Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That goal is more on Skinner than Nurse.

Nurse recovered and forced him into a low percentage shot, which Skinner then helped guide in.

Nurse does enough dumb shit on his own to use that against him.

The 2nd goal I think which Skinner put in, if Nurse read the play faster his stick is there so the Nuck doesnt even think about that play, instead hes sitting in the center covering no one until its too late.
The goal doesn’t happen if there is either average defense or average goaltending.

We got neither.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But if we buy him out, we cannot afford a 2nd pairing guy...
For the next 2 seasons we can. We actually gain over a mill in cap space on top of his contract being gone next year if we buy him out this summer.
It goes
-1.2mill
9m
9.5m
9.5m
9.5m
Then 6 years of 1.5.
So really buying him out is very beneficial for the next 2 seasons, which is our window.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
All the teams that had 7 days off did poorly in game 1. So at least the Oilers aren't alone in that.

The NHL really needs to stop giving these long breaks when it's not necessary.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
This is year 3 of this, Colorado feasted on that pair, Vegas feasted on that pair, the entire fanbase knew we needed an upgrade and was begging for one, old Kenny boy sits on his hands.
He didnt sit on his hands. He traded a 1st for winger depth and a 5th line centre, neither of whom is playing right now.

Reactions: Shanahanigans

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That’s f***in wild. Matches the eye test too. They were f***in horrid.
3 straight years of them being shit, brother. Wasting 3 years of McDrai. Inexcusable, f*** Ken Holland.
At this point it’s frankly irresponsible for Knoblauch to not make some sort of adjustment with that pair. Any or all of the following are fine.

- Take Ceci out for Stecher in some hope this makes Nurse less f***ing dumb

- deploy them as a third pair with third pair matchups and avoid d zone or defensive side neutral zone draws like the plague

- Flip Kulak and Nurse, give Kulak Nurse’s minutes and matchups

They can’t pretend it’s just an off night where it’s likely they’ll turn around next game. They’ve been shit the entire playoffs and those two idiots have been major factors in two consecutive playoff defeats. If Knoblauch doesn’t know this then somebody better educate him before dumb and dumber do it three years in a row.

It’s at the point where they have to move on from Nurse even if it’s painful. We can not win with him.

I'd rather see Stecher any day, but this team will live and breathe playing Nurse and Ceci. Don't expect much change at all for next game aside from Henrique being back potentially and maybe Carrick for the 4th line for the grit and to win faceoffs.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, that was the turning point.

You knew that when he gave up that softie that the tide was turning. Sure enough, Chernobyl style meltdown after that.

But having said that the team will work much harder in game 2.
After that goal I bet 100 on canucks coming back and hit at a decent amount.

Thats the only positive tonight for me.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So you agree with me that if he were out long term he wouldn't have played the third?
I just feel that if the game was salted away we wouldn't have seen him in the third. Just my take he was pressed into action due to the game looking like a shitshow already in the 2nd period. The team noticeably just sagged when he got hurt. That in itself is speaking to something. I'm speculating, none of us know. Of course none of will know until after playoffs.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Such a kick in the nuts!!! You're up 4-1 and the nucks goalie is rattled and you stop shooting? f*** inexcusable!!! Skinner was garbage tonight and we don't get any pps other than a too many men penalty? So f***ing pissed Oilers blew this game!!! Embarrassing!!!!
You know Kozari is jerking off to how great he was tonight too.

Missed two pretty clear tripping calls

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Not worried about Skinner bouncing back as it seems like he needs to have a stinker before he settles in.

The Nurse-Ceci pairing is f***ing alarming. They were on for almost every goal against and gave up a ton of other chances too (like the early breakaway to garland).

I give our other d the benefit of the doubt on some mistakes today because they haven't been used to an aggressive forecheck since the reg season but I'm going to have nightmares about our second pairing tonight.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Im just bummed cause I stupidly had hoped that theyd left these type of collapses behind them. Its just one game and they can still win this series but with these collapses its going to be really hard going all the way..
My confidence is totally shot after this performance. I thought those days were behind them.

Reactions: Gnome17

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, that was the turning point.

You knew that when he gave up that softie that the tide was turning. Sure enough, Chernobyl style meltdown after that.

But having said that the team will work much harder in game 2.
They will, but if that's still a part of this team's game they'll never win a cup let alone make a SCF. I'll give them a pass tonight because of the ridiculous week off from NHL scheduling, but if they have another performance like that I have zero faith in this team ever seeing a SCF in the McDrai era.

Reactions: Skar

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Please tell me that Knob doesn't think this lineup can just sit on leads for entire periods. How could anyone think that? Has he ever seen Nurse and Ceci play together?

The only way this team can defend leads is by attacking and keeping the puck as far from our zone as possible for as long as possible. LA was a 1-line team that wanted to play the trap. Being able to sit back against them and still win is no indication that you can pull it off against a good team, and there are only good teams left in these playoffs.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Blaming one dude on the internet for the Oilers loss. Ok.
There's a bunch of you, I barely read the gdt and there's a poster ten times as bad as you, and that's something.

I wonder if the Canuck players have read your efforts. Look, you're famous.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t see Stecher saving us from Ceci. Too much chaos in his game. More ability than Ceci but it comes with its warts. Holland needed a real upgrade, no some 6D from Arizona.

This might be my first post on Stecher all year. I see him as a complete non factor and only there if injuries hit and we don’t want to play an even riskier bet in Broberg.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Inexcusably play by the whole club the last 2 periods but with how much Nucks got in scoring chances no way that should be 5 GA. To put this in perspective Nucks scored only 13 goals in 6 games all of round one. They blow 5 by Stewed Skinner.

To be fair they only got 3 past him. He scored two on himself.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
For the next 2 seasons we can. We actually gain over a mill in cap space on top of his contract being gone next year if we buy him out this summer.
It goes
-1.2mill
9m
9.5m
9.5m
9.5m
Then 6 years of 1.5.
So really buying him out is very beneficial for the next 2 seasons, which is our window.
Yeah I don’t think having 9M of dead cap for 4 years is gonna work though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You know Kozari is jerking off to how great he was tonight too.

Missed two pretty clear tripping calls
Yup...the Refs didnt help but the Oilers didnt initiate much of anything for 40 minutes of that game.
The Refs are always going to favor the team that takes over the play and thats what the Canucks did in periods 2 and 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad