Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Islanders sign Ilya Sorokin to ELC (1 year, $925k) and 1 year extension ($2m AAV)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Honestly thought he would get more, some of these KHL stars like Gusev have been able to leverage better contracts.

It's a fair deal for both sides, seems like Lou and Sorokin want to start things out of the right foot. Sorokin gets a bump in salary from the KHL and is in line for a big pay day if he is the real deal.

It's a good day on Long Island today. Figures the real contract gets signed on a Tuesday, that's always been the day Lou likes to announce the big stuff.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This will be a goalie i'll be fascinated to watch.

He's 24, so sorta out of the prospect range. He's 6'2, so not a big goalie, but not small either. Has great KHL numbers, but he also played for CSKA, and over the last two years averaged 19 saves a game, and 1.3 goals against. Now, I don't know if there is a site anywhere that tracks KHL advanced stats, but it would be interesting to see how many high danger chances he generally faced a game, versus the amount of medium and low danger chances against.

The fact that Varlamov is there with him is pretty solid. Believe I've read before that they train together in the off-seasons.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This will be a goalie i'll be fascinated to watch.

He's 24, so sorta out of the prospect range. He's 6'2, so not a big goalie, but not small either. Has great KHL numbers, but he also played for CSKA, and over the last two years averaged 19 saves a game, and 1.3 goals against. Now, I don't know if there is a site anywhere that tracks KHL advanced stats, but it would be interesting to see how many high danger chances he generally faced a game, versus the amount of medium and low danger chances against.

The fact that Varlamov is there with him is pretty solid. Believe I've read before that they train together in the off-seasons.

Varlamov and Sorokin are fishing buddies at the least.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
no way he would have ever came over if it was still snow and flinstone capuano at the helm. a real front office and the best arena in hockey in the works will do the trick

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Congrats Isles fans. I am excited to him vs Shesterkin, I know they are good friends an amazing goalie prospects. Should be a battle everytime they play against each other.

On another note many of us in Canada used to comment on the lack of good Russian goalies and wonder what the problem was.
It is amazing the time we are in now with the best goalies in the league Vasilevsky and amazing young Russian goalies like Sorkin, Shesterkin and Samsonov.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Good move for Isles. They don't score much and the goalies they have been using are not legit. They have been covered up by a system for the most part. This was a move they needed to make. IMO, they need to dump Lou who lost it 15 years ago and the head coach. I see a coach who was the worst playoff coach in the history of the game with one of the games greatest players. He finally stepped in it one season and got past the second round to win a cup. He's basically ruining Barzal's offensive game. At some point, the Islanders need to go with a new GM and coach.

So much wrong here but I’ll just focus on the two funniest points.

1. Lou managed a team to a cup finals within the last 15 years, during the time he had supposedly “lost it”.

2. You realize getting past the 2nd round doesn’t get you a cup right?

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
The next generation of Metro goalies is gonna be a lot of fun to watch

Hart
Shesterkin
Sorokin
Blackwood
Samsonov

Until the HF narrative kicks in : You don't pay goalies more than 5M!!! Waste of cap space, trade him!

I guess me being an ex-goalie is the reason I don't get that argument. A true #1 is worth every penny

Reactions: Rebels57

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Isles vs. Rangers, Ilya vs. Igor. The media's going to love it, hope he does well on the Island, Varly's going to mentor him for a season and Greiss is free to sign as 1A/B in Edmonton. :naughty:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So much wrong here but I’ll just focus on the two funniest points.

1. Lou managed a team to a cup finals within the last 15 years, during the time he had supposedly “lost it”.

2. You realize getting past the 2nd round doesn’t get you a cup right?

I would not say hes lost it, but he was beyond horrific in NJ for the last 5-10 years he was there, and is a large reason why they are in the situation they are in with no end in sight.

I also dont really see how Islanders fans are all in on him, since he hasnt really made any groundbreaking roster moves yet to earn him this unlimited heap of praise he gets.

I guess it's just that he commands that level of respect and ANYBODY is better than Snow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
3 quotes from this morning's signung that I thought were worth mentioning.

“We certainly feel highly of him, but all those records go out the window when you come to the National Hockey League,” general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "There’s adjustments, there’s rink-size adjustments, there’s a lot of things. But he has the skills and the talent to have success."
“I’ve seen some of the highlight stuff,” Trotz said of Sorokin. “I'm really excited for us as an organization. That’s exciting. But we’re worried about the playoffs right now.”
“Me and Ilya have a great relationship,” Varlamov said. “It’s great for him to sign a deal and it’s great for organization in the long term.”

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article244215852.html#storylink=cpy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad