Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] RW Kaapo Kakko signs extension with the Rangers (1 year, $2.4M)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A living example of the crap-shoot that is the NHL draft--even at the top-end. You expect a lot more out of a second overall draft pick.

But I guess Kakko is like a lot of18-year old hockey players. You just never know.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
You had me totally confused for a second, because it wasn’t clear you were talking about Lindgren’s salary.

I agree a long term deal for Lindgren scares me, but I’m not sure why Lindgren would agree to anything like what you’re proposing anyway. On paper, the guy has been playing top pair minutes on a strong team for a few years now. Everyone, including him, probably knows that it’s only because of his familiarity with Fox, but it’s still likely to put him well into 2nd pair salary range. And that’s $5-6m.
Ooops, this is not the roster building thread. MY BAD!

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’d move him if I were the Rangers, but who knows.

I wouldn’t give him away, but if I could move up in the 1st round or swap him for another change of scenery type (more likely), then I’d be interested. I think it would be best for the team and player. I’m also tired of watching him spin off into the boards every time he touches the puck or hearing about his advanced metrics like he’s a defensive stalwart. I think he tops out as a 40ish point winger who doesn’t PK or play PP1. Add his lack of physicality and I’ve seen enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsAddict

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Certainly not trash. But there is a chasm between them and the rest of the elite teams in the league.

Since the mid-70's they have attempted to use rental veterans to try and make a run to a Stanley Cup.

One time it worked.
The salary cap pretty much put an end to that my guy. It was exactly what the team needed….
Since the lockout, the rangers have been one of the most successful teams.
1 trip to the cup in the lundqvist era, and basically a playoff team very season.
2 trips to the conference finals in the last 3 seasons.
They have a pretty young squad. You have 5 -6 players that are 30 years old or older….
The majority of their team is 26 and under. Shesty 28. Rangers are going to be good for years to come as well……

Besides Panarin, Trochek was the only other Notable UFA player they signed……

And he’s making under 6mill per year……
Rangers have come a long long way since the dark days of signing Gomez/Holik/Drury/etc. type multi-year high dollar deals.

95% of their team or better has either been drafted or acquired thru trade, and the farm is hardly destitute.
They have some solid cheap talent coming up to reinforce the ranks…….

A premier UFA destination will always dip into the pond when it deems in necessary.
But let’s not act like they sign a top UFA every offseason anymore.

Reactions: GAGLine

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s not 25, he just turned 23 in February. Either way, I’d still expect him to be moved for a player in a comparable situation.

Would Nashville do a swap of Tomasino for Kakko? Could be a good change of scenery move for both players.
That’s probably about the best they can hope for. Like I said, nobody’s going to be investing in a trade for him. Meaning they’re not giving up picks or prospects that should trend to hit. Why would you? Doesn’t make any sense. Not for someone who’s still only shown flashes 5 years into his NHL career.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Certainly not trash. But there is a chasm between them and the rest of the elite teams in the league.

Since the mid-70's they have attempted to use rental veterans to try and make a run to a Stanley Cup.

One time it worked.

My guy, its been almost 20 years since the salary cap has existed. I know being in New Jersey makes it *seem* like its still the 90s, but the rest of the world has moved into the future.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
My guy, its been almost 20 years since the salary cap has existed. I know being in New Jersey makes it *seem* like its still the 90s, but the rest of the world has moved into the future.

What does the salary cap have to do that post?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I kind of feel bad for the kid… he plays a responsible 2-way game.
He no cream puff physically, but he’s not a bruiser either. He doesn’t shy away from contact, but doesn’t go around looking to make hits.
He has good hands in tight and around the net, and protects the puck pretty well with his body…..
He doesn’t have enough explosion in his legs to get enough separation to give himself time to make a play…. That usually ends up with him taking a low risk shot, and his shot is average it’s not going to beat a lot of goalies clean .

Kakko needs to improve his footwork, but he also needs to live around the net and pick up the garbage…
One of his best attributes are his hands in tight.
He also needs to play with some offensive talent. Wennberg ain’t it, and I don’t depend on chytil staying healthy enough to play a full season….
I hope if NYR does deal him, it’s to a team that gives him a shot with top 6 talent/minutes…. And at least a chance to earn some decent PP time…..
Those are 2 things that likely never occur if he’s still a ranger..
he probably should be in the PK rotation already, but our PK hasn’t really had too many issues. No reason to change it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad