Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Sure, but you know Ceci is a direct cause for this issue, so he should really hit the pressbox. Skinner can bounce back, Ceci needs to be bounced.
Ceci is like Knob's son. The refusal to sit him, even when injured, is absolutely mindboggling

Three straight playoffs of this pairing getting roasted and we still go back to it. 4 GA last night. FOUR.
Is getting destroyed by Vegas and Colorado the last 2 years 15-3 bad?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just said he had a bad game. And I said he had a bad game in the LA series too.

On goaltending we will never agree. Cause you think nearly every single goal he lets in is a bad goal. Like perfect cross crease one timers into empty nets you’re blaming on Skinner, whereas not a coach or pro goalie in the world would blame themselves for. I do blame Skinner when he deserves it and usually it’s in line with what a coach or Skinner himself would say and admit to wanting back. Like Goal 5 tonight where he specifically blamed himself for. And yet on other nights around here you blame skinner for not blaming himself ever, which only looks that way to you because to you he’s at fault for every goal against .

Like losses are death by a thousand cuts. Goals against are too. There’s usually more than one mistake on a play, it’s not always only the goalies fault. I like to analyze our teams defence as well as goaltending, so to you that may seem like I’m blaming everyone but him, but to me that’s just me trying to figure out what the hell went wrong on a play.
The thousand paper cuts, a lot of them are the weakness in Skinners game.

You absolved him on first goal against, you said Skinner was expecting a shot on net and respecting it would be. That was a set play that the Nucks execute. They pull it out fairly often. The miss was intentional and the shot missed by more than two feet and was taken from right of the net so obviously its going to either come back off boards and hit back of net or come out the other side. Skinner oblivious to it. No goalie in the league should fail to detect that shot was going wide. He saw the shot. His thought process got scrambled.

2nd goal you now blame on Nurse. Despite Skinners stick being in the wrong position and not tight in the whole time. The puck deflected in off skinners STick which was in the wrong position.

Now both of these goals against were poor and were very important in where the game was headed. The first was early in 2nd period and allowed Nucks to get back in game. It was a big mental break for them. The 2nd goal came very late in 2nd period and served the same result, getting Nucks back in it, and Skinner putting the puck in his own net.

We already agree I think on the latter goals being questionable.

Since last nights discussion its been detailed that the Nucks had one HDSC in third period and scored 3 goals. Thats a problem. Our goaltending is a problem. Yes I'm frustrated as anyone that Nurse has the puck on his stick and doesn't get an out but its not like he threw the puck in the slot. It was an up boards play that gets blocked several times a game. While that maintains ozone pressure it doesn't absolve Skinner giving up yet another weak goal.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sure, but like he has though, we've actually seen it. Cody Ceci has just been a f***ing disaster, despite how many like to defend him for "how hard it is to be" whatever made up thing you think he is.

Ceci should not see the ice again, unless like 3 or 4 guys go down.

I'm not defending Ceci, fire him into space along with Nurse for all I care. But ultimately those are three GA Skinner has to stop.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The Nurse Ceci pairing is custom made for the Canucks. That's why we kept them together for so long. For this f***ing hockey series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Lots of this market was like I dOnT knOw iF yoU cAn UpGraDE CeCI

Like yes you can upgrade Ceci wtf are you talking about he f***in sucks. How hard is it to find a guy that doesn’t f***in suck.

Watched Joel Edmundson for the Leaf’s in the playoffs. He’s f***in better than Ceci. He was acquired at an 825K cap hit (!) for only a 3rd and a 5th.

Reactions: McAsuno and iCanada

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yup. I hope the guy who hired Holland is gone with him. Chiarelli could at least draft worth a damn too. The Nurse and Campbell contracts have done such huge damage to this franchise.
Ive said it since the day he was hired- he is the worst thing to happen to the oilers and McDavid. The guy who hired him, Burger Bob, was pushed hard to Katz by Kevin Lowe.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So give up is the plan then?

Also, despite things being over, it is a series. So they'll still have to win 3 more games.

No, giving up isn't the solution, but at some point it has to be acknowledged by the team that he's not part of the solution. The track is too long now that the only way to clear his name is playing pretty much perfect from here on out at least for this round.

Here's the deal, Edmonton has not lost a single playoff game since last years first round where they had goaltending of at least .850 by their starter and somehow are only 6-6 in that stretch. They've also had the lead in 5 of those 6 games and in the other had tied it up twice to push for OT and he couldn't hold the fort.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Draisaitl is injured but feels like he could still play then I'd just put him on Mcdavid's wing until he's healthy enough to center his own line.

I'd also put Carrick back in for Ryan and sit Perry. I'd be tempted to put in Stecher for Ceci as well but I doubt the Oilers trust Stecher on the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Balakay14

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ceci is like Knob's son. The refusal to sit him, even when injured, is absolutely mindboggling

Is getting destroyed by Vegas and Colorado the last 2 years 15-3 bad?
I dunno, but now we're up to... 19-4 I think. Nurse's playoff stats are laughably bad.

1715272574431.png

Ceci's are even more horrific

1715272601299.png

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No, giving up isn't the solution, but at some point it has to be acknowledged by the team that he's not part of the solution. The track is too long now that the only way to clear his name is playing pretty much perfect from here on out at least for this round.

Here's the deal, Edmonton has not lost a single playoff game since last years first round where they had goaltending of at least .850 by their starter and somehow are only 6-6 in that stretch. They've also had the lead in 5 of those 6 games and in the other had tied it up twice to push for OT and he couldn't hold the fort.
Fair, so then the team's only option is to give up. Campbell isn't playing and never should and unless you think Pickard can do it, it's over, everything is done.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Yeah at a certain point you need a f***ing save.

Or atleast not to score on yourself.

This after the team rallied to cover a goaltender taking a needless penalty and took a 3 goal lead... But he scores on himself twice?!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The thousand paper cuts, a lot of them are the weakness in Skinners game.

You absolved him on first goal against, you said Skinner was expecting a shot on net and respecting it would be. That was a set play that the Nucks execute. They pull it out fairly often. The miss was intentional and the shot missed by more than two feet and was taken from left of the net so obviously its going to either come back off boards and hit back of net or come out the other side. Skinner oblivious to it. No goalie in the league should fail to detect that shot was going wide. He saw the shot. His thought process got scrambled.

2nd goal you now blame on Nurse. Despite Skinners stick being in the wrong position and not tight in the whole time. The puck deflected in off skinners STick which was in the wrong position.

Now both of these goals against were poor and were very important in where the game was headed. The first was early in 2nd period and allowed Nucks to get back in game. It was a big mental break for them. The 2nd goal came very late in 2nd period and served the same result, getting Nucks back in it, and Skinner putting the puck in his own net.

We already agree I think on the latter goals being questionable.

Since last nights discussion its been detailed that the Nucks had one HDSC in third period and scored 3 goals. Thats a problem. Our goaltending is a problem. Yes I'm frustrated as anyone that Nurse has the puck on his stick and doesn't get an out but it’s not like he threw the puck in the slot. It was an up boards play that gets blocked several times a game. While that maintains ozone pressure it doesn't absolve Skinner giving up yet another weak goal.
1st goal a literal perfect play pulled off by the Nucks. Yeh I’m not blaming skinner for that bang bang play going to a wide open Joshua.

2nd goal Nurse booted the Skinners stick to deflect the puck in. Watch the replay again. If Nurse doesn’t boot the stick that goal doesn’t happen. Period. Besides the 2 breakdowns that happened prior to that chance in the first place.

Reactions: guymez

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Two things can be true ceci is a problem… but the oilers never gave the nucks much that goaltending was awful and he cannot let those in
Skinner was not good enough, I haven't argued against this, but Nurse and Ceci were f***ing horrendous, and most if was on the GIANT weak link that is Cody Ceci.

If they aren't going to put him in the pressbox, the rest is window dressing.

Reactions: TheNumber4

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the 3 worst players last night were in order:

1. Skinner

2. Nurse
3. Ceci

goals #2 and #5 were absolute softies and momentum sappers at the worst time

goal #1 was on Ceci but Cucks got a good bounce off the board
goal #3 was on a typical brain-dead Nurse play where he had the puck on his stick and can't make a simple play out of the zone
goal #4 was on the forwards screening Skinner (although, maybe come out more to try and look bigger)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hah, I knew you'd bring DeSmith. He's about as good as Pickard, just another AHL quality goalie.

So nothing to really worry about until Demko's back. And even then he isn't going to be 100%.
Desmith played well and beat us twice.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
That was one of the lowest IQ plays I may have ever seen by a defenseman. There is simply zero reason to not clear the zone on that play.
Mentioned this in the GDT that the Oilers had lost all semblance of a centre ice breakout and were making soft plays along the wall. I actually got some pushback from a poster about this saying the wall "eats clock"

Horseshit. Make the play that is available. If the wall is sealed, go up the middle. They did that all season when they were successful. Coffee wants his D-men to make plays. Well, if the wall is sealed, make a f***ing play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad