NYI Top 20 Prospects

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
NYI Updated Top 20 Prospects

The Islanders have seen a ton of prospects graduate with Kaiden Guhle, William Eklund, Luke Hughes and Kent Johnson having NHL Experience under their belt. Even with those graduating the prospect pool is still flurishing.

1 – RW Ivan Demidov (New)
For the first time entering the draft I knew who I was selecting at my first pick. Demidov is an extremely creative winger, with good speed and smart instincts. No matter where he ends up we expect him to become a top line player and franchise winger.

2 – C/RW Brad Lambert (5)
The biggest risk I’ve taken was selecting Lambert 6th overall in 2022. After his last AHL season, it is starting to look like the gamble paid off. His game is better suited for north America, his speed and skill are evident. The hope is it translates to the NHL.

3 – G Jesper Wallstedt (New)
Acquired in a trade before the 2023 draft, Wallstedt is the best goalie in our system. A future starter with the potential to be a franchise goalie. Had a solid year in the AHL on a bad Iowa team. Will likely have another season in the AHL.

4 – D Dmitri Simashev (New)
Our first pick in last year’s draft. Simashev was a regular in the KHL last year. While he will never be a flashy scoring defenceman, his skating/defence combo is enough to project him as a top 4 defenceman who will kill many penalties.

5 – LW Quentin Musty (New)
Acquired during last season, Musty was a player I was targeting in the 2023 draft. His creativity and high-end skill was shown off in the OHL this year. Even after missing a few games Musty finished 4th in points and 1st in points per game. It is only a matter of time before he jumps into the Sharks top 6.

6 – RW Fabian Lysell (6)
Lysell had another solid season in the AHL at almost a point per game. While he has limitations getting to the middle of the ice, his skating and playmaking are NHL ready. It would be a shock if he doesn’t play some role for the Burins next season.

7 – RW Gavin Brindley (New)
After trading up for Brindley last year, we are pleased with his growth in the NCAA this season. Brindley showed that on top of his strong two-way game he has the skill to be a top-6 player. Whether he reaches his ceiling or not, Brindley will be a middle-six gadget for the Blue Jackets to use.

8 – RW Jackson Blake (11)
One of my favourite draft picks I have made. I was high on Blake during his draft year and it is nice to see him flourish. A Hobey Baker finalist in his last college season, Blake has proved he can be a top-6 player. Now after signing his ELC he will get a chance to crack the Canes roster that is going through some adjustments.

9 – D Ethan Del Mastro (8)
Definitely the least flashy player on this list so far. Del Mastro does everything right. He has improved every single season so far and looked comfortable in a top-4 role in the AHL last season. Whether it’s next season or the year after, Del Mastro will be an important piece for the Blackhawks blue line.

10 – C Fyodor Svechkov (New)
Acquired in my blockbuster Nylander deal, Svechkov is a player I’ve coveted since his draft year. He plays a really smart two-way centre game and should be a solid middle-six centre if he reaches his full potential.

11 – C/W Gracyn Sawchyn (New)
12 – W Dylan Duke (13)
13 – C Linus Eriksson (New)
14 – D Nikita Novikov (NR)
15 – C Luca Pinelli (New)
16 – RW Devin Kaplan (14)
17 – W Alexis Gendron (NR)
18 – W Martin Misak (New)
19 – D Vladimir Grudinin (17)
20 – G Maxim Mayorov (NR)

15 of the Top 20 were draft picks
5 were acquired through trade (4 of them in the top 10)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
A really strong group! I'd probably have Simashev second and Lambert further down, but that's all a matter of presentation. If Simashev brings some solid secondary offence, he'll be a sim monster.

Watched quite a lot of Blake this past season, as I have quite a lot of prospects in the NCHC, and he's legit. Not NHL ready but his ability to create for himself is impressive, and he's got a bit of Jack Quinn in him in terms of his ability to cut into the middle.

Reactions: Zack22

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
A really strong group! I'd probably have Simashev second and Lambert further down, but that's all a matter of presentation. If Simashev brings some solid secondary offence, he'll be a sim monster.

Watched quite a lot of Blake this past season, as I have quite a lot of prospects in the NCHC, and he's legit. Not NHL ready but his ability to create for himself is impressive, and he's got a bit of Jack Quinn in him in terms of his ability to cut into the middle.
I debated throwing Simashev at 2. I think Lambert still has a bit more upside, which is why I put him 2. Simashev should be a sim darling and I think the addition of Sergachev will help with mentorship and his transition to NA.

Blake is someone I truly think will surprise people in a few years that he fell to the 4th round. Very excited to follow his future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad