Speculation: Nylander XXII - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Leaf haters really showing their true colours in this thread lmao.

I do in no way hate the franchise Toronto. But some of their fans here on HF think this board is AM34’s fanpage or something.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I do in no way hate the franchise Toronto. But some of their fans here on HF think this board is AM34’s fanpage or something.
Some do I guess along with some of all other players. I don't believe that you hate the Leafs though.

Reactions: Jayan

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Some fans are indeed annoying, but every fanbase talks about players on here, and many go on and on about specific players.

We just have a higher number of posters

Reactions: Jayan

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Well yes there is what 8 years difference. Why would you pay for previous sucess? Marner is better right now and that is all that matters.
But Marner is restricted and again, Marner's sample size of elite production is incredibly small.

By this logic you'd say Morgan Rielly is better than Karlsson

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Sure, Tavares took less money to sign in Toronto, but that’s only because he is a hometown boy and he has, for the entirety of his life, been bombarded by the Leafs propaganda machine. This does not reflect on San Jose Vs. Toronto as cities; only as places for pajama boy to play hockey.

Silicon Valley is responsible for pretty much the entirety of high tech. Toronto is responsible for Drake, Justin Bieber, and...well, you kinda get the point.

If you really want to compare the Bay Area and Toronto as cities, even for an athlete to play, take a look at the NBA. DeMarcus Cousins took like 10-25% of what he could have made in order to play in the Bay Area. Meanwhile Kawhi Leonard requested a trade, and was furious and avoided the media for over a month after his destination was revealed to be Toronto. :laugh:
Toronto is really the center of hockey though. The reason there is a 'Leafs propaganda machine' as you state is because of how enormous hockey is here. The Leafs are the most popular hockey team in the world and Toronto produces so many NHLers for a reason.

To say the Bay Area is home to all sorts of tech companies and then name a couple celebrities as Toronto's only importance is disingenuous. Have you ever been to Toronto? The Golden Horseshoe area is home to 9.25 million people, which is about 30% of Canada's population. Toronto is by far Canada's largest city in terms of population and economics and is also home to all of our major banks as well as the Canadian headquarters of most American and international companies that operate in the country. It also offers one of the highest qualities of life available on the planet.

Don't make it seem like Toronto is some garbage city. Yes, Tavares took a hometown discount to come here. Maybe he would rather live and play hockey here than in California. Seriously, Toronto is a GREAT place to live, especially if you're rich.

Finally, your use of Kawhi as an example of Toronto being a trash city is kind of funny. Take a look at how the guy who was traded for him (DeRozan) felt about leaving the city. And Kawhi seems pretty happy here too. Guy bought a house here and the team is one of the top in the NBA!

Reactions: amethyst

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The general feeling when i see these posts is that Leafs organisation and fans seem generally cheap. In other franchises if someone does really well, we simply pay the guy.. you guys try to undercut and weasel your way out of every single contract... oh well and here we are.

If you tank for a decade, you are gonna end up with alot of big contracts when all those top-draft picks break out of ELC.

Nah but u keep Marleau at $6,250,000 and Kadri at $4,500,000, and pay a medicore no-name goaltender $5,000,000.

Pathetic.
Mediocre no name goaltender.....932 save%.....leading the league in wins.

Credibility=less than zero.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Great player who is fun to watch, I don't want to see the Leafs get any better but I'd hate to see this guy miss the season and surely wouldn't want EP or Brock sitting out on us so I feel for Leafs fans (even though they're already damn good).

In the end the best team should win the cup and if Nylander puts the Leafs over the top everyone should just suck it up and appreciate the incredible amount of skill throughout the league.

I hope this all settles and everyone can untie their panties!

Reactions: Drew311

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The shift has very much already started.

Hell, not that this is about McDavid, I love him as a player, but one could argue he doesn't deserve almost 13m straight out of ELC, no way.

Him as a UFA, 100% for sure, he would have earned that right (not in points and awards, but in time playing) Is he a 13m dollar player, yes! is he a 13m dollar player out of ELC, nobody should be.

So yes, the shift has very much already started, and there is no going back.
I think the issue is more with the old school way of thinking. Imo there's no way to justify that UFAs should earn more than RFAs. Players should be paid based on performance and nothing more. Teams should not be able to strong arm RFAs into lesser contracts simply because of the way the CBA is written. I'm glad the financial landscape is changing in the NHL and frankly I'm tired to seeing UFAs making more than RFAs who are twice the players than them.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I think the issue is more with the old school way of thinking. Imo there's no way to justify that UFAs should earn more than RFAs. Players should be paid based on performance and nothing more. Teams should not be able to strong arm RFAs into lesser contracts simply because of the way the CBA is written. I'm glad the financial landscape is changing in the NHL and frankly I'm tired to seeing UFAs making more than RFAs who are twice the players than them.

Yeah, also good points. I just don't know how one builds a dynasty, keeps all the players they draft, without more cost control. I am just thinking from a whole team aspect, and for the fans of those teams, they watch drafted players leave.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, also good points. I just don't know how one builds a dynasty, keeps all the players they draft, without more cost control. I am just thinking from a whole team aspect, and for the fans of those teams, they watch drafted players leave.
Fair concerns as unfortunately the fans of one team suffer while the fans of another benefit. Modern dynasties are definitely hard if not impossible to have which is kind of what the league wants. I think if it was that important to owners they would take the pay cut necessary to raise the salary cap, but they obviously aren't willing to do that.

Reactions: DanM

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Simple solution is to remove the cap all together. In fact they should remove the draft and each team should bid on players every year. If the Toronto Maple Leafs want to pay Nylander $16 million why shouldn't they? They have the money to and players would get paid a lot more.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Lived in Toronto my whole life the real Toronto lansdowne n Bloor, dufferin n Bloor what’s now called junction triangle or some hipster **** lived in NY for 6 weeks for work **** Toronto can’t compare to NY but I’m Portuguese also and I think for Tavares it was the family thing that was the difference porkchops very family oriented most of the time and I guess the US is a mess so I’d leave but Toronto can not compare to NY nightlife food material **** exotic **** NY really has everything !!

What

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So any news yet? I really don't see him getting traded at this point but I also don't see him getting signed. Boring ending would be him getting signed and all of this being a massive waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad