Proposal: NYR-TOR-VAN cap shuffle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Omac13

Sep 10, 2010
Newfoundland
To NYR:
Luca Sbisa
Derek Dorsett

Cap In: 6.25M
Cap Out: 6.45M

To TOR:
Dan Girardi (500k retained)
NYR 2nd round pick in 2018
VAN 4th round pick

Cap In: 5M
Cap Out: 5.25M

To VAN:
Joffrey Lupul
Tanner Glass

Cap In: 6.7M
Cap Out: 6.25M

Why the Rangers do this? They free up a protection slot and free up cap space in every year of Girardi's deal, except year 2, where they lose 1.25M in cap space. Small price to pay along with a 3rd for all the benefits received.

Why Toronto does this? They get rid of their worst contract but receive a similar one thats 2 years longer at a position they need (RD). For taking on an additional 2 years of a 5M contract, they pick up a couple picks. They also don't need to protect Girardi as its up to the Leafs if they want to honour that clause. So there is a slim chance Girardi gets claimed to meet the cap floor by Vegas. If that happens, Toronto just picked up a 2nd round pick and received slim cap savings for this upcoming season for doing NYR a favour.

Why Vancouver does this? They get a reclamation project in Lupul. They lose 500k in cap space this season, but save cap space the following 2 seasons as Glass is a gone after this season and Lupul the season after. The cost of that is a 4th round pick.

Its funny you included a trade with Lups and a guy with a last name Glass, because that Is what Lups is made of!

member 157595

The Leafs taking on Girardi is like me eating a full jar of mayonnaise. It looks awful, it's gross, and it's probably going to slowly kill me over the next four years.

:laugh:

Let The Word Be Known: Trading For Girardi = Eating a Full Jar of Mayo.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Dorsett and Sbisa are my least favourite signings since Messier, although he could play and just chose to not do that here.

Even then, Lupul for those two doesn't help us at all. Glass, somehow, less so.

The only part you got right is that wonderboy Benning would probably throw picks at it if he wanted Lupul. I have little positive to say about Benning, but even he's not that stupid.

member 157595

Dorsett and Sbisa are my least favourite signings since Messier, although he could play and just chose to not do that here.

Even then, Lupul for those two doesn't help us at all. Glass, somehow, less so.

The only part you got right is that wonderboy Benning would probably throw picks at it if he wanted Lupul. I have little positive to say about Benning, but even he's not that stupid.

As a Leafs fan, Lupul doesn't fit the profile of the guys Benning has overpaid for in the past. He is about as far from "meat and potatoes" as you can possibly get. He's skilled but he's not physical or good defensively, and he'd dislocate an index finger typing the message I'm typing right now.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Great insight there, care to explain?

The Canucks lose 500k in cap space this season, gain 1M for the following season, and 2.65M the season after that. Canucks come out overall with 3.15M in cap savings total and it costs only a 4th round pick.

Well for one we lose cap in the 3rd season. Sbisa coming off saves us 3.6mil. Dorsett is still a useful 4th liner. Similar players are getting the same money/term as he is. This is just horrible for the Canucks as we are giving up the most and losing in returns.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Sure Girardi is a RHD but hes barely an NHLer any more. No thanks for a bottom pairing 5 million dollar player

Childish Gamsteeno

Jun 24, 2015
Canada
To NYR:

Why Toronto does this? They get rid of their worst contract but receive a similar one thats 2 years longer at a position they need (RD).

Leafs need high-end RD, not low-end. Zaitsev, Carrick, Corrado, and Polak are all better than Girardi and don't come with a boat anchor.. Not worth it to move Lupes, plus then it forces them to waive one of the young guys to begin this season and then give up a protection spot for the expansion draft.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
My mistake, I thought since Girardi has a NMC he would have to waive it to be traded to Toronto and if he did waive it, then it would be up to Toronto if they want to honour that NMC

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
The rangers are not giving up their two mostly highly touted prospects considering they haven't had a first Rd pick in seemingly forever.

Completely fair but it also means they are not moving Girardi ever unless they take back a worse contract (Clarkson, maybe Brown).

To be honest though, with 4 years at $5.5M per that may not be enough to give to move that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad