Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah oddly that just reinforces my comment. Zero winger depth and constantly need to pair up 2 guys who should drive their own lines.
I thought your point was he’s going to leave due to quality of line mates. McD
Goal #3 definitely was a brain dead play by Nurse, but I don't think I've ever seen an NHL goalie play a pass down low like that. Skinner gave him a foot beside the post and then looked surprised when the puck went in.
Nurse deserve prime blame for goal 2 too

Reactions: guymez

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It was a late read, a poor push and an awful reaction by Skinner.

You can try as hard as you want to blame Nurse, but if a goalie gives a goal from a guy who is literally behind the goal line and it was into a wide open net because the goalie doesn't even come close to sealing the post, it's blatantly obvious that it's the goalie's fault.

That's Hockey 101 type stuff.
It's on both, there's a reason why Skinner's save pct. plummets with Nurse on the ice and it's an ongoing issue with Darnell consistently making life hard on his own goalie. Skinner needs to make that save but, once again, Nurse's head was in LaLa Land positionally out of place.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's on both, there's a reason why Skinner's save pct. plummets with Nurse on the ice and it's an ongoing issue with Darnell consistently making life hard on his own goalie. Skinner needs to make that save but, once again, Nurse's head was in LaLa Land positionally out of place.
Nurse has the 2nd best onSV% on the D core so far in the playoffs.

Reactions: iCanada

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The one that Skinner corralled into his own net with his stick? We are now blaming the defenders for any puck that merely enters the crease?
The one where Nurse boots skinners stick which boots the puck into the net, watch the nhl tnt highlights. Overhead view.

Nurse had a horrific game. One of the worst playoff performances we’ve seen.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
why do you feel the need to come in with data and facts? nurse is trash no matter what he does and ceci either makes it worse or causes it (there doesnt seem to be consensus)

Reactions: iCanada

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Canuck trolls have been calling ched all morning trolling. "what do you think of racist Paul coffey?"

I reiterate worst fan base in the league.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

He's only played 1 game against opposition that wants to, and can score.

Not surprisingly Nurse/Ceci sporting a 36% xGF these playoffs. I wouldn't take the LA series as any indication of how well our team is built for a cup run. This is the first actual test for this group and last night was a massive fail for Nurse/Ceci. Stuck in their end all night, couldn't stop cycles, couldn't stop entries. Just chase the play and pray with a little dash of stick waving.

There are no upsets either like we saw in 2006. The road to a cup is as hard as the NHL can offer this season from rounds 2-4.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
If you look at the 5on5 save%

We only have 10 players who are above .890. Nurse being one of them.

When RNH is on the ice Skinner only has a save% of .843, he at least makes up for it with an incredibly high shooting % from his teammates. Foegele .800!

RNH gets a free pass way too much on here, I really don't understand why.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Suspect what happened idiot fan (who apparently happened to wear a turban) hitting glass crossing line. Coffey asks for him to be thrown out.

"who is it" points at guy says something like "he's crazy" points at his head.

"omg he said I'm crazy cuz I wear a turban!"

If Coffey did some ignorant shit, that's no good and he deserves the book thrown at him.

But I find the fact that the alleged incident happened in the middle of 20,000 cameras publically and that there isn't any video of what actually happened like 12 hrs later to be a pretty likely indicator that nothing happened. But we'll see if anything turns up I guess. 😂

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
If Coffey did some ignorant shit, that's no good and he deserves the book thrown at him.

But I find the fact that the alleged incident happened in the middle of 20,000 cameras publically and that there isn't any video of what actually happened like 12 hrs later to be a pretty likely indicator that nothing happened. But we'll see if anything turns up I guess. 😂
It's confirmed a fan was thrown out. I remember some degenerate flames fan was sitting behind oilers bench in 2022 and threw money at Kane. Was kicked out as well.

Very hard to sympathize with anyone that your own team's security has to kick out.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Hope there is nothing to it. Coffey got a 3 game suspension in midget AAA for slurs when he was coaching there. Not the type of distraction the team needs now.

Wouldn't doubt the Canucks org is scanning tape looking for it now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I misspoke on the save pct. because it always seems like he's on the ice when the opposition scores but the reason for what you state is because his pairing gets shelled regularly so more saves would be made AND more goals given up. Nurse is -5 in the last 2 games -4 for the playoffs, his pairing consistently gets hemmed in, he was -6 in the Vegas series, -6 in the Colorado series etc.
One can say that +/- is a flawed stat but when you see an ongoing pattern over years and an eye test that matches the poor on ice play, it's kind of hard to ignore the problem at hand.

I'm not absolving Skinner of blame either, that was just an awful awful performance by him last night, there's no excusing it but, again, it's always the Nurse-Ceci pairing falling into the - column playoff year after playoff year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A fan was banging on glass behind Oilers bench. In process of Coffey pointing him out to security, it is alleged that Coffey made some sort of racist gesture.

I kind of doubt it though. Like I said, happened in the middle of 20000 cameras.
What possible racist 'gesture' could he have made?

Reactions: oobga

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A fan was banging on glass behind Oilers bench. In process of Coffey pointing him out to security, it is alleged that Coffey made some sort of racist gesture.

I kind of doubt it though. Like I said, happened in the middle of 20000 cameras.
I can’t even think of what a racist gesture would be? Did he do a Nazi salute? Otherwise I’m drawing a blank what it could have even been.

Reactions: oobga

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Canuck trolls have been calling ched all morning trolling. "what do you think of racist Paul coffey?"

I reiterate worst fan base in the league.
Not sure why you posted the gossip and innuendo here. You've helped to perpetuate this junk and Kane goofiness. Take two minutes to examine where crap is coming from instead of blindly posting it as you did earlier in this thread.

Reactions: TB12 and K1984

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
What possible racist 'gesture' could he have made?

I'm not quite sure. Outside of obvious pantomiming that I bet Sportsnet would have caught, I'm not sure I've ever really seen any racist hand gestures towards a turban.

As someone who grew up in Mill woods and has a large amount of Sikh friends, and been privy to them receiving a lot of racism over my life, I'd have thought I'd have seen it all... But maybe not and maybe I'm just ignorant. Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad