Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
This one reminded me a little bit of game 1 SCF 06 where they were just cruising with a 3 goal lead then a comedy of errors left us all in disbelief.

I really think we see them play a great game on Friday, the D needs some work for sure and now they know what needs to be fixed. I honestly see them winning the next 3, losing one and wrapping it up on home ice in 6.
If we know something about this team, it is they can be about as bipolar as its fans.

I remember thinking after game 1 against LA that things almost looked too good. That game was a fountain of adrenaline and I just felt like they were gonna come out much flatter and sloppier in game 2, and they did.

Hopefully this game will have a similar effect for the Canucks. Not that the two games were similar at all, but the emotional and physical high for a team can be pretty draining.

He did one game the last series, that filled his quota for 2024.
And 2025.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I still think we win in 6 despite a meltdown for the ages.

Skinner had a rough series start vs LA. Nurse and Ceci will step it up and McDavid will go nuclear at some point. KK also has shown he rebounds nicely in games coached.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Desmith will probably play next game and he is better than Silovs.

He is more overpaid than Campbell.

Hah, I knew you'd bring DeSmith. He's about as good as Pickard, just another AHL quality goalie.

So nothing to really worry about until Demko's back. And even then he isn't going to be 100%.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
When will Stewart Skinner win a game on his own?

2 of the last 3 goals where on him regardless of how the team is playing. Tired of the lessons learned stick.
One thing a lot of good teams has is a goalie that can steal a game. Oilers haven't had that since probably salo

Reactions: Echodek

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
The turning point for me was when the refs didn't call a penalty on Vancouver for gloving the puck and throwing it up the ice. They call that penalty and the Oilers get a PP and Van doesn't score their 3rd goal.
I just do not understand how something like this can get a pass from the refs. Like seriously?

Not to take away from the poor performance as a whole, but Kozari and Co. really dictated and controlled the flow of this game. This is not what playoff hockey should be about.

Reactions: oilers4life5

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Watching the highlights again and Ceci hurts my brain.

First goal they lose the draw and he just stands on the left boards for like 15 seconds lol and of course his man scores beside the net.

Second goal is even worse. Giveaway up the boards, glides into the other corner, late to the board battle, chases Nurse's man around the net, runs into the net lol, doesn't tie up a stick, goal.

It still blows me away that they thought they could go into the playoffs with him on the roster.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
This team has enough depth to win a cup right now.

Oilers collapse is the headline, not oilers lacked depth needed to score 6th goal.
Exactly. They were able to score 4 goals, take a healthy lead.
The collapse came from sitting back and showing no drive, especially in the 3rd.
Bring a complete game on Friday and the script changes.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
One thing a lot of good teams has is a goalie that can steal a game. Oilers haven't had that since probably salo
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago too.

I think Roli definitely was one, at least obviously for the '06 run, but the last time we had a good goalie for a extended period of time was Salo.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Watching the highlights again and Ceci hurts my brain.

First goal they lose the draw and he just stands on the left boards for like 15 seconds lol and of course his man scores beside the net.

Second goal is even worse. Giveaway up the boards, glides into the other corner, late to the board battle, chases Nurse's man around the net, runs into the net lol, doesn't tie up a stick, goal.

It still blows me away that they thought they could go into the playoffs with him on the roster.
The fact that we're still using Nurse/Ceci as a pairing despite being shown not once but twice that it doesn't work warrants some serious questions. Bouchard/Ekholm was great, Kulak/VD was passable, and Nurse/Ceci was horrific.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I don't know whats with McDavid either, but he's just a shell of himself on some nights.
One thing is for certain, Skinner isn't reliable enough to get to the Cup. Ken needed that upgrade and didn't get. Like what does he need to get going for real here? More rest than the ~10 days between games?
Honestly. Like what does he need to get going for real? Another 10 days of rest? Wake the f*** up, Connor.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The fact that we're still using Nurse/Ceci as a pairing despite being shown not once but twice that it doesn't work warrants some serious questions. Bouchard/Ekholm was great, Kulak/VD was passable, and Nurse/Ceci was horrific.
Holland needed more time. It took four years to get Ekholm. We're three years out from a Ceci replacement.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG and oobga

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I honestly think Nurse is one of the worst players I have ever seen relative to his reputation and standing within the team.

Like yeah there are some horrible 4th liners, but for a guy who gets constant praise from coaching and players alike, making 9.25M and the minutes he is played, he is one of the worst performers I have seen in a long time.

The guy is joke and has been defended on here for far too long.

He's the dumbest player I've ever seen.

As others have mentioned here already, Nurse in his rookie season was better than this. The identical airhead mistakes still existed, but he played fewer minutes against easier matchups and actually made an impact physically. This is just a total disaster. The identical rookie mistakes are still there, but he gets to do it with more minutes and he's decided he doesn't need to hit anymore either I guess.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's the dumbest player I've ever seen.

As others have mentioned here already, Nurse in his rookie season was better than this. The identical airhead mistakes still existed, but he played fewer minutes against easier matchups and actually made an impact physically. This is just a total disaster. The identical rookie mistakes are still there, but he gets to do it with more minutes and he's decided he doesn't need to hit anymore either I guess.
He doesn't read and react well which makes it hilarious that they only partner him with an unmitigated disaster that constantly makes him read and react.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Vancouvers fifth goal was putrid. The defence and Skinner were atrocious on that one.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
worst loss in Oilers history

the entire world is for shit in 2024 with no signs of improvement, it's only becoming worse, and your sports team is what's keeping you sane

have some coffee and carry on

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Nurse and Ceci were already playing a 3rd line matchup, but that's the wrong matchup for them. They can't function against any sort of forecheck and that is one of the heavier forechecking lines in the league.

In a bizarre way, matching them agains the Nucks second line is probably the way to go. That line, despite appearing to be better on paper, hasn't been a major threat and is probably easier to player against. Give Vinny and Kulak the third line because this pair can actually manage a forecheck.

Beyond this, I don't want to see Nurse and Ceci out for D zone draws unless we absolutely have to. They are liabilities every single time they are in our zone.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
The turning point for me was when the refs didn't call a penalty on Vancouver for gloving the puck and throwing it up the ice. They call that penalty and the Oilers get a PP and Van doesn't score their 3rd goal.
To me, it was when Nuge hit the post on practically an empty net.
Would’ve made it 5-2 and pretty much iced the game. Instead they went and scored soon after to make it 4-3.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The bad
Everyone has mentioned it.

The good/mid
- Janmark had jump
- Holloway had jump
- Perry was engaged
- PK was good
- Nuge wasn't floating

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Vancouvers fifth goal was putrid. The defence and Skinner were atrocious on that one.
Another play where Ceci gives me a head ache.

There isn't a Canuck other than Garland on your side of the red line. Why are you just gliding? Guy doesn't take a single stride from the red line in when he could easily take that play away.

Reactions: Echodek

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
I'm trying to be more even keel with the ups and downs this year, as of course even for the team which wins the Cup there's going to be lots of bad breaks, and some bad games, but man it's tough after last night. Up 4-2, with 10 minutes left, you have to close out that game, that's such a backbreaker. Would have been huge to start the series off with a win and to immediately take back home ice, but at least it happened in game 1 and not later in the series.

Don't know why the Oilers stopped playing but they did nothing for the second and third periods. Played the first really well, and played how they need to to beat the Canucks. They did overall quite a good job of handling the Canucks cycle in the d-zone and limiting chances, and before the extended flurry in the final 90 seconds of the period, shots were 10-3 for Edmonton. It was looking like Vancouver's series against Nashville where they struggled to get high quality chances.

O-zone play for the Oilers was strong in the first too. They played how they should against the Canucks hybrid zone system. Brought a forward high multiple times to drag their centre away from the net and then used the D or some quick passes to create good looks. But again, they completely stopped playing. Have to give the Canucks credit for coming out to play better, but to only get, what, 6 more shots in the final 40 minutes is horrific from the Oilers.

Nurse-Ceci continue to be a big problem, teams with offensive skill pick on them and it's not a surprise as they can't handle it. I think they can certainly play better than they did last night, but Knoblauch might have to run Nurse-Ceci as another 3rd pair and even their minutes out with Kulak-Vinny. Ekholm-Bouch can't play 30 minutes a night but they might need to be closer to 25/26 if the Oilers are going to win.

Skinner, I try to balance the good and the bad but at this point I just don't know if he has it. Completely respectable goalie for the regular season, but he can't seem to string together multiple good (or even average) starts in a row. Goals 2, 3, 5 were all awful last night.

In my pessimistic mode I saw that was a brutal choke job, giving Vancouver momentum, and the Oilers failed to capitalize on the other teams goalie having a bad game, and if Toccet isn't a dumbass he probably goes to DeSmith for game 2 after seeing that.

If Knoblauch is telling them to sit back and protect leads, as they've now played like that twice, he needs to cut it out. They played to not lose, instead of playing to win. Prevent D makes it hard to win, and the Oilers don't have the D personnel to play prevent D for 30 minutes. They need to play smart while they have a lead, but that's by not making unnecessary pinches or throwing pucks away that will immediately result in odd-man rushes. It doesn't mean sitting back for 30 minutes and never shooting.

On the more optimistic side, I'd say it's only game 1, if they win game 2 they're still coming home with a split which is pretty good. The Oilers only played 20 minutes last night and almost won, and should have. McDavid was a ghost and Draisaitl was lumbering after the injury, and they still almost won. If they can bring what they did in the first period for the majority of the game, they can win this thing.

Hopefully this is a big learning lesson and they buckle down, figure it out, and play like they can. But that has to be the most frustrating playoff loss for me since the Anaheim choke job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad