Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Lias Andersson loaned to HV71 in SHL

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I mean, good that he gets to play again. But I question what the hell Andersson is thinking. Clearly teams weren't lining up around the block to cough up for him + gift him NHL time (shocker). Does he think that'll change in the offseason? Or that somehow playing in the SHL is better for his development at this point than the AHL? The guy needs to put his head down and grind it out in North America at this point if he wants an NHL career.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Why do I have a feeling that when this story gets told, it's going to be really messed up and make a while lot more sense.

From another thread.

Hello? Why is no one sharing this? It sounds to be that he got bullied or had some nasty arguments with the staff or something...

Lias Andersson speaks out

It was a guarded but forthcoming Lias Anderson that spoke about his situation. “People can say it’s an idiotic decision in regards to my hockey career - but they don’t know the whole story” is the opening quote from Lias, who is wearing a pair of slippers as he cant fit his feet into a pair of shoes, he played the last games with both Hartford and New York Rangers with injured feet. In the end he left USA on the first possible flight.

-”There has been many incidents, but I can’t divulge everything, I will do that at a later stage. There has been many incidents that has hurt me on a personal level, things that has made me struggle mentally. In regards to hockey this might be an idiotic decision but I have to think about my private life too.”, Lias falls silent, “I feel like I have lost the hunger and drive for [hockey] at the moment - and all these incidents has affected me. I feel like I have to get this under control first and foremost.”

-”I know I am good enough to play over there, I think I proved that during the preseason. I thought I grabbed one of the centre spots behind Mika Zibanejad, but...”, Lias falls silent again, “My hockey confidence is probably in there somewhere but mentally it has been tough due to some things. That’s the problem.”

-”There is a career that is more important than hockey, that career includes friends, family and my health. Hockey wise this might not be the smartest decision, we have to wait for the verdict a couple of years, if I want to play in the NHL. However, hockey is played in many places. Many people believe I have made a hockey decision but I have made this decision with my future health on mind.”

-”Dad understood why I left, and more people will. I have spoken with my friends and my agents they really do understand why I left. That feels comfortable. When you don’t know the whole truth this will look like an idiotic decision, but I am no spoiled brat who moans about not playing for the New York Rangers. That’s not the point there are other factors.”

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I mean, good that he gets to play again. But I question what the hell Andersson is thinking. Clearly teams weren't lining up around the block to cough up for him + gift him NHL time (shocker). Does he think that'll change in the offseason? Or that somehow playing in the SHL is better for his development at this point than the AHL? The guy needs to put his head down and grind it out in North America at this point if he wants an NHL career.
I am sure there were offers, but they were probably lowballs (as tends to occur when a player asks for a trade).
Rangers GM is better off not bending over to get taken advantage of, lest it appear a trend.
Sometimes it's better if other organizations don't look at you as manipulable. Loaning Andersson to Sweden is a power-move and it tells other clubs AND your own players: "if you want him, come to the table with something legitimate, otherwise he can rot and say goodbye to his NA pro career"

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I don’t know the whole thing about Andersson but I think it’s maybe the best for him to take a step back from the NHL maybe 2 years and work on himself in a good league. I still believe in the guy

Reactions: bukwas and egelband

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
While in the context of the whole thing being really stupid, this was probably the smartest thing he and the Rangers could do.

His value not playing was no good to anyone in terms of facilitating a move.

Let him play, rebuild his value and get traded.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Couldn't find a taker via trade eh?
Rangers don’t want to move him. They don’t want to give in to his demands and want to work it out but apparently Lias is still scarred and won’t even talk to JD in person, only through his agent

Reactions: Morrison

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Rangers don’t want to move him. They don’t want to give in to his demands and want to work it out but apparently Lias is still scarred and won’t even talk to JD in person, only through his agent
Scarred? Wtf did they do to him?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark