Proposal: (NYR/TOR/Utah) Marner Liljegren, Trouba Kakko

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Only in a market where Rempe is considered an NHL player would Trouba not be considered a cap dump.
The PWHL is a fun sport you should stick with it. Such a tell when someone has never played hockey that posts here. Dont think contact matters and think advanced stats trump everything. Heavy teams always win in the playoffs it happens every year. There is so much data its undeniable.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Only in a market where Rempe is considered an NHL player would Trouba not be considered a cap dump.

Personally I think they should be calling up Calgary who also needs a big change and trying to do something around Marner for Andersson.

I don't think Calgary would touch that.

The PWHL is a fun sport you should stick with it. Such a tell when someone has never played hockey that posts here. Dont think contact matters and think advanced stats trump everything. Heavy teams always win in the playoffs it happens every year. There is so much data its undeniable.

That used to be true, but recent winners show that the heaviest teams aren't the best anymore. Speed is the key now.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The leafs were a pretty heavy team this year and played physical/defensive game

Our offense went to shit again.

12 goals in 7 games

Im all for trading marner/anyone on the team tbh, I just dont know if the leafs can still win unless the player we get is a natural born leader who comes up huge in big moments

The culture in toronto is rotten. A rebuild may be needed to fix this

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The leafs were a pretty heavy team this year and played physical/defensive game

Our offense went to shit again.

12 goals in 7 games

Im all for trading marner/anyone on the team tbh, I just dont know if the leafs can still win unless the player we get is a natural born leader who comes up huge in big moments

The culture in toronto is rotten. A rebuild may be needed to fix this
Trouba is a righty I think its a good fit. The leafs have lots of forwards that should be able to score Matthews and Nylanders injuries were massive. Marner is a luxury they need a better back end. Kakko also plays a heavy game. I think its a really good trade for Toronto.

Reactions: G Backup

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There's a hockey game on right now. May want to tune in. No ones getting to the net and he's hammering players again. Maybe HF boards should do a corsi cup you guys can all agree on who would hypothetically win your chart simulation.

lol brother I know exactly what Trouba is. He's an okay player. He isn't a force. At literally anything. Even Rangers fans will tell you the same thing.

Reactions: Voight

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Deal done on/after July 1st
(for Trouba NTC/NMC purposes and Marner signing bonus purposes)

to New York Rangers
Mitch Marner (50% retain by Utah) [ 1y @ $5.4515m ]
Timothy Liljegren [ RFA ]
( Rangers receive approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Kaapo Kakko [ RFA ]
Jacob Trouba [ 2y @ $8.0m ]
( Toronto receives approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )
( Utah may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to TOR maybe ? )

to Utah Raptors
2025 NYR 1st Round Pick
( Utah adds $5.4515m in cap, but only $0.3875m actual dollars )
( NYR may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to Utah maybe ? )
You are asking Utah to rat $6M in actual money?

Thst costs about 4 1st round picks.

Werr this a deadline rental trade it would be different

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I doubt Utah will be using cap space to acquire futures... Would shock me if they aren't aggressive in leveraging their massive cap space, draft capital & strong prospect pool to be adding roster talent

Yeah. Doing cap-retention intermediary type deals is a long ways from the sort of splash i think Utah are going to want to make for their inaugural season.

I think Utah is more likely to add a player like Marner, than eat his salary for another franchise.

This. Frankly, i could really see Utah being one of the small handful of teams that might actually be interested in a player like Marner. Regardless of his playoff reputation, he's hugely productive and flashy in the regular season. That can still drum up some excitement and help get a team like Utah make it to the playoffs in the first place.

I could see something around Marner for Schmaltz (poor man's Marner but way cheaper on the cap, though with a rising cash salary that wouldn't bother Toronto)...plus whatever other pieces and futures.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
You are asking Utah to rat $6M in actual money?

Thst costs about 4 1st round picks.

Werr this a deadline rental trade it would be different
Bro, it literally says this in the message you are quoting :

Almost all of Marner's actual money that he gets paid is paid to him on July 1st, and then he gets the final $775,000 (less than 1 million) paid to him throughout the season. Leafs wait until July 1st, pay Marner almost all of his actual money, and then later that day, they trade him to New York via Utah. Utah pays Marner less than $400,000 actual money, and Rangers pay Marner less than $400,000 actual money.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Frankly, i could really see Utah being one of the small handful of teams that might actually be interested in a player like Marner. Regardless of his playoff reputation, he's hugely productive and flashy in the regular season. That can still drum up some excitement and help get a team like Utah make it to the playoffs in the first place.

I could see something around Marner for Schmaltz (poor man's Marner but way cheaper on the cap, though with a rising cash salary that wouldn't bother Toronto)...plus whatever other pieces and futures.
Marner has a full NMC and can basically decide which team he wants to play for. I would imagine that for a lot of players, the New York Rangers would be in the top 5 choices, or maybe top 10, because they get to live in New York City instead of Raleigh or Winnipeg or Salt Lake City or Phoenix or Minneapolis. Nobody here knows if Marner is interested in living in Salt Lake City for a year or not, but the odds are that he's more likely to want to live in New York City.

Reactions: Voight

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Marner has a full NMC and can basically decide which team he wants to play for. I would imagine that for a lot of players, the New York Rangers would be in the top 5 choices, or maybe top 10, because they get to live in New York City instead of Raleigh or Winnipeg or Salt Lake City or Phoenix or Minneapolis. Nobody here knows if Marner is interested in living in Salt Lake City for a year or not, but the odds are that he's more likely to want to live in New York City.

Maybe. Who really knows.

But in this case...i'd think that Marner might just prefer, "Not Toronto" over most other places. That's a city and fanbase that is turning on a guy in a huge way. In a hockey crazed market. That might not be such a fun place to be anymore for a guy who is landing as the biggest scapegoat for a decade of failure and playoff futility.

And since we're totally just speculating and guessing anyway...i could see Marner actually enjoying a nice little reprieve from a fishbowl market, going to a place like Utah where, they'll be more in the spotlight than they were in Arizona...but the pressure and scrutiny is going to be very different there, compared to Toronto. And frankly, Marner doesn't strike me as nearly such a "Big City Lights" NYC state of mind type personality anyway.

Also just totally redundant to the Rangers when they've already got the much much better version of him in Bread Man.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Deal done on/after July 1st
(for Trouba NTC/NMC purposes and Marner signing bonus purposes)

to New York Rangers
Mitch Marner (50% retain by Utah) [ 1y @ $5.4515m ]
Timothy Liljegren [ RFA ]
( Rangers receive approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Kaapo Kakko [ RFA ]
Jacob Trouba [ 2y @ $8.0m ]
( Toronto receives approx $2.0m to $3.0m in cap space )
( Utah may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to TOR maybe ? )

to Utah Raptors
2025 NYR 1st Round Pick
( NYR may be required to dump contract - worst ELC minor leaguer - to Utah maybe ? )

resounding NO
ZERO desire to add MM, soft as butter and not a fit cap or other wise {Rs need to deal vets for spots to give youth mins + help control cap, not the other way around]

could be interested in a separate discussion on Lilj only as Rs like most are thin on RD
but I doubt there is a fit as currency would have to be small overpayment but in secondary prospect Fs (Sykora, BMB) which I doubt is a likely fit for Leafs

Trouba will be dealt b'c NY wants cap relief
we can squeeze by another yr or so, but will find retaining 1.5-ish = 6.5 cap hit returning a 2nd and a 3rd for final 2 yrs of his deal to be worthwhile./best approach. We will thank him and try to send to preferred relocation outside tri state area, most likely, but not nec DET.

Trouba's game, like most, has flaws, but he clears the crease VERY WELL and has heavy but legal eye opening body checks. They don't show up in stats but are effective.

The dis on KK is also wholesale repudiated and rejected.
Played well on kid line w/lesser version of LaF [since promoted].
Now has obv chem w/Cuylle, both screwed when Chytil injured
Solution is add a better pivot to 2 Ws, make dynamic 3rd line, NOT break up line and sell low on a 2OA who still has signif upside and beast factor

great then Leafs should hold him. Trouba is a borderline cap dump and Kakko is nothing special.
completely uninformed = totally wrong, see above

Seems incredible for Toronto.

Only on HF boards would anyone think Trouba is a cap dump. In the real NHL where contact is important he's a force.
Like I detail above, game ha +s and -s. But da bold is true

Again uninformed = wrong
The #s prove I am correct here.
Don't have exact current in front of me but ballpark they are 22-4 with him in lineup, and A LOT WORSE w'o him

Reactions: GCK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad