Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] D Brady Skjei signs with the Predators (7 years, $7M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Feels a little odd that Skjei got more than Slavin (but home town discounts) and Pesce, how do these 3 compare? I thought, mostly from reading, that Skjei was the "less good" of the 3 (although all 3 seems really solid)

I hadn't realized how much cap flexibility Nashville had. How cheap was the roster they iced on during the playoffs?

And from which cap penalties/buyouts? I don't recall major buyouts ala Minnesota with Suter and Parise.
Slavin will be 31 when the contract starts. It goes 8 years, that's why his deal looks less. He also wanted to stay and took less, and Nashville is paying to bring a player in. I don't think he's going to be playing that entire contract out. In the end it's slightly more money. I don't think it's that odd when you consider term and extension vs new team.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Trotz is doing a really good job improving this team. Skjei takes pressure off of Josi's shoulders and can eat up minutes on the 2nd pair.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Feels a little odd that Skjei got more than Slavin (but home town discounts) and Pesce, how do these 3 compare? I thought, mostly from reading, that Skjei was the "less good" of the 3 (although all 3 seems really solid)

I hadn't realized how much cap flexibility Nashville had. How cheap was the roster they iced on during the playoffs?

And from which cap penalties/buyouts? I don't recall major buyouts ala Minnesota with Suter and Parise.
Skjei has a lot more offense to his game, and is more of a two way guy. Slavin makes nice outlet passes when he can, but has become more of a chip it out guy. Joins the play every now and then. Skjei has become a good shooter, skates the puck out, makes nice passes, somehow had multiple breakaway chances this year. He’s a threat to score 20 goals and should be expected to get 12+. Offense pays more than really good defense. Slavin is also older and the deal doesn’t start till he’s 31 for 8 years and Skjei is 29 and it’s for 7.

I honestly don’t think Slavin is that discounted. He may have just had a rough year with some injuries but his skating hasn’t been as good the last two years. If it isn’t injuries he may have started his decline, Skjei has really started hitting his stride the last year or two. So you’re buying prime Skjei years and all of Slavins may be on his way down. I think the contracts are appropriate, and it will be interesting to compare and contrast four or five years from now.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Skjei has played for years in the shadows in Carolina on a very deep blueline. Now he's a #2 in Nashville. Will see how he does with the higher ice time and expectations.

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
Skjei has played for years in the shadows in Carolina on a very deep blueline. Now he's a #2 in Nashville. Will see how he does with the higher ice time and expectations.
He averaged almost exactly the same ice time as the guy he's replacing (McDonagh) over the past 2 years. He also averaged the most EV TOI per game in Carolina last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad