Proposal: Nurse for Huberdeau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
To Calgary: Nurse

To Edmonton: Huberdeau retained ($1,250,000) so the cap hit is the same. Well the cap hit wouldn't be the same but the flames besides paying Huberdeau 10.5 million would essentially be paying Nurse 10.5 million.

So Nurses contract has 6 years left at $9,250,000

and Huberdeau contract has 7 years left but after retention his cap hit would be $9,250,000

Now im struggling to gauge Nurses value but the basis of this trade can make a lot of sense especially if you play Huberdeau beside a player like McDavid or Draisaitl, imo he bounces back to at least 80-90 points with one of them as his line mates.

For the Flames this makes sense due to the fact they can use a top 4 LD dman although overpaid can add a lacking element to their dcore, Nurse is also younger and has one less year to his contract although they would lose a retention spot for the next 7 years.

so Im curious do you see this as a good value for a trade? and if not what team would have to add?

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
Nurse is overpaid for sure, but the last thing the Oilers need is less defense
Moving Nurse probably will get them a better defense. I don’t think the Flames would touch it though. They are the two worst contracts in the league but forwards are easier to shelter and there is a decent chance Huberdeau starts producing with McDavid.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Nurse is overpaid for sure, but the last thing the Oilers need is less defense
Imo with the picks they have id say the Oilers should be able to find a replacement for Nurse via trade or even UFA, like Zadorov, Dillion, or Edmundson.

I'd say the next two years are vital for the oilers and if they have to give up their 1st and other round draft picks for a top 4 LHD they should be able to do so.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Nurse is younger and soon enough will be considered definitely better than Huberdeau, I think. You can win a cup with Nurse on your 2nd pairing. Sadly, he's overpaid by like $3 million.

Huberdeau is basically a 2nd liner right now that doesn't penalty kill and isn't physical. He could rebound to become a 1st liner again, but he could just as easily stay the same or even regress. That contract is a boat anchor and likely will remain one. There's a chance that Huberdeau will prevent the team that pays him from becoming a cup winner. That's never going to be the case with Nurse, except perhaps the $3 million wasted cap space. Keep in mind though that "$3 million in cap space" becomes a smaller and smaller % of the cap each year as the cap rises.

If I'm Edmonton, I just laugh and hang up. Even with the retention offered.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The cap hit won’t be the same if you ask Calgary to retain

Nurse would basically them count for 10.5

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Nurse at 50% retained isn’t worth a broken broom stick.
Nurse 50% retained will easily get Edmonton a 1st round pick and maybe more on the open market. Whether he's worth that or not to the team paying him, I guess that's a different story. In the context of the trade market though, this is definitely wrong.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

To Edmonton: Huberdeau retained ($1,250,000) so the cap hit is the same.

and Huberdeau contract has 7 years left but after retention his cap hit would be $9,250,000

Now im struggling to gauge Nurses value but the basis of this trade can make a lot of sense especially if you play Huberdeau beside a player like McDavid or Draisaitl, imo he bounces back to at least 80-90 points with one of them as his line mates.

For the Flames this makes sense due to the fact they can use a top 4 LD dman although overpaid can add a lacking element to their dcore, Nurse is also younger and has one less year to his contract although they would lose a retention spot for the next 7 years.

so Im curious do you see this as a good value for a trade? and if not what team would have to add?
Just fyi, but the cap hit wouldn’t be the same. Edm would be paying Huberdeau $9.25, and Cgy would be paying Nurse $9.25 + retaining $1.25. If you want to make the salaries even Cgy should retain $625k.

Reactions: majormajor

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
The cap hit won’t be the same if you ask Calgary to retain

Nurse would basically them count for 10.5
Well essentially what I meant was it wouldn't affect either teams cap situation, as in there would be no surplus for the flames, so besides paying Huberdeau 10.5 they would just be paying Nurse 10.5, although his cap hit would still be 9.5.

Just fyi, but the cap hit wouldn’t be the same. Edm would be paying Huberdeau $9.25, and Cgy would be paying Nurse $9.25 + retaining $1.25. If you want to make the salaries even Cgy should retain $625k.
misworded on my part but I meant that it wouldn't effect their cap situation as the flames would be paying a total of 10.5 as they are paying 10.5 for huberdeau.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nurse 50% retained will easily get Edmonton a 1st round pick and maybe more on the open market. Whether he's worth that or not to the team paying him, I guess that's a different story. In the context of the trade market though, this is definitely wrong.
Oof. What a post. Nurse is unable to play #4 minutes in Edmonton. Like completely overwhelmed by them. Even at 50% no one is paying a 1st.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Give me the top 6 winger over the bottom pair d man. The only positive to Nurse is one less year and a slightly lower cap hit.

Huberdeau can still bring some offense, and if Calgary ever got another first line talent he'd put up points again (they should go all in for Reinhart). Meanwhile Nurse is a liability even on the 3rd pair. All the physical tools but one of the dumbest NHLers I've ever seen, hard to hide that

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

To Edmonton: Huberdeau retained ($1,250,000) so the cap hit is the same. Well the cap hit wouldn't be the same but the flames besides paying Huberdeau 10.5 million would essentially be paying Nurse 10.5 million.

Nurse is horrible and these are two of the worst contracts in hockey, but the last thing the Oilers need is another soft forward who can’t perform in the post season.

Although I suppose the urge of thinking Huberdeau could return to a 1st liner may take over

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014

Yeah, you would have to give away your 1st round pick to get rid of Nurse on the open market even at 50% :D

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Give me the top 6 winger over the bottom pair d man. The only positive to Nurse is one less year and a slightly lower cap hit.

Huberdeau can still bring some offense, and if Calgary ever got another first line talent he'd put up points again (they should go all in for Reinhart). Meanwhile Nurse is a liability even on the 3rd pair. All the physical tools but one of the dumbest NHLers I've ever seen, hard to hide that
To be fair to Nurse he also has the ability to bounce back especially if he is paired with dman like Andersson, He has shown the ability to be a 2-3 guy although he hasn't played like one this season. With the flames who are essentially rebuilding that last year can make a huge difference.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why would anyone want a $4.5M bottom pairing D who keeps getting worse?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It's interesting in that Nurse could bounce back with a Anderson pairing. Then again Hubs could bounce back with a McDrai pairing of some combo. I think however it's too big a risk for these 2 rivals to risk one fleeces the other here. If these 2 players were on teams that weren't such rivals I could see it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad