Proposal: NYI-ARZ-EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
To Islanders--Edmonton 1st 2022 and Koskinen

To Edmonton-- Varlamov

To Arizona--Islanders 1st 2022, Edmonton 1st 2022, Beauvillier, Bolduc

To Islanders---Chychrun

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
Not giving a first for a goalie having a worse season than Koskinen lol.
Varlamov started the season hurt while missing training camp. He took the Isles to the semi finals the last two years. He would be a perfect goalie to get Edmonton to the next level.

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
This is a bad take. Really bad take. Had AHL D in front of him, started the season hurt. He's a legit top goalie, but I'm not sure we can get a first for him (not sure why the OP even wants to move him, guess they are throwing in the towel).
Sorokin is hands down the new #1. Kostinen can be a serviceable backup. A top 4 D of Pelech, Pulock, Chychrun and Dobson would be one of the best in the league. No towel. Playoffs.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
sorry but i dont see oilers doing this unless isles are retaining( im not saying 50% but atleast 1m)because unless varlamov can prove it was shitty d at the beginning itll mean hes on the decline and oilers cant afford to screw with another goalie situation for another year. varlamov has an extra year on his contract and MAF has been linked to oilers sure hes getting paid 2m more but hes a fa as well so it would be perfect for the oilers to figure out if they wanted to go after someone else in fa or trade or even think skinner can be a 1b with smith.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
This is a bad take. Really bad take. Had AHL D in front of him, started the season hurt. He's a legit top goalie, but I'm not sure we can get a first for him (not sure why the OP even wants to move him, guess they are throwing in the towel).
It's not a bad take its adding another year of a more expensive goalie who has worse numbers and stops us from actually addressing this need during the off season again.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I’d pass as an Oilers fan. If we’re trading a 1st for a goalie, I would hope for someone better and with more term. Obviously, we’d add to the 1st. Ideally, I’d see if Fleury would come here for less than a 1st.

Reactions: Ragdoll and Gh0st

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Are we talking about Koskinen or Varlamov?

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
To Islanders--Edmonton 1st 2022 and Koskinen

To Edmonton-- Varlamov

To Arizona--Islanders 1st 2022, Edmonton 1st 2022, Beauvillier, Bolduc

To Islanders---Chychrun
Can’t see Edmonton doing the 1st trade and 33 year old Varly isn’t worth a 1st round pick.

Arizona might go for the 2nd trade if the Islanders pick was unprotected in 2022 but other then that Arizona might not go for it.

Bolduc stats show 17 games played in Bridgeport with 0 points and Sam Bolduc is one of the few players I don’t have an updated report on, maybe islander fans that know of Bolduc could elaborate a little on Bolduc’s game this season in the AHL and if he even projects to make an NHL club within the next 2-3 seasons.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Switch to Sorokin and we can talk a 1st otherwise....
That is a bit offside. So ronin is untouchable as it gets right now. We are looking at some options like Fleury, Varlamov, or Price , but they all have warts and they all will cost near a first to get. If you want Term Price at 50% is your guy. If it’s less term but less top end then Varlamov is your guy. Fleury is the oldest and most decorated of the group but is a UFA at end of year which is a plus. They will all cost at least our first to take Koskinen and get the player.

The other choice is keep what we got and hope like hell. I am still back and forth on this but this is where we were in 2006 as well.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
lol. If Edmonton, or any team for that matter is going to give up the coveted first round pick, it'll be for an actual goaltender that makes them better.
Varlamov has one win this season in 8 starts, with a 0.900 save %, 58th amongst active goalies this season. He's the same age as Koskinen (33), almost the same save percentage, but Mikko has 12 wins in 18 starts. This season, Mikko is pretty much a mirror Finnish version of Varlamov, and they're supposed to also give up a 1st rounder? All so the Islanders have maybe enough assets to land Chychrun (a deal Arizona probably says no to anyway).

This is a fantasy deal that's heavily tilted toward New York. Koskinen's contract ends this summer, freeing up much needed cap space for Edmonton. Varlamov still has another year left after this season, at 5M cap hit. Even disregarding the 1st round pick, and offering a simple 1 for 1 deal, Mikko for Varly, Edmonton declines.

imo, Islanders don't have the assets to land Chychrun. They'll need to give up two 1st round picks (Wright and Bedard draft next 2 summers, highly coveted picks given where the Islanders are in the standings), a high pedigree young dman (probably Dobson), and a young NHL ready prospect (eg. Wahlstrom). That's a realistic proposition for a top pairing cornerstone 23 yr old elite caliber defenseman. If I'm an Isles fan, there's no way I do that deal, way too risky and too many prime assets that could be the future core of the franchise. But that's the price, and the team that pays it, imo, is going to regret it

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
if he's even available I'd imagine Varlamov has shaken off the rust by the trade deadline and looks like a good option for some teams that can also use him for the entire 22-23 season as well as the playoff run of 22'

he has a 16 team no trade list

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
if he's even available I'd imagine Varlamov has shaken off the rust by the trade deadline and looks like a good option for some teams that can also use him for the entire 22-23 season as well as the playoff run of 22'

he has a 16 team no trade list

and my guess is the oilers are on that list
as for the trade---at 5 mill Varlamov maybe a little rich for the oilers blood. Oilers are hoping to spend less than the 4.5 they spend on Kosk due to other players needing new contracts.

Also, Skinner has his ups and down. With Smith coming back--oiler might just waive kosk and hope someone picks him(no one will) and send him to the farm

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It's not a bad take its adding another year of a more expensive goalie who has worse numbers and stops us from actually addressing this need during the off season again.
Worse numbers than what? Surely you aren't ignorant enough to base the quality of a goalie's ability on a half a dozen starts in an irregular season? Or maybe you are...

Reactions: iggy

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Am I reading this wrong?
Edmonton is giving up 2 2022 1st rounders for a goalie they don't have any don't need?
LMAO this is what happens when grandma spikes the egg nog.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Koskinen couldn’t stop a puck when the Islanders first had him. No interest in round 2 of that unless you’re planning on trading Sorokin for Nilsson and bring back Poulin as the 3rd goalie too.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This seems expensive as an Oilers fix for goalie. But the oilers do have an issue in net. The decent start their goalies got off to has been exposed as mirage as the sample size got bigger. They should offer Chicago that 2022 1st for MAF retained.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad