Nurse once again Edmonton Oilers' top prospect in Fall 2014 Top 20

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It would be really interesting to see the 1st round draft rankings of every team after the drafts are complete. :) Something we'll obviously never see except tidbits here and there.

Nurse is a solid prospect... this is from someone who would have chosen Nichushkin over Nurse but Nurse has the potential to be a solid player for the Oilers going forward. Size, physicality.. a solid all-around dman... there's certainly a lot of promise there... just have to see if he can live up to that.

I'm hoping Yakimov impresses and far exceeds expectations... but I think a full year long stint in OKC is the prudent path for him.

I'm not as impressed so far with Klefbom as many others seem to be. I certainly see his potential and he looks like he has most/all of the goods to be a solid NHL dman... but honestly I haven't seen him impress much yet... still young... still time... patience.

Marincin is already a top 4 dman from what I've seen... now just has to continue without regressing and hopefully wring out a little more offense.

Draisaitl will almost certainly make the team and won't be a prospect by the end of the season... he'll be a fixture on the team.

Moroz/Khaira/Chase lump into one... one of them almost HAS to be good enough to play a strong bottom 6 role at the NHL level... please.

The rest of the prospects are generally longshots and "fringers" but no doubt one or two will surprise and make it to the NHL level... at least for a few partial seasons.

Simpson could be the best bet to surprise... seems to have the skillset for an all-around game and his hockey genes certainly don't hurt either.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Thanks for posting that raab.

Now what would be interesting is watching the process for the Oilers and noting how they go about it in the same draft.

i guess that's the real issue here....i had no idea that the Flyers were as high on Morin as they were, but this episode proves it. as far as i know, because of where the Oilers were picking, it seems to me that Monahan and Nurse were the two players the Oilers were the most interested in. goes to show that, despite rankings from various scouting services, that each team may rank a player differently than the other and that need may actually play a part in the player picked in the spot he's taken.

McMoMoney29

Aug 18, 2014
If nurse plays for the oilers, who's spot will he take? I think he could use one more season in the ohl and then he will play in 2015-2016

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
i guess that's the real issue here....i had no idea that the Flyers were as high on Morin as they were, but this episode proves it. as far as i know, because of where the Oilers were picking, it seems to me that Monahan and Nurse were the two players the Oilers were the most interested in. goes to show that, despite rankings from various scouting services, that each team may rank a player differently than the other and that need may actually play a part in the player picked in the spot he's taken.

someone mentioned Nurse's size in this thread, and that it was a deciding factor instead of hockey ability. If that's a concern for Nurse, that goes double for the 6'8" Morin. Nurse has better stats than Morin in a lower scoring league. I don't recall ever watching Morin, but I can say that I really like Nurse's hockey IQ, and that objectively he was good enough to make the Oilers out of camp last year, but that we did the right thing and sent him down, but only for the sake of development.

Even in that video of the Philly draft discussion, Morin's size seems to be the linchpin to their arguments for him. That one guy says he really likes Morin "if he hits" which tells me that Morin is definitely more a project that Nurse is to them. Personally, I didn't get a good impression from that group and how they evaluated prospects.

At any rate, we shouldn't be surprised that there is disagreement on who goes where. The Leafs apparently had Morgan Reilly above Murray, Yak, Reinhart, and Galchenyuk. GMs have access to a much more diverse set of data than what we have access to as fans.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
This is another example of why (IMO) the NHL should renegotiate its agreement with the CHL. Nurse would be an excellent candidate to play in the AHL this year. Get him used to playing against men and in a faster, smarter brand of hockey. I don't doubt that he can still learn in the OHL but frankly I feel his development would be better served in the A.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Yeah, the CHL/AHL 20 year old rule isn't fair to the players. It does suck that CHL teams lose their best guys, but they're a developmental league. What do they expect? It just hurts players in the long run because there are so many guys who are way to good for junior but aren't good enough, strong enough or mature enough for the NHL.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Again... the top 10/15 spots in each year's NHL draft should be immune to the 20 year old rule. That's mainly where the most elite players are found and those players would benefit (sometimes) from stepping up to the AHL.

It makes too much sense so it won't be done.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yeah, the CHL/AHL 20 year old rule isn't fair to the players. It does suck that CHL teams lose their best guys, but they're a developmental league. What do they expect? It just hurts players in the long run because there are so many guys who are way to good for junior but aren't good enough, strong enough or mature enough for the NHL.

As long as CHL teams are able to retain their star players, thus selling tickets, they're going to fight pretty hard to keep this rule in place.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^the info i had at the time was that the Oil were not that high on Elias Lindholm, so one possible way things could have turned out would be if Carolina had taken Monahan or Nurse instead, and the Flames take whomever the Canes didn't want if the Flames didn't want Lindholm. then you would have Lindholm there at #7, a player the Oilers didn't appear to be too interested in, and the Oil could have taken him anyways if they felt he was the BPA, or they could have just taken Ristolainen or even Zadorov, whom the Oilers seemed to like very much. hell, two good centers we could really use were available as well in Curtis Lazar and Bo Horvat. we could have just picked one of them or traded down to get one of the previously mentioned four players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad