Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
KK though is wading through strange waters in using neither of Stecher or Carrick last night. Carrick being a Center, Makes more sense to play him and especially if we need to match a bit of physicality. Playing Connor Brown? Is that again just heeding McD? The one that wanted Connor Brown here. Its odd. Like thats the last player I would draw in against a speedy nucks club. Yeah, did it for the pk, but the pk has been BETTER, i'e. perfect, without Connor Brown.

With Henrique out injured I'm not sure of the optics of dressing none of the players that your GM got you at TDL.

Getting tired of these X player, Ceci, Brown etc is just in the lineup because the players themselves want them there. Not a great team concept when adequate guys are available, and hungrier to prove their worth.
I was thinking it was for that reason too, but if so, it’s strange that Knob decided to put Brown in the box for the Skinner penalty. Being trusted on the kill all year was basically the only reason he wasn’t PB’d a majority of the season. I’d rather have Carrick in if Brown isn’t going to be used for one of his “specialities” consistently.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I was thinking it was for that reason too, but if so, it’s strange that Knob decided to put Brown in the box for the Skinner penalty. Being trusted on the kill all year was basically the only reason he wasn’t PB’d a majority of the season. I’d rather have Carrick in if Brown isn’t going to be used for one of his “specialities” consistently.
Knob made some odd decisions last game

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Don't they have to put someone who was on the ice in the box though? Weren't his linemates Ryan and Foegele?

Reactions: TB12

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What a horrendous contract. I think this board was 95% against it. Our shitty media all thought it was a great deal

Hey we had to do it! Seth Jones set the bar for overrated D contracts!

Kudos again to Holland for giving Chicago everything they wanted and needed to free space and get Jones' bro to get him to sign that deal right before we started negotiating with Nurse. Ken is always playing the 4D chess ... against himself.

Reactions: foshizzle

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I’m only panicking if McDavid and Drai are both hurt.

It’s one game. Boston smoked Florida game 1 and then got smoked game 2.

If we lose both away games that sucks, if we lose game 3 then I’m panicking. Let’s see how they respond tomorrow.
Well Drai is for sure hurt. Did you see how crappy he looked in the 3rd? If it was not bad they wouldn't lie about it. You don't miss practice from equipment issues....

Also Mcdavid isn't shooting. You can't win in this league with two superstars unless your stars bring an A level game.

Mcdavid and Drai 5 on 5 aren't good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trow

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

And that's why I never feel good about this team

Meh. The main thing is how many are in the McDrai era? Probably half of them I'm guessing, which is brutal, yes

If they struggle like this against arguably the worst team left in the playoffs (still a good team, but no Avs, Stars, Rangers, Canes, Bruins or Panthers), then they won't win it all anyhow

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
You'll notice though every defenseman that plays with Ceci turns the puck over a lot.

Why?

Ceci is usually doing his best Taylor Hall blow the zone impression instead of providing a safe outlet. Teams know this and key on it. Just watch.
I'll stand by the fact that Nurse is the problem for that pair.

How can you blame his turnover on Ceci? It was on Nurse's stick and he gave it to the Canucks instead of clearing it out of the zone. That 3rd goal against was on Nurse

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Have they given any explanation to this sit back and defend the lead approach? Yes, a team is going to not take risks, but they are way too passive. Best way to keep a lead is to play in the other teams zone, which they had little interest in last night.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Have they given any explanation to this sit back and defend the lead approach? Yes, a team is going to not take risks, but they are way too passive. Best way to keep a lead is to play in the other teams zone, which they had little interest in last night.
A rattled goalie in Vancouver’s net and they play the most limpdick hockey I’ve ever seen.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Would love to see how well Tanev and Walker would do paired with Nurse.
Ceci isnt the problem.

Nurse was (once again) in no mans land watching the puck go directly to an uncovered player right beside the net.
Inexcusable.
WTF was he thinking?
He never has his head on a swivel, it’s full on blinders. He would rather make a feeble attempt at blocking a pass or shot than doing his job. Take a knee Darnell.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
See I don't even know if that was even their plan. I saw no sembiance of a 1 3 1 or other neutral zone trap type system.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey

We simply got cocky and felt we could take it easy and win. This team will never learn.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
His team has gone from offensive juggernaut to a version of the LA kings. What happened to the non-stop pressure like they applied during that Calgary series? It’s like they way over-corrected.

I still think Woodcroft got fired for Holland’s incompetence. They needed a top 4 dman, not Brown. A top 4 d man and not changing their entire defensive structure

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Watching other teams play tonight and everyone on the ice wants to be the first to the puck. This is something the Oilers do once in awhile but every game you wonder what team will show up... This is the second year in a row the Oilers have landed in great position to go for it... If they come out flat tomorrow after their "rust" game I'm thinking they don't even want to be there.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Is there a site that will provide team records by officiating crew? Asking for a friend.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Driving in the morning listening to 1440. Spector and bunch of guys all whining about fans and mocking fans for blaming Nurse and Ceci for anything. One guy says he refuses to go to games because fans are meanies.

Driving and listening to Lowtide around lunch. All about how bad Nurse and Ceci have been with loads of stats to back it up, lol. Thanks Lowetide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad