Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Rangers re-sign JT Miller (2 yr, $2.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Should of locked him up long-term at 4.0-4.5

True, trading for time to whittle down Nash, DG, and Staal I suppose. That being said, good price for 2 years. We'll have to give him 5 mil in 2 yrs if he continues his development on pace.

Figure Hayes will get 2 mil and Mac 1.25 for 2 yrs. Krieder is the wild card.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Kreider and Hayes are still due. Could have been a cap issue.

Kreider is probably getting 4.5-5 million. Hayes is 100% getting a bridge deal similar to Millers. They could have signed Miller longer, the team is just horrendous at cap management.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
As a Rangers fan, I'm happy with the deal. Sure it would have been nice to lock him up for 4+ years @ $4-4.5 mil, but there's risks involved. What if he regresses this year and only scores 12-15 goals? Injuries can derail that contract rather quickly, and there's also the cap issues. Plus who knows if JT would have accepted a long-term contract with a "team friendly" cap hit. To those saying this was stupid and we should have locked him up long-term...maybe they tried to and JT said no?

All in all, I'm happy. Get Kreider and Hayes done next.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Gartner without the stache looks weird to me.
haha
Kreider is probably getting 4.5-5 million. Hayes is 100% getting a bridge deal similar to Millers. They could have signed Miller longer, the team is just horrendous at cap management.
I count around 8M cap space now if Gerbe, Lindberg, Buchnevich, McIlrath, Skjei, Clendening are on the team. Kreider ~4.5-5, Hayes ~2.5-3 is just about that.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
True, trading for time to whittle down Nash, DG, and Staal I suppose. That being said, good price for 2 years. We'll have to give him 5 mil in 2 yrs if he continues his development on pace.

Figure Hayes will get 2 mil and Mac 1.25 for 2 yrs. Krieder is the wild card.

I would be happy to pay him $5 mil per year in 2 years if he continues to develop at this pace. If he does, this contract is a steal and his next one will be fair value. It's a win-win.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Same bridge deal Brayden Schenn signed a few years back. Good deal for New York.

I can't figure out why so many teams are skipping the bridge deals.

I guess it saves in the long run IF the player meets their ceiling..but not all players do.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
great contract by NY. How many RFA years will be left after the two are up?

Should of locked him up long-term at 4.0-4.5

Seems ridiculously cheap... like way too cheap

shrewd across the board
Hopefully, we move Stepan and some other guys and we can extend this one.

If not, this guy hits the UFA market sooner than later and that is not good.

Still, under horrible situation inherited from Slats, good by Gorton.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Thought he'd get one more year to go right into UFA but ok

Why? What team would willingly offer that?

Usually the only way a player hits UFA status at exactly the 7 year/age 27 mark is if they go to arbitration in their final RFA year. Parise did that.

It's possible that Miller will do the same thing 2 years from now, but there was no way the Rangers would offer him a 3 year deal. 2 and maybe 4 years were likely the only ones on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad