Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The Canucks were dead in the water and instead of finishing them off the Oilers let them get up off the mat. Their goalie was struggling bad and we just let him be. Why does this always happen? Stop playing like f***ing Boy Scouts.

If Nurse/Ceci is still a pairing in game two wave the white flag.

Yeah, team has the killer instinct of a baby kitten. Got this rookie goalie on the ropes and we just stop trying to score on him. Whatever this crap we started is where we just sit back for entire periods, better knock it off immediately.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
the Canucks were not dead in the water...they dominated the 2nd and 3rd and the Oilers were lucky to be up 4-1 on a couple fluky goals
The Canucks were crap. Both teams didn't bring playoff energy, it was a horrible game by both teams. It just so happened that the Oilers imploded at the wrong time and their goalie was horrendous but there was no domination whatsoever, it was a turtle race to the finish.

You are right that the Oilers were lucky to be up 4-1 though but the Canucks were also lucky that Skinner completely shit himself.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Canucks were crap. Both teams didn't bring playoff energy, it was a horrible game by both teams. It just so happened that the Oilers imploded at the wrong time and their goalie was horrendous.
no they weren't...they completely dominated the Oilers to the tune 19-4 shots AFTER the Hyman goal (Oilers didn't get a shot on Silovs until the game was tied)

Reactions: LivingRentFree

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Canucks were crap. Both teams didn't bring playoff energy, it was a horrible game by both teams. It just so happened that the Oilers imploded at the wrong time and their goalie was horrendous but there was no domination whatsoever, it was a turtle race to the finish.
Both teams were crap and that’s still a game the Canucks win 9/10 times. They sucked we were dreadful

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Yeah, team has the killer instinct of a baby kitten. Got this rookie goalie on the ropes and we just stop trying to score on him. Whatever this crap we started is where we just sit back for entire periods, better knock it off immediately.
They tried to play that defensive game and it didn't work. Esp when Skinner started letting medicine balls into the net.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
When will Stewart Skinner win a game on his own?

2 of the last 3 goals where on him regardless of how the team is playing. Tired of the lessons learned stick.

Reactions: Pavel10

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think Draisaitl leaving the bench halfway through the 2nd after tweaking his back rattled the team. That's the moment when they pulled back despite being up 4-1. The coach had to adjust the lines and the Oilers were forced to change a strategy that was working.

Plus, when McDavid is having an off game the team always had Draisaitl step into the gap. Suddenly missing that key element is going to impact all the players; one wishes it didn't, but it clearly did.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Yup was up til 1am I was so pissed. Skinner the usual. "I thought I made some good saves" "I learned from the Garland goal".

Try that shit with the English media if you play epl. They'll ask tell him straight up it seems like he has learned nothing from last year. Letting in 5 a piece.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They tried to play that defensive game and it didn't work. Esp when Skinner started letting medicine balls into the net.
I don’t know why they didn’t even attempt shots on a shaky goalie. Just content to pass it and not do anything. They gave the Canucks confidence. If the Oilers lose next game they aren’t coming back.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
The Canucks had a backup goalie shit the bed. They let them off the hook.
The Canucks had a scapegoat in Cole which could have spiralled. They let him off the hook now, with even worse D.
They had the Canucks believing they could be beat by the Oilers. They let that slip away.
Then the whole team, including McDavid decides to just go home.
Just an utter failure.

Reactions: midnightcopper

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Blood boiling last night. A lot of rage haha.

Objective view of it, Nurse and Ceci were horrible but in the end it boils down to Skinner being able to make some pretty routine saves to win this one for his team after they played very poorly.

I am not a Skinner hater by any means, but he's now one of the worst goaltenders in the playoffs yet again in terms of goals saved above expected. Among starting goalies, he's the 2nd worst tender outside of Georgiev.

You can't continue to have 2 solid games and then produce an absolute stinker. It will catch up to you as you aren't always going to win the games you play solid in but you're most certainly going to lose the ones you play poorly in.

Starting to get really worried about the consistency in net. They played f***ing horrible last night, don't get me wrong. But Vancouver generated one high danger chance in the third and Skinner lets 3 in. The Miller tip he lost his post. The Garland goal was just..... ugly. The one he tips in with his own stick. You could argue the Zadorov goal was debatable. But you could really just use a save there and it was a savable puck.

At some point you just gotta gut out a win when your team is playing horrible.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Pathetic. That might be one of the most despicable losses I've ever seen. Per usual, when they lose, it's because they beat themselves. And they did that spectacularly tonight.

Offensively, only Hyman had anything. And Draisaitl before getting hurt. I don't know who the f*** is wearing the 97 jersey out there, but whoever it was just played the worst game of their career. Bobbling passes like a stone-handed rookie, skating like it's Sunday afternoon. Zero engagement. Nuge missed an absolute sitter with a wide open cage AND the goalie looking the other way. Kane, Janmark and the rest awful. How you could look at the 3rd and 4th goals going in on that goalie and think "let's not shoot ever again"... deplorable offensive plan and effort. Knob can wear horns here too, he didn't recognize right from the 1st minute of the 2nd period, this team had pulled to plug and needed a shake up.

Defensively, what do you even say? Nurse-Ceci. Always f****** Nurse-Ceci. I firmly believe this team would have at least a Cup Finals appearance in the last 3 years if the obvious upgrade need there was taken even mildly serious by management. A casual could see Nurse processing the game slow and stupid. Disengaged. Physically uninterested. Flat-footed. Worse than Kris Russell ever was at giving the puck away around the boards. Positionally never where he should be, constantly abandoning the dangerous guy in front of the net. Not getting pucks out with full control 2 feet from the blue line. It's beyond sad. Anyone other then 9.25, this is an easy press box decision. And this isn't just a one-off. Even in the LA series, even in the more defensive games 4 and 5, the close calls always happened with him on the ice (especially in the final minutes of periods). That pairing had most minutes against the Canucks 3rd line which just adds to the embarrassment.

Goaltending? How do you even let in goals 3-5? Miller on the goal line, MOVE and hug your f****** post, it's not like he roofed it. Zadorov from 10 miles out with full visibility. Garland along the ice. Skinner choked. We needed him to steal this in the 3rd with Draisaitl labouring and the rest of the group shitting the bed. He failed miserably and somehow was 2nd best to the sieve at the other end.

Worst of all - sends a message that Vancouver indeed has hope and a chance in the series. The arena was dead at critical points. And it wasn't Vancouver's ability (though they outplayed us) that got them back in it. It was us always, always, making it harder than it needs to be. This isn't f****** LA where you can win with a dozen shots sitting on a lead. Canucks have finishers.

Where is the team doing what they are best at? Dominating offensively on the cycle, 35+ shots, 1st in grade A chances? Where the f*** is that team? Game 3 against LA is the last time they looked like they should.

Sick of them pissing away games and giving the opponent life that isn't earned. Beyond livid at this team. No appreciation for the gravity of the moment, the importance of the series lead, the urgency needed in playoffs. And that's the most concerning after all the build up and talk. They still have games where it's learning lessons instead of taking the game by the throat even though they have the ability. Pathetic.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seeing Broberg trotted out there with an injured Drai and the ghost of RNH would be a sight to behold haha.
They don’t do it even though arguably it would be sn improvement. They like Nurse and Ceci too much to hold them accountable for their play.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
no they weren't...they completely dominated the Oilers to the tune 19-4 shots AFTER the Hyman goal (Oilers didn't get a shot on Silovs until the game was tied)
The shots were deceiving. It was a low energy game, very poorly played by both teams. What were the high danger scoring chances? Not very high for either team I bet. Shots are a fairly meaningless stat without context.

If you saw domination out there then I'd have to vehemently disagree with that. Vancouver outplayed them in the 3rd but it wasn't a domination.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think Draisaitl leaving the bench halfway through the 2nd after tweaking his back rattled the team. That's the moment when they pulled back despite being up 4-1. The coach had to adjust the lines and the Oilers were forced to change a strategy that was working.

Plus, when McDavid is having an off game the team always had Draisaitl step into the gap. Suddenly missing that key element is going to impact all the players; one wishes it didn't, but it clearly did.
Makes sense. The team is basically built and coached to just do nothing and wait for McDrai or the PP to win the game.

Lose one of them and/or stop getting PPs and it probably looks pretty hopeless for them.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
The shots were deceiving. It was a low energy game, very poorly played by both teams. What were the high danger scoring chances? Not very high for either team I bet.
If you saw domination out there then I'd have to vehemently disagree with that. Vancouver outplayed them in the 3rd but it wasn't a domination.

High danger chances were 11-5 Vancouver. 10 of Vancouver's came in the 1st and 2nd. They got 1 high danger chance in the third. Skinner lets 3 by.

• Wow

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Some weight should be lifted from all those bandwagoners jumping off last night. We all know they typically lose game 1 and come back strong so I have hope.
That was the worst playoff game we have played for… probably McDavids entire time here. Yes worse than game 1 against the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad