Confirmed Trade: [NYR/PIT] Riley Smith to Rangers for 2027 2nd, 2025 5th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
25% makes it better. Unfortunately, Rangers don't have much draft capital outside of the 1st round picks. So it's difficult to make deadline moves should they be in the hunt. I really think we need to sit down with Zibanejad and Kreider and throw some blame that way, because if this doesn't work out, 12 RW players since trading Buchneivch screams maybe it's not the RW player.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Reilly Smith is 100% having a bounceback in New York without question.

That being said. Dubas would've been lucky to get a 2nd at the deadline for him. So fair play.
The guy is basically a 20 to 25 max goal scorer. It's a bit of a random trade.

Not sure what the Rangers cap looks like. I believe Lafreniere is due for a big raise and Shesterkin's camp is apparently asking for a ton of money for his next deal. They can possibly take a step or so back next season but will still be a playoff team 100%. Too good not to make it.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
I have no clue what to think of this guy, the Pens are happy to drop him, but also read he didn’t want to be with the Pens

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think he will be happier in NYC. I also don't think you could get what he brings for $3.75mil on an expiring contract in FA so overall, good deal for both sides.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
It's not a bad move for PIT or NYR. But it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Honestly, nothing Dubas has done in PIT has made any sense to me.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
He was great to start the year and then started giving zero f***s. Will probably bounce back with the rangers
It was strange. He looked to be gelling with Malkin almost immediately, had a good start, looked to be enjoying his hockey. And then.....one long stretch of nothing.

Even the revival the team had in the last 10-15 games didnt see him do jack. Very happy to see him gone.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This move is basically Dubas trying to fix his earlier mistake of acquiring Smith in the first place. He was a terrible fit in Pittsburgh (in every possible way) and the move was largely considered a flop about 3 months into the season.

Good that the Pens are moving on, but the blame here is on Dubas for acquiring this player in the first place.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I actually don’t mind what Dubas is doing so far this summer. Basically traded Smith for Hayes and 2 2nds that’s pretty good. Gryzlyck and Beauvillier are both cheap, low risk signings.

The problem is that we were not all that competitive last season and I think we needed a big fish in FA which he failed to do.

Tarasenko probably the last impactful player left hopefully we get him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This move is basically Dubas trying to fix his earlier mistake of acquiring Smith in the first place. He was a terrible fit in Pittsburgh (in every possible way) and the move was largely considered a flop about 3 months into the season.

Good that the Pens are moving on, but the blame here is on Dubas for acquiring this player in the first place.
Agreed, it is so Dubas to help out Vegas in a cap crunch by taking Smith to get him off the cap last summer, he even trades a 3rd rd pick in this draft as a tip to Mccrimon, but somehow gets praise for getting a 2nd rd pick not in next year's draft or the year after, but in 2027. People will wake up this guy has always been a fraud of a GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad