Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] F Philip Tomasino re-signs with the Predators (1 year, $825k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I’ll bet he was offered that deal in July, and his agent said let’s hold off and see if we can get an offer sheet. When none came it became more important to get in camp and get NHL stats for this season.
I imagine the Preds just trucked out his QO as the bare minimum they were allowed to offer, which would have been $874,125, except they also would have gone bare minimum on the minor league salary too, making it a 2-way offer with the lowest AHL salary they could include (whether that's preserving the previous $70k, or if they had to bump it up slightly I don't think it matters - point being the QO would have been 2-way).

I'm sure nobody was going to offer sheet this player, neither side would factor that into the thinking. Instead, Tomasino was just holding out for a 1-way deal.

Before trading Cody Glass, the Preds were really tight on the Cap, well actually they still are and will have to run a 22-man roster. So I imagine Trotz's price for giving up the 2-way contract was to make a 1-way offer at the league minimum $775k.

Where they end up here is in the middle... $50k below the NHL salary of his QO, but $50k above the league minimum salary that the Preds were probably seeking as the price of making it 1-way.

To me, it seems like a bit of an unnecessary delay over $50k for either side... although getting it 1-way in Tomasino's case is great, because it avoids any faint risk of him ending up on an AHL salary again... which probably wouldn't have happened anyway, because he would have been claimed on waivers if the Preds had tried to send him down (which would have been great for his career actually)... but then at the same time if he happened to struggle on his new team and they in turn tried to send him down... he could have been stuck at the AHL salary again. So locking in the 1-way deal was key for Tomasino's side. I'm just surprised they wouldn't have taken the $775k a little sooner - like Parssinen did. Parssinen is a better player, and his deal is likely the same one that sat on the table all this time for Tomasino too. :dunno:

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don’t know which move will come back in time to make the Preds look worse.

Askarov lighting it up with the sharks while we end up buying out Saros deal in 4-5 years
Or
Tomasino becoming the next tolvanen (but better I think) because we would rather have guys like smith and mccarron in the lineup…

I guess time will tell. But the way toma is being treated here, he should want out of this organization. He will excel elsewhere.
It’s funny because him and Evangelista almost have same ppg in nhl lol

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad