Proposal: Nylander for Hanifin +

SnipeNCelly

Feb 24, 2019
Really helps both sides . I know this is a continuous subject but curious if there’s any weight to some rumors and speculation. Can this work ?

TOR: Nylander
CGY: Hanifin +Vladar? Or 2nd rd pick 2024?

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Really helps both sides . I know this is a continuous subject but curious if there’s any weight to some rumors and speculation. Can this work ?

TOR: Nylander
CGY: Hanifin +Vladar? Or 2nd rd pick 2024?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was a report a month or two ago saying Hanfin wanted to go to a US team.

If true, and seeing Hanifin has an 8-teal no trade and is UFA after the upcoming season, I don't see how this works for Toronto.

Nylander is the better asset, but I could see them trading him if the contract demands are out of hand. In that case, I imagine a player with term/ team control would likely have value to Toronto.

SnipeNCelly

Feb 24, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was a report a month or two ago saying Hanfin wanted to go to a US team.

If true, and seeing Hanifin has an 8-teal no trade and is UFA after the upcoming season, I don't see how this works for Toronto.

Nylander is the better asset, but I could see them trading him if the contract demands are out of hand. In that case, I imagine a player with term/ team control would likely have value to Toronto.
Definitely see Nylander being the piece that’s the most moveable seeing how Matthews is up for extension aswell as marner a year later . The core in TOR is more about money than winning . Could a sign a trade with Hanifin work than ? I think Hanifin wanting to go to the US gets thrown out if he lands in a place in the east imo

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If Nylander wants to sign 8.5x8 then I do this deal all day. If not then it makes zero sense for the Flames.

Reactions: Nanuuk

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Hanifin is way more acceptable than Pesce. A guy with a lot of prime years left rather than a stay at home D with a lot of mileage looking for that big pay day he never got.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
One of those deals that almost makes too much sense. Hanifin gets the Treliving connection and also reunited with both Giordano and Brodie, significantly raising his chances of signing there. Gives Toronto a cheaper player and also strengthens their blue line. Nylander goes to his “hometown”, and also probably raises the chances of a bunch of their other UFAs sign in Lindholm and Backlund. Calgary has the cap space to match Nylanders raise by letting some of their lower in the lineup UFAs go and replacing them with ready to go rookies in 2024 (~6 million can be spared by replacing Dube, Zadorov, and Vladar with Coronato, Poirier, and Wolf).

I’d be willing to attach pretty much any pick to bridge the gap between Hanifin and Vladar/Dube for Nylander. A Huberdeau-Lindholm-Nylander line could be explosive.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnipeNCelly

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Hanifin reportedly wants to play in US.
Nylander probably wants more than Flames are willing to pay, assuming he even wants to extend with them.
I think the money thrown around is what the Leafs need to cough up for Nylander to stay a leaf. He likely would accept less money to play somewhere else.

Ledge And Dairy

A few things
1. Lindholm would have to sign an extension or be in known extension talks,or trading for Nylander would be pretty pointless for the Flames.
2. Both players would have to not have the other team on their respective no trade lists (I actually find it more likely Calgary is on Nylander's list)
3. Both players would have to be willing to sign an extension after a trade.

As for the value, I highly doubt Hanifin + Vladar would get get it done. Hanifin+ Dube maybe, but not Vladar. If the cap is too tight for Toronto Calgary could probably take back Timmins too

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
A few things
1. Lindholm would have to sign an extension or be in known extension talks,or trading for Nylander would be pretty pointless for the Flames.
2. Both players would have to not have the other team on their respective no trade lists (I actually find it more likely Calgary is on Nylander's list)
3. Both players would have to be willing to sign an extension after a trade.

As for the value, I highly doubt Hanifin + Vladar would get get it done. Hanifin+ Dube maybe, but not Vladar. If the cap is too tight for Toronto Calgary could probably take back Timmins too
I'd actually be fine with Hanifin plus dube, if there was a nylander extension in place and Lindholm made it clear he wants to resign.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
In any trade that's not future related, Nylander would need to have some agreed extension in place. Same with any UFA that Nylander is being traded for. So the problem is "How much does Nylander really want?" Is it really true he wants close to 10 million? Because that might make it difficult to do anything non-future related.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Nylander has inflated numbers playing with elite centres. Hanifin is the more value contract and the more vital position. Nylander would never get close to those kind of numbers in Calgary. This had been proposed about 27,567,998 times and has gotten old. I’d only take Nylander if we signed him in UFA. No interest in trading for him. Especially when Flames trading the more valuable asset and adding on top of that.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Nylander has inflated numbers playing with elite centres. Hanifin is the more value contract and the more vital position. Nylander would never get close to those kind of numbers in Calgary. This had been proposed about 27,567,998 times and has gotten old. I’d only take Nylander if we signed him in UFA. No interest in trading for him. Especially when Flames trading the more valuable asset and adding on top of that.
What linemates is Nylander generally paired with? And does he get PP1 minutes?

Ledge And Dairy

Come on man, I'm not even a huge Nylander fan and I would never say Hanifin has more value than him. Matthews is an elite center sure, his numbers were probably a bit inflated with him, but Tavares is no where near that level a player anymore. He also never played with Marner, the 3rd player was always some middle 6 plug (Bunting, Kerfoot, Jarnkrok). He will probably never hit 90 points but I could absolutely see him getting 80 again playing with Lindholm and Huberdeau on the first line.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Enough with the Melander to the Flames nonsense , every GM in the league knows he's 10 ply Baby Wipe soft , Look at the teams that made the finals and ask yourself , were they soft ? Every contender is copying those two teams and getting tougher not softer . The Flames were basically 2 muffins against Markstrom from making the playoffs last year and they know Willy is not going to be the difference in the post season so it's a no brainer hard pass .

Reactions: Haatley

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hanifin has stated he wants to play in America close to home. Toronto isn’t that.
Add to this fact that Nylander is demanding 10+ per on his next contract too. Flames would get a much better return for Hanifin from a US club. Maybe Columbus?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Add to this fact that Nylander is demanding 10+ per on his next contract too. Flames would get a much better return for Hanifin from a US club. Maybe Columbus?
Not after acquiring Provorov. Werenski-Provorov-Hanifin would be an incredible left side (and funny since they were the top three D in the 2015 draft) but Columbus isn't in the rental market yet and there's no chance they'd extend Hanifin when two of their top three prospects are LD (Svozil, Mateychuk).

Reactions: YP44

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think Nylander will get anywhere near $10M. He is dreaming in technicolour. Sooner or later he and his agent will wake up to the realities of life and sign for less. $9M tops, but $8.0-8.5M would be more realistic.

Whether that is in T.O. or elsewhere is the question.

I think Hanifin, Vladar would be a fair trade (although I'd be inclined to hold on to Vladar) for Nylander IF he indicated he would sign for the above $8.5M.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If nylander wants to sign 8.5x8 we’d probably just keep him lol
And there lies the Nylander problem for the Leafs. He’s asking for money nobody is probably willing to pay. Making a trade very unlikely.

It’s looking more and more like he will end up going to market next July. If he then gets what he’s looking for, he’ll leave. If he gets a dose of reality, he’ll probably re-sign IF the Leafs still want him next July.

There’s just too many moving parts with him to think a trade is going to happen. If they can’t get a legit, pair carrying dman, why trade him honestly? They won’t get a forward in return, who will give them the same production this year. If they moved him as a rental, they’d just need to go replace him with the assets they’d get for him. Just too many moving parts.

Because they’re in their window right now, any deal they make has to make them a better team, plus the money has to work. The chance that happens is very low.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ledge And Dairy

I don't think Nylander will get anywhere near $10M. He is dreaming in technicolour. Sooner or later he and his agent will wake up to the realities of life and sign for less. $9M tops, but $8.0-8.5M would be more realistic.

Whether that is in T.O. or elsewhere is the question.

I think Hanifin, Vladar would be a fair trade (although I'd be inclined to hold on to Vladar) for Nylander IF he indicated he would sign for the above $8.5M.
He will get 9M Meier and Aho made sure of that. He shouldn't get more than Barzal though, Matt Barzal's 9.15M is probably a pretty safe bet IMO

Reactions: Nanuuk

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If Nylander wants to sign 8.5x8 then I do this deal all day. If not then it makes zero sense for the Flames.
If that was so he'd already be signed by the Leafs. It seems like Nylander has self interest like Mathews and the hell with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad