Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This dude was one of their best players in the playoffs. Showed more grit and heart than most of their stars.

Rangers fans want to explain the thinking here? He's on the team for the playoffs, not the regular season.

Reactions: Laus723

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's been awhile since there were this many teams with this much Cap space available. And it's not exactly a banner UFA year either. So if anybody is ever going to pick up Goodrow, now was a good time to give it a go for the Rangers. Whether a buyout follows or not. :dunno:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I can kind of see the rationale for waiving him. Goodrow can block a trade to half the league, so if a team like the Sharks wanted him, claiming him on waivers is likely the only way they could add him to the team. They would get blocked on a trade, and Goodrow would likely pick a more competitive team to join if he were to get bought out. I still don’t think it’s likely that he gets claimed, but I think I understand the purpose.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
This dude was one of their best players in the playoffs. Showed more grit and heart than most of their stars.

Rangers fans want to explain the thinking here? He's on the team for the playoffs, not the regular season.
yeah I'll explain the thinking here, $3.6Mx3 for a 4C when you have Edstrom, Rempe, Othmann, Berard, Sykora, all needing more minutes in the show.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

He’s overpaid and they need the money to use elsewhere. If he was making a million a year it wouldn’t be an issue.

It’s not rocket science

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

Need the 3.6 to put towards players that aren't 4th liners.

Goodrow's shooting percentage going through the roof in the playoffs doesn't change his garbage regular season

That money will go towards a RW or Defenseman that will make a bigger impact than him

Jan 21, 2018
Isles sign him for 1M and sticks it to the Rangers :sarcasm:

That reminds me of the time the Isles signed Panarin and sticks it to the Rangers

Oh wait that didn’t happen, I forgot no one wants to play in NYI

Goodrow isn’t signing for 1M with NYI when he can get that contract with almost any other team. Remember, the isles need to overpay with term and/or salary because they are not an ideal free agent destination.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Let's take a step back from who the player is or why the player may have performed so badly. You don't carry a 3.6 million cap hit on a player just because he steps up during playoffs while offering nothing during the regular season. Because that's what we're talking about here, an absolute negative during the regular season for 3.6 million. Sure, maybe we can say the 4th line was bad in general or that Goodrow wasn't fully healthy and is better than last years regular season showing, but in the end he was not nearly good last year to justify holding for playoffs. The biggest problem they have isn't finding a Goodrow replacement, but rather that Goodrow is the one stepping up instead of other players they devote more ice time and count on.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
That reminds me of the time the Isles signed Panarin and sticks it to the Rangers

Oh wait that didn’t happen, I forgot no one wants to play in NYI

Goodrow isn’t signing for 1M with NYI when he can get that contract with almost any other team. Remember, the isles need to overpay with term and/or salary because they are not an ideal free agent destination.
Thank you for your comments. :thumbu:

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Brutal business...

He was awful in the regular season, but good in the playoffs, scored some huge clutch goals and was good on the PK. Given his track record though, you could argue he's someone who consistently elevates in the playoffs.

Still, a 4th liner making 3.6M is just bad value. No ill will, appreicate some of the goals he scored in the playoofs. Hopefully someone bails out the Rangers and takes him.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Could EDM/FLA technically claim him and put him in the lineup in the finals?

I know neither team would do it but it makes me curious if that's allowed.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Could EDM/FLA technically claim him and put him in the lineup in the finals?

I know neither team would do it but it makes me curious if that's allowed.
No, anyone not on your lineup by 3pm deadline day can't play in the playoffs. Of course like your prospects and whatnot are a different story.

Buyouts can't happen until a certain date, or 48 hours after the final.

Maybe this is the Rangers telling him he sucks, so accept a trade somewhere?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad