Speculation: Nylander Thread VI - Return of the Agent (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
...All the power is in Nylander's hands. Either the Leafs cough up the cash or trade him for a disappointing return.

The Leafs have full control over whether he plays in the NHL for the next 4 years, so the power is most certainly not in Nylanders hands. As demonstrated by Tavares though, that changes once a player has played 7 seasons in the league. Then, they have the power.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Toronto has to do something. They may have 2 wins in 3 but they're not as good as they should be. I think Nylander is either signed or traded within the next few weeks.

member 157595

Toronto has to do something. They may have 2 wins in 3 but they're not as good as they should be. I think Nylander is either signed or traded within the next few weeks.

I remember one time like 15 or so years ago where Trent f***ing Klatt had 4 goals in the first two games.

Sample. Size.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Here's an out there trade...

TO TOR
- Simmonds (if agrees to sign a 4 year extension at reasonable money)
- Rubtsov
- 2nd round pick

TO PHI
- Nylander (if he agrees to sign a 6-7 year deal)

The Leafs get a gritty, leader who is a gem on the PP and will give Matthews all the space he needs. On the Leafs, Simmonds could easily score 30 and he is perfect for playoff wars. He's older than Nylander, and not as skilled, but he is better in other areas, including leadership and intangibles. He could also fit into the Leafs short-term salary plans and produce close to on par as Nylander for the next few years, while bringing other elements to the table. Rubtsov and the 2nd rounder just give the Leafs additional assets to add to their cupboard.

For the Flyers, they lose a leader and glue guy like Simmonds, but they add a younger, more dynamic player who could fit into the long-term core with Patrick, Konency, Provorov, Gostisbehere, etc. Nylander's skill set makes him the perfect candidate to someday replace Giroux as the Flyers leading scorer, 3 or 4 years down the line.

If the Leafs' goal is to win a Cup or two, Simmonds could definitely help them in that regard. The Flyers are looking more for long-term success IMO, and Nylander would suit them better.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Here's an out there trade...

TO TOR
- Simmonds (if agrees to sign a 4 year extension at reasonable money)
- Rubtsov
- 2nd round pick

TO PHI
- Nylander (if he agrees to sign a 6-7 year deal)

The Leafs get a gritty, leader who is a gem on the PP and will give Matthews all the space he needs. On the Leafs, Simmonds could easily score 30 and he is perfect for playoff wars. He's older than Nylander, and not as skilled, but he is better in other areas, including leadership and intangibles. He could also fit into the Leafs short-term salary plans and produce close to on par as Nylander for the next few years, while bringing other elements to the table. Rubtsov and the 2nd rounder just give the Leafs additional assets to add to their cupboard.

For the Flyers, they lose a leader and glue guy like Simmonds, but they add a younger, more dynamic player who could fit into the long-term core with Patrick, Konency, Provorov, Gostisbehere, etc. Nylander's skill set makes him the perfect candidate to someday replace Giroux as the Flyers leading scorer, 3 or 4 years down the line.

If the Leafs' goal is to win a Cup or two, Simmonds could definitely help them in that regard. The Flyers are looking more for long-term success IMO, and Nylander would suit them better.

Any trade involving Nylander will bolster the blueline.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
All the power is in Nylander's hands. Either the Leafs cough up the cash or trade him for a disappointing return.

What? :laugh:

Nylander has ZERO leverage. If he continues to hold out, the Leafs don't have to do anything, just as if he was injured. By the end of this week, based on an approx. $6 million/year deal, he would have lost a quarter million bucks. By the end of this month, it's about a million. What power does Nylander have?

No GM is going to pay him $8 million unless he is an idiot. If that same idiot wants to offer sheet him for $8 million, the Leafs take the picks and use the extra cash to upgrade elsewhere, maybe even doing better than they would in a trade.

If they don't drop their price, Willie doesn't play hockey and loses millions. As much as he would look great in our lineup right now, Dubas won't be the one blinking first.

They're caving, and they're caving soon. There's a very real chance after they cave and signs for his $6 to $6.5 a year, he gets traded anyway. I think he may have worn out his welcome with Dubas and Shanahan.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
He's older than Nylander, and not as skilled, but he is better in other areas, including leadership and intangibles.

30 year old who's career high in points is less than what Nylander has hit twice before turning 22. Coming off a down year. Plus he's a UFA so the cap savings are not going to be great. Wouldn't be surprised if he's between $5 and $6 million.

Not worth "leadership and intangibles". Not to mention there is zero reason to trade Nylander for another winger.

Reactions: Mork

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Why they're not trading him for a defenseman is beyond me

They clearly have no problems scoring at all and but have a god awful defense.

They dont need Nylander up front one bit

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
lol

3 games in and THE LEAFS MUST DO SOMETHING!!!!!

Who says they aren't? Is the concept of weighing their options beyond the first few games of the regular season also beyond you?
All the power is in Nylander's hands. Either the Leafs cough up the cash or trade him for a disappointing return.
LOL first I've heard that one and for good reason too

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
30 year old who's career high in points is less than what Nylander has hit twice before turning 22. Coming off a down year. Plus he's a UFA so the cap savings are not going to be great. Wouldn't be surprised if he's between $5 and $6 million.

Not worth "leadership and intangibles". Not to mention there is zero reason to trade Nylander for another winger.

He's also the posterboy for breaking down into a 3rd/4th liner for the 60 games he's healthy by 34. That lanky frame has taken a lot of abuse in front of the net, at least guys like Holmstrom had a little extra padding to soften the blows.

member 157595

Either Dubas doesn't want to trade Nylander for any price at all or no one has offered a defenseman worth a damn. Which of those situations seems more likely to you?

You never say you want to trade a player publicly.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

That's easy to say but first you need a team willing/able to take Nylander long term and has an avaliable d man that fits what the leafs needs would be. You also don't move Nylander for the sake of moving him so if the value isn't there you don't trade him. That being said I wouldn't trade Willy because realistically there isn't a D man available to justify it

Last edited:

member 157595

That's easy to say but first you need a team willing/able to take Nylander long term and has an avaliable d man that fits what the leafs needs would be. You also don't move Nylander for the sake of moving him do if the value isn't there you don't trade him. That being said I wouldn't trade Willy because realistically there isn't a d man available to justify it

Some people in this thread are waiting for exactly that, a trade they can make fun of.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007

The only D worth trading for was Hamilton, apparently. Are you open to trading Nylander for Faulk? The return for Adam Larsson was Taylor Hall... are you willing to trade Nylander for a "good" defenseman instead of trading him for a "very good" forward, etc?

I think something around Nylander for Sanheim makes sense for both teams, but the Leafs (fans) will want this great, young defenseman for Nylander (Provorov) and it won't ever happen.

An interesting trade would be something around Nylander for Ristolainen but the Sabres cannot afford to remove Ristolainen from their blue line.

member 157595

The only D worth trading for was Hamilton, apparently. Are you open to trading Nylander for Faulk? The return for Adam Larsson was Taylor Hall... are you willing to trade Nylander for a "good" defenseman instead of trading him for a "very good" forward, etc?

I think something around Nylander for Sanheim makes sense for both teams, but the Leafs (fans) will want this great, young defenseman for Nylander (Provorov) and it won't ever happen.

An interesting trade would be something around Nylander for Ristolainen but the Sabres cannot afford to remove Ristolainen from their blue line.

No Leaf fan with a brain thinks Philly would move Ivan Provorov for William Nylander.

Sabres don't have D to spare, like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad