Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Henrique will obviously draw in next game barring he's good to go. I think Carrick could likely be in as well for the faceoffs since the team aside from McLeod pretty much stunk at the dot last night. I'd rather play Stecher but this team rather plays our two defensive juggerNOTS in Nurse/Ceci lmao. But yeah, I agree brother. I didn't like the fact that Holland didn't pull the trigger on a legit top 6 scoring winger or a top four d man, and as it shows, it hurt the f***ing team. Why? Because we placed Janmark on L1 and Nurse/Ceci being their absolute typical self causing major GA's. Same old shit.
Henrique hasn't been a difference maker either. Other than Ekholm every Holland deadline acquisition has been a massive dud. He must've been possessed or MIA last year.

Also our two "major" in-season acquisitions in Kane and Perry have also been terrible. Ekholm/Hyman must've been acquired by an AU Holland where he's not a braindead idiot.

No one is saying "consistently" steal games. Skinner has never stolen a playoff game. Ever he's been tidy a few times.

When your team gets 4 on a echl goalie you cannot be the worse guy end of the night.

Where is his mental poise when it's 4-3? Of course the team is playing scared knowing he's reverted to his beach ball ways. What happens 2 more goals in a minute and game over.

Skinner Stans make no sense. You think anyone is Boston cares sway man let in 4? Of course not he doesn't do this every second game.
But the key to winning is to outplay your opponent. Sitting back for two periods wasn't going to end well no matter who was in net. That game was as predictable as the sun coming up. As soon as it became 4-3 the entire team went into sheer panic mode and when the Canucks tied the game everyone and their mother knew the Oilers would lose. There was zero killer instinct against a team that was reeling and a goalie that clearly wasn't confident. Instead of testing him more they went 22 minutes without a shot on net. If the Oilers had outplayed the Canucks and lost then I'd see the argument but the team got exactly what they deserved last night. What was the game plan? Play the worst pairing on the team every other shift and hope they don't shit the bed?

Again, against a better team the Oilers would've been creamed. A true SC contender identifies a weakness and attacks it. I'd love to get into the team's head after they went ahead 4-1. "Let's just take a vacation, we got this wrapped up."

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Y'know as bad as Nurse and Ceci were (and they were bad) they still win that game handily if Skinner could stop a beachball off the rush.
Sure, but you know Ceci is a direct cause for this issue, so he should really hit the pressbox. Skinner can bounce back, Ceci needs to be bounced.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Henrique hasn't been a difference maker either. Other than Ekholm every Holland deadline acquisition has been a massive dud. He must've been possessed or MIA last year.

Also our two "major" in-season acquisitions in Kane and Perry have also been terrible. Ekholm/Hyman must've been acquired by an AU Holland where he's not a braindead idiot.

But the key to winning is to outplay your opponent. Sitting back for two periods wasn't going to end well no matter who was in net. That game was as predictable as the sun coming up. As soon as it became 4-3 the entire team went into sheer panic mode and when the Canucks tied the game everyone and their mother knew the Oilers would lose. There was zero killer instinct against a team that was reeling and a goalie that clearly wasn't confident. Instead of testing him more they went 22 minutes without a shot on net. If the Oilers had outplayed the Canucks and lost then I'd see the argument but the team got exactly what they deserved last night. What was the game plan? Play the worst pairing on the team every other shift and hope they don't shit the bed?

Again, against a better team the Oilers would've been creamed. A true SC contender identifies a weakness and attacks it. I'd love to get into the team's head after they went ahead 4-1. "Let's just take a vacation, we got this wrapped up."

We needed a top four d man, a #1 true goalie, and a top 6 scoring winger when Ken Holland first arrived here and to this year we STILL need those. He's the biggest f***ing fraud I've ever seen as a GM. I'm personally glad the asshole's gone after this season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We needed a top four d man, a #1 true goalie, and a top 6 scoring winger when Ken Holland first arrived here and to this year we STILL need those. He's the biggest f***ing fraud I've ever seen as a GM. I'm personally glad the asshole's gone after this season.
Yup. I hope the guy who hired Holland is gone with him. Chiarelli could at least draft worth a damn too. The Nurse and Campbell contracts have done such huge damage to this franchise.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Darnell Nurse, Ceci and Skinner are the only reason I was worried about the full- week off... They've proven time and time again to forget how to play and lose intensity anytime they've had any time off. Perry has been ineffective the entire playoffs which has been disappointing to say the least. Honestly very few looked "good" outside of early game and special teams.

The thing about Nurse that is so hard to stomach is we've seen how he can play... He can be so much better. Ceci is as Ceci does...

Ekholm is my favorite player on this entire roster.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yup. I hope the guy who hired Holland is gone with him. Chiarelli could at least draft worth a damn too. The Nurse and Campbell contracts have done such huge damage to this franchise.

To think he had 20-25 M to use and he blew a huge chunk of it on Nurse and Soup. Then of course his shithole buddy from the wings that he made head scout in Tyler Wright couldn't draft to save his life. Imagine how different this team would've looked if they drafted players like Matt Boldy instead of Broberg, or Johnston/Wallstedt instead of Bourgault. Holland and Wright both sewaged this team in development and drafting. It's astounding how incompetent they are.
Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com
Great f***ing drafting, Holland and Wright!

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
ceci taking a lot of heat after sniping a goal..........

hes a bum

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

Yeah I don't know who is denying the team sucked and yes they didn't get a shot 20 minutes.

No one here is worried there will be a repest with no shot for 20 minutes. Everyone expect for skinner loyalists is highly concerned if it will be another Stu 5 goal masterclass.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To think he had 20-25 M to use and he blew a huge chunk of it on Nurse and Soup. Then of course his shithole buddy from the wings that he made head scout in Tyler Wright couldn't draft to save his life. Imagine how different this team would've looked if they drafted players like Matt Boldy instead of Broberg, or Johnston/Wallstedt instead of Bourgault. Holland and Wright both sewaged this team in development and drafting. It's astounding how incompetent they are.
Edmonton Oilers Draft History at hockeydb.com
Great f***ing drafting, Holland and Wright!
The sad thing is the Oilers have already basically acquired some of the hardest things to find in a draft and just needed Holland to have average drafting and he couldn't even manage that. The best teams in the league are the ones that draft well. They also don't hand Nurse a monster contract after an obvious career year. Hyman/Ekholm feel more like outliers after some horrendous decision making. And to think we were all in love with this guy after he dumped Lucic.

Yeah I don't know who is denying the team sucked and yes they didn't get a shot 20 minutes.

No one here is worried there will be a repest with no shot for 20 minutes. Everyone expect for skinner loyalists is highly concerned if it will be another Stu 5 goal masterclass.
The Canucks can score. I don't think anyone would say Skinner played well but other than Ekholm did anyone play well? The Oilers waited for the Canucks to take the game from them and there was no adjustment whatsoever.

Oh and because it really cannot be said enough: Nurse/Ceci is a dumpster fire of a pairing and if Knoblauch goes back to it he can take the f*** off.

Reactions: McAsuno

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

This just sums up the mentality of the entire Oilers organization.

Rather than do the work to upgrade an obvious area of liability, we just shrug our shoulders and say "nah, that guy probably isn't much better anyways" and call it a day. The media then does their job carrying the mail for the status quo.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So after assessing the Knights series the Oilers wanted to replace Ceci with Gudas. Couldn’t get it done. Ran it back with Ceci only to see that surprise surprise he still sucks. Then ran it back again. Holland had all the signs in the world what to do at the deadline. Including Justin Mahe trying to inform him we were 28th in finishing. And what does Holland do? Say we need a RH center to win faceoffs…. And targets that. The RH Center Carrick who’s not even in the line up.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In case it hasn't been explicitly spelled out yet.

Stuart Skinner career playoffs:

vs LA - 7-3, 3.03 GAA, .899 Pct
vs. anyone else - 2-5, 4.18 GAA, .864 Pct

His only two wins against anyone but LA, Edmonton gained a 4-0 lead early to let him cruise. Every loss, the team had a lead at some point but he allowed 4 or 5 and was sub. 850. Impossible to win with that.

Skinner vs. anyone but LA is the polar opposite of Grant Fuhr who was known to sometimes give up stinky ones early but would slam the door later in games if the team needed it to preserve. Skinner, just gives the lead up. Often by allowing 2 or 3 goals in a very short time span.

Y'know as bad as Nurse and Ceci were (and they were bad) they still win that game handily if Skinner could stop a beachball off the rush.

And not allow two goals to players whose feet are below goal line.

Reactions: Little Fury

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What is torture?

Any act or omission by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person or being a fan of the Edmonton Oilers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
In case it hasn't been explicitly spelled out yet.

Stuart Skinner career playoffs:

vs LA - 7-3, 3.03 GAA, .899 Pct
vs. anyone else - 2-5, 4.18 GAA, .864 Pct

His only two wins against anyone but LA, Edmonton gained a 4-0 lead early to let him cruise. Every loss, the team had a lead at some point but he allowed 4 or 5 and was sub. 850. Impossible to win with that.

Skinner vs. anyone but LA is the polar opposite of Grant Fuhr who was known to sometimes give up stinky ones early but would slam the door later in games if the team needed it to preserve. Skinner, just gives the lead up. Often by allowing 2 or 3 goals in a very short time span.

And not allow two goals to players whose feet are below goal line.
So give up is the plan then?

Also, despite things being over, it is a series. So they'll still have to win 3 more games.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sure, but you know Ceci is a direct cause for this issue, so he should really hit the pressbox. Skinner can bounce back, Ceci needs to be bounced.
I doubt it. He's stolen one game in the playoffs in the last two years, otherwise he's incredibly mediocre and needs a ton of support.

Reactions: Kerberos

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I doubt it. He's stolen one game in the playoffs in the last two years, otherwise he's incredibly mediocre and needs a ton of support.
Sure, but like he has though, we've actually seen it. Cody Ceci has just been a f***ing disaster, despite how many like to defend him for "how hard it is to be" whatever made up thing you think he is.

Ceci should not see the ice again, unless like 3 or 4 guys go down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad