Confirmed Trade: [NSH/TBL] Ryan McDonagh for Philippe Myers and Grant Mismash

Hedmonster Bolt

Les Paul Goon Life
May 8, 2018
Largo,Fl
With how close that Tampa squad is and how important McD is in that room, I would’ve moved Cirelli. Cirelli seems like an outsider on that team and they have Stamkos+Point down the middle already. Plus he would get a nice return, they could get a young player on their ELC back for him+a pick

Slide Colton to 3C, keep Bellemare at 4C

You’re going in next year aiming to win another cup at all costs. McDonagh will still be McDonagh then. Cirelli is a guy who doesn’t perform in the playoffs routinely and his defensive impact is overstated considering he wasn’t all that good in that regard either
Tell me you know nothing about the Bolts without telling me.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
With how close that Tampa squad is and how important McD is in that room, I would’ve moved Cirelli. Cirelli seems like an outsider on that team and they have Stamkos+Point down the middle already. Plus he would get a nice return, they could get a young player on their ELC back for him+a pick

Slide Colton to 3C, keep Bellemare at 4C

You’re going in next year aiming to win another cup at all costs. McDonagh will still be McDonagh then. Cirelli is a guy who doesn’t perform in the playoffs routinely and his defensive impact is overstated considering he wasn’t all that good in that regard either
Cirelli regularly finishes top-5 in Selke voting. The guy played without both his shoulders and still successfully shut down Matthews, Marner, Barkov, Huberdeau, Panarin and Kreider 5v5.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Carrier had 30 points in his 1st full season as a rookie defender, kinda came out of nowhere and didn’t do too bad holding off forwards that were bigger then him as well.

Carrier was well deserving of being named to the NHL all rookie team along with Calder defensemen Moritz Seider. 3F-(2D)-1G.

If there were a top defensemen list I’d have Carrier somewhere above McDonagh JMO.

It might not be out of the possibility that McDonagh could be paired with Carrier during the 22-23 season.
I could actually see 3 balanced pairings. Especially if Lauzon can play a decent shutdown role
Josi-Fabbro
Ekholm-Lauzon
McDonagh-Carrier

Ekholm has more offense than he offered last season as he was out into a more stay at home role

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Honestly. I would see if there is a taker for Killorn, and what we could get from him. See if we can get some draft capital back. If we do take a player back I would want a hustler with a bit of speed. For example the major difference between Joseph and Paul was the hustle mentality (Joseph was actually faster, just he never was a hound for the puck like Paul.). That is what I would want. We can address that in free agency I hope.
I agree. That is why I would have rather seen Gourde stay and Kilorn go to Seattle as a player. Gourde was fast and a hound for the puck. As a person, I think Kilorn could end up in the organization after his playing days.

Reactions: Bolt32

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't buy it. Or at least I hope it's not true.
I'm going to pretend that word just changed as it trickled down to other people, and what really took place was CBJ contacting Tampa to see if they were waiving him with interest of claiming. So Tampa let McDonagh know and he decided to waive.

Business is business, I guess.

Reactions: DFC

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
True, but where would that benefit him? I doubt he would just do it because it felt good.
Plenty of hockey players are pretty petty/vindictive - the agent could've leaked it. I'm sure he had plenty of people asking him why he waived his NTC from both teams, all it takes is one player to talk.

Don't need to look much further than MAF's agent posting a photo of getting stabbed in the back to tell you how these people think. McDonagh is 33 and has 4 years left on his contract, he doesn't have to worry about the next contract so it really doesn't hurt him.

Edit - Also this is no disrespect to Nashville, but why would McDonagh waive his NTC? He basically had everything in Tampa - playing on one of the best teams in the league, won B2B cups, low taxes, great weather, etc. From all accounts he doesn't have any ties or connection to Nashville, so why would he waive? Because he's a nice guy?

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
the "agreement" thing seems weird though. i'm assuming that might be a semantics or a lost in translation thing.

i'm assuming what that really means is GMs around the league got wind of JBB possibly waiving McDonagh and the Blue Jackets said they would likely select him. the way it's being reported sounds like they engaged in some conspiracy to force Mcdonagh's hand....

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Can someone explain to me why Tampa took back a bad contract in Myers instead of just waiving McDonagh and getting rid of him for free?

The obvious answer would be they were trying to help McDonagh somewhat control where he goes. Part of that was they had to take myers for Nashville to accept it and make it work for them.

i don't know if their scouting department values the player at all and if they think he can be salvaged, or if they just see him as a pure cap dump and had to bite the bullet. apparently his buyout is very team friendly....

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Plenty of hockey players are pretty petty/vindictive - the agent could've leaked it. I'm sure he had plenty of people asking him why he waived his NTC from both teams, all it takes is one player to talk.

Don't need to look much further than MAF's agent posting a photo of getting stabbed in the back to tell you how these people think. McDonagh is 33 and has 4 years left on his contract, he doesn't have to worry about the next contract so it really doesn't hurt him.

Edit - Also this is no disrespect to Nashville, but why would McDonagh waive his NTC? He basically had everything in Tampa - playing on one of the best teams in the league, won B2B cups, low taxes, great weather, etc. From all accounts he doesn't have any ties or connection to Nashville, so why would he waive? Because he's a nice guy?
No State income tax in Tennessee only other option with no taxes and decent winter is Dallas

Reactions: Curufinwe

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Because McDonagh had a say in where he went.
Only in a trade. He has no choice if he's waived.

The obvious answer would be they were trying to help McDonagh somewhat control where he goes. Part of that was they had to take myers for Nashville to accept it and make it work for them.

i don't know if their scouting department values the player at all and if they think he can be salvaged, or if they just see him as a pure cap dump and had to bite the bullet. apparently his buyout is very team friendly....
Could be it, just seems unlikely to me that Tampa would take a $3.8M bath and make their already bad cap situation worse just to be a nice guy. Maybe I'm underrating Myers' value. It's definitely surprising Tampa is choosing to not buy him out. I think there's more to this story that will come out later.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No State income tax in Tennessee only other option with no taxes and decent winter is Dallas

Nashville is a good landing spot. He should be grateful they didn't try and force him somewhere with much colder weather and much higher taxes.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
No state income tax, destination city, history of good defense, Vezina goalie, good weather.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Only in a trade. He has no choice if he's waived.

Could be it, just seems unlikely to me that Tampa would take a $3.8M bath and make their already bad cap situation worse just to be a nice guy. Maybe I'm underrating Myers' value. It's definitely surprising Tampa is choosing to not buy him out. I think there's more to this story that will come out later.

Myers' cap hit is 2.5 not 3.8

and unless im mistaken, they actually get a cap credit of 600k in '23 and only a small hit of 600k in '24 if they buy him out

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
unless josi or ekholm have a longterm injury, nashville now has over 71 minutes per game of left hand defence based on last seasons numbers.

even if they cut back josi and ekholm icetime a little and reallocate pk time, they still have the basic problem of 3 dmen each good for well over 20 minutes.

and it is hard to believe they took mcdonaugh to spend $6.75m of cap on a third pair dman.

so is nashville going to move ekholm here? will they deliberately play one of these guys on their off side?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
unless josi or ekholm have a longterm injury, nashville now has over 71 minutes per game of left hand defence based on last seasons numbers.

even if they cut back josi and ekholm icetime a little and reallocate pk time, they still have the basic problem of 3 dmen each good for well over 20 minutes.

and it is hard to believe they took mcdonaugh to spend $6.75m of cap on a third pair dman.

so is nashville going to move ekholm here? will they deliberately play one of these guys on their off side?

LHD play their off side a lot in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad