Proposal: NY Rangers - Chi Blackhawks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Really just goalie swaps. Georgiev is upset he’s not getting as many minutes before Shesterkin and his game has struggled. Played well last night, and he’s a young goalie that can certainly be a decent starting goalie that will gain more confidence the more he plays. And I think he fits Chicago being a rebuilding team.

The Rangers need a veteran goalie that we can trust if Shesterkin goes down again because his groin has issues and MAF can certainly carry the load if Igor suffers a longer term injury.

Chicago Blackhawks acquires: Alexander Georgiev, 2022 3rd Round Pick

New York Rangers acquires: Marc-Andre Fluery

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Why would NY want to do this? They have a pretty good goalie already.
He has a pretty bad rep in our locker room. Barley shook hands with Shesty after a win. And I’d feel comfortable with Fluery in case Shesterkin went down at any point of the season. Georgiev is solid but his time in NY is running to a halt. And he’d be much happier getting more time in net in Chicago

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Personally, I think something like this makes sense IF MAF prefers to get one more potential playoff run. Not many teams out there who would have the need of a goalie with that kind of cap hit so I can't imagine the price would be that high.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Really just goalie swaps. Georgiev is upset he’s not getting as many minutes before Shesterkin and his game has struggled. Played well last night, and he’s a young goalie that can certainly be a decent starting goalie that will gain more confidence the more he plays. And I think he fits Chicago being a rebuilding team.

The Rangers need a veteran goalie that we can trust if Shesterkin goes down again because his groin has issues and MAF can certainly carry the load if Igor suffers a longer term injury.

Chicago Blackhawks acquires: Alexander Georgiev, 2022 3rd Round Pick

New York Rangers acquires: Marc-Andre Fluery
I would think that if CHI was moving MAF, it'd be for more than a bad goalie and a 3rd

Reactions: Pertti

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I would think that if CHI was moving MAF, it'd be for more than a bad goalie and a 3rd

I mean he was just traded for Mikael Hakkarainen, it isn't going to cost that much. If he would prefer to be traded and make a run I am sure Chicago would basically take anything. Not many teams are going to pay a premium for a goalie with that cap hit unless someone has a major injury to their existing starter.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
No reason for NYR to add.
MAF a rental, Georgie younger, cheaper and with team control.

But no move is fine, too
Georgie has this opening to reestablish his game

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I mean he was just traded for Mikael Hakkarainen, it isn't going to cost that much. If he would prefer to be traded and make a run I am sure Chicago would basically take anything. Not many teams are going to pay a premium for a goalie with that cap hit unless someone has a major injury to their existing starter.
the return was low cause Vegas needed to clear cap. CHI doesn't have that problem

Reactions: Pertti

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
the return was low cause Vegas needed to clear cap. CHI doesn't have that problem

If there was a market for him the return would have been higher. Sure, Chicago doesn't have that problem, but it doesn't mean the demand for Fleury is significantly higher. There are still only so many teams that can fit that cap space for what would likely be a 1B/backup goalie (since most teams who are looking to buy already have a legit starter set.)

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
If there was a market for him the return would have been higher. Sure, Chicago doesn't have that problem, but it doesn't mean the demand for Fleury is significantly higher. There are still only so many teams that can fit that cap space for what would likely be a 1B/backup goalie (since most teams who are looking to buy already have a legit starter set.)
closer to the TDL, a COL or EDM might see value in MAF. CHI will either have to retain or take salary back (maybe both a bit) but if there's a sweetner attached, I don't see the issue

heck, the rangers might be asking about him around then as well

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
closer to the TDL, a COL or EDM might see value in MAF. CHI will either have to retain or take salary back (maybe both a bit) but if there's a sweetner attached, I don't see the issue

heck, the rangers might be asking about him around then as well

Sure. I agree, no reason for Chicago to make a move now with Fleury.

But if they are trading Fleury right now, at full cap hit (which is what the OPs proposal was for), I just don't see them getting anything higher than a 3rd and a replacement goalie.

Ultimately, even at the trade deadline with 50% retained I don't see them being able to get more than a 2nd + something small unless a team gets very desperate because of an injury. Limited by cap and limited by where Fleury might want to go.

Propjoe89

Jun 27, 2016
I understand the logic, but the Rangers aren’t giving up a potential #1 despite his struggles for a rental in MAF. Don’t see why the Rangers would need to add to the deal to get this done. Georgiev has been a victim of not getting in a rhythm. Unfortunately he’s not going to find that playing behind Igor. This only makes sense if the Rangers find out MAF would be keen on playing 25-30 games behind Igor and interested in resigning next season.

I do like the OPs logic if needed MAF could step in and play a large stretch and install confidence.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He was traded because of cap. Not a lot of teams could afford him at the beginning of the season. At deadline, its much different. He's a UFA. Teams would deal more than what Fleury originally went for.

Last edited:

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
It's been reported chicago is listening to offers with regards to MAF. Fleury controls his future still which means after his outburst when he was traded to chicago its highly unlikely he would want to move again unless it was a situation he felt he has the best chance of winning a cup .

Let's look at the teams
Edmonton
Colorado
St Louis
Toronto
Tampa
Vegas
Florida

That's your list of teams who imo are all deep in depth and anyone of them has the potential to win it all.

Now what is each teams cap space and willing to part with enough pieces to make this work even if Chicago went max 50% retention.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
He was traded because of cap. Not a lot of teams could afford him at the beginning of the season. At deadline, its much different. He's a UFA. Teams would deal more than what Fleury originally went for.

That's true partially, he still has a mntc and I'm sure chicago doesn't want any negative pr or a player saying I'm not going . So fleury would have to be completely open and agreeing to this prior to any deal.
That limits chicago options of trade partners alone

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
both sides say no

hawks can get better return IF someone needs a starter due to injury
MAF is also hot and cold.
But he is playoff experienced.

Rangers would prefer a pick, and promote Huska for this season [wanna see what he's got].

Also, NYR do not have 3rd this yr

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006

And Georgiev and a 3rd IS more than Fleury went for. At full cap hit I don't think he gets that much more than that, even at the deadline. Maybe a little more, like the 3rd becomes a 2nd. At 50%, which Chicago would likely do, yes he would be worth a little bit more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad