, nevermind with +1st+ add ons. Like said above, trade for another talented young player who could just use a change of scenery, or a good pick.

I mean, Bura + 1st + more for a rental? Shiiit, are you sure you don't want a Kuznetsov with that too?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Burakovsky is frustrating, but he has the ability to get goals from nothing and has a really good finish. He has an x-factor about him. I wouldn't trade him straight up for a rental Zuc, nevermind with +1st+ add ons. Like said above, trade for another talented young player who could just use a change of scenery, or a good pick.

I mean, Bura + 1st + more for a rental? Shiiit, are you sure you don't want a Kuznetsov with that too?

Do you want some hyperbole with that post?

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This should be redone as a Hayes thread since he'd be much more useful than Zuc and a better fit as a versatile mid 6 depth player who wouldn't cannibalize ice time and would probably cost less.

Also no point parting with Burakovsky before the playoff run for a strict rental.

Don't see why the Caps would pay for Hayes when they basically have two 1C's.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
lost my way for a bit. Hayes is a 1C?

This year, he's playing like a borderline 1C, but probably slots better as a 2C.

The question is: why does Washington move assets just to play this guy on their third line? They're pretty loaded at center.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This year, he's playing like a borderline 1C, but probably slots better as a 2C.

The question is: why does Washington move assets just to play this guy on their third line? They're pretty loaded at center.

I think he was saying that there is more market for Hayes, not that the Caps would want him. They are more than happy with Eller as well. Not a lot of difference in performance between Eller and Hayes right now

He also said that Hayes would be cheaper. so I am thinking you and he are not 0n the same page on Hayes value.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Don't see why the Caps would pay for Hayes when they basically have two 1C's.

Assuming they decide to pay for someone he's the type of F who would make sense. AFAIK he can play C and RW and can probably hang on LW as well

Big part would be insurance for Oshie/Kuznetsov/Eller/Backstrom/Burakovsky injury, Wilson suspension or Connolly not performing. If everyone is healthy he could either center the 3rd/4th line depending where Eller is or play 3rd line RW with Burakovsky or Connolly shifting to 4LW. He seems like a big body player who could be effective given 10-12 minutes a game but who could handle top line minutes as well. Basically the kind of deadline acquisition who is good isn't top 6 or bust and won't hurt by being too big like Shattenkirk had

I'm guessing some team overpays for him with the intention of giving him top minutes though and the Caps won't outbid them. Caps probably wait as long as possible to see if there's any injuries heading into the deadline, if a top 4 D goes down they'd probably prioritize getting someone to replace them

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The market will be STACKED this year with rental wingers and Zucc isn't close to the top.
I read this every year on these boards and without fail every trade deadline half or more of that "Stacked" rental market has either been resigned or traded. Zucc will be one of the top rental wingers on the market.

Reactions: Dijock94

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I read this every year on these boards and without fail every trade deadline half or more of that "Stacked" rental market has either been resigned or traded. Zucc will be one of the top rental wingers on the market.

Look at the list of UFA's this year compared to the last 3-4, its no where close. It doesn't matter what "people" said over the past few years, this upcoming year is going to unquestionably be the most potent UFA in years and that's assuming half of the players resign with their teams.

There could easily be 5 far far better options on the rental market than Zucc and there aren't usually many more than 5ish teams who are going all in on those types of players. I don't even expect Zucc to get a 1st the supply and demand will be so severe.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

You know a lot of borderline 1C players on pace for 49 pts?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Agreed, esp since the 1st will be very late.
I am seeking 1st min, flexible on the add, but if there are competing offers, the better projected return 1st is the more deserving bid.

So while Caps are not really forced to get Zuc, they have to consider if he goes to and fortifies a Cup contender making Caps job more difficult down the road.
Seen him in the Playoffs, we’ll take our chances without thank you very much.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
No it wouldn't. I'd rather the pick as an asset and not even include him. We need assets to try and get quality talent - whether they turn into that or not. We don't need to fill out our bottom by trading Zucc.
So you want to grade Zuccarello for picks that you hope become players better than Zucarello? Good luck with that.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Assuming they decide to pay for someone he's the type of F who would make sense. AFAIK he can play C and RW and can probably hang on LW as well

Big part would be insurance for Oshie/Kuznetsov/Eller/Backstrom/Burakovsky injury, Wilson suspension or Connolly not performing.
I see what you did there. Preparing a preemptive strike are you? Theres an analogy about Mutually Assurred Destruction in there somewhere but I just can’t make it play.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think Caps learnt their lesson from the whole Shattenkirk fiasco. Most marque name deadline deals lead to little improvement and are often a complete waste of resources.

If some team wants to pay a 1st++ for Zuccarello, so be it. I don't think it will be Caps.

We also signed Shumakov in the offseason. He was injured for quite a while so it's hard to say what kind of player he can be. One thing for sure, at 26 years of age, he did not come to North America to enjoy a long and fruitful AHL career. He'll get a chance in the NHL before to long.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The Caps learned a lot from Shattenkirk. Add the right player. Don't mess with your team.
IIRC The Caps were the only team in the 2nd round last season that didn't trade a first round pick. Worked out alright for them

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Look at the list of UFA's this year compared to the last 3-4, its no where close. It doesn't matter what "people" said over the past few years, this upcoming year is going to unquestionably be the most potent UFA in years and that's assuming half of the players resign with their teams.

There could easily be 5 far far better options on the rental market than Zucc and there aren't usually many more than 5ish teams who are going all in on those types of players. I don't even expect Zucc to get a 1st the supply and demand will be so severe.
So for notable 2019 UFAs at right wing (Zucc's position) you've got Stone, Eberle, Nyquist, Williams, Simmonds, Silfverberg. If you want to add LW it's only Skinner and Panarin. Guarantee Buffalo resigns Skinner. Philly will likely resign Simmonds. That leaves 6 ahead of Zucc, how many make it to deadline rental status?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So you want to grade Zuccarello for picks that you hope become players better than Zucarello? Good luck with that.
No, I'm not saying the pick will become better or not. But Zucc is already over 30, so giving him a big contract makes no sense right now. I don't want to trade him for a bottom 6 player, and I honestly see no room for Burakovsky in our top 6 - so it doesn't make sense to target him. I'd rather get a pick and hope that pick turns into something more valuable. We drafted Miller with the 22nd pick(and who knows what he becomes), but if we can get another prospect like that with the pick from Zucc - I make that trade all day, every day, instead of targeting Burakovsky or giving Zucc a new contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad