Proposal: NSH/CAR: Everybody's Talking Marner to Nashville, but...

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Necas is a RFA, so this is a horrendous trade for Carolina. I can easily see why Nashville would do it, but this isn't remotely close to what the Canes would get back if we traded them both in a package.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Then as a Preds fan I would be asking what else is Carolina adding to the deal.

Totally fair and I think in general the basis for a trade here just doesn't make a lot of sense. McD and Orlov were pretty comparable last year. Maybe you could argue McD was slightly better last year and makes a little less... but he also has an extra year on his deal so probably fair to say they are quite close.

Why then would the Preds trade him away for a minimal return just to fill that cap space up with Orlov?

I get them wanting Necas, and I get Carolina wanting to have cap flexibility but Orlov and Necas for a very low 1st makes no sense at all as a starting point.

Canes have wanted Forsberg forever and with good reason but there's no reason for Nashville to trade him. He's a premier power forward in the league signed long term and is one of the pillars of the franchise.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
lol its okay. its a real bad proposal. was then and still is.

i dont see a lot of agreement here either
Yeah, Carolina fans definitely seem to hate it.

Which is weird, as a team with more big name FAs than they have the cap to retain them with. Figured the potential of clearing $7.75M in cap on a defenseman who was a distant fifth among their defense in TOI was appealing, but I apparently didn't factor in them actually wanting to let Skjei go. :thumbu:

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

Which is weird, as a team with more big name FAs than they have the cap to retain them with. Figured the potential of clearing $7.75M in cap on a defenseman who was a distant fifth among their defense in TOI was appealing, but I apparently didn't factor in them actually wanting to let Skjei go. :thumbu:

Why would they sign Skjei to a 7 year deal? That would be a rough crippling contract down the line I feel.

It was a terrible offer. Orlov was signed to the type of contract he was for this reasoning like it’s been stated before.

If Skjei prices himself out of the range, why would they want to trade Orlov for nothing?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

we hate it because the rationale is quite flawed.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington

This is why they signed Orlov to a 2 year high dollar deal though? Because this offseason and next offseason their entire defense is on expiring contracts.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Because they don't agree with you right?

Just to be clear, I appreciate your passive admission that it wasn't overwhelming disapproval in that thread, as you initially implied.
This may come as a shock, but one fanbase saying "I love it!" and the other fanbase saying "I hate it" is not a "mixed response" or indicative that you've got something thought-provoking going. It's indicative that you're ripping off one of the teams involved. Which you are.

And before you go on about how it's all the Carolina fans going after you boo hoo et cetera - I'm a Jackets and Preds fan. I joked that I "like it" because my team is the one doing the ripping off. It's still bad.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Orlov was 5th in TOI because Slavin - Burns is a thing and Skjei - Pesce is a thing. Orlov and Chatfield were both better than Pesce this year so just using a TOI argument isn't really the way to go here.

We don't want to let Skjei go but he is going to make a lot of money on a long term deal and at 30 years old that's not really a direction the Canes want to go.

Burns comes off the books after this season or re-signs at a much lower amount in a limited role or retires.

Orlov comes off the books after this season as well and same situation as Burns. He can sign for less or go elsewhere.

Of the 'Big' Defencemen in Carolina, Slavin is the one getting the longterm legacy contract.

Chatfield can be a top 4 guy if needed and we might see Carolina sign him to a longer deal at a relatively modest amount in order to provide some consistency/stability in the bottom 3 of the defence. He's 'only 28' and has a lot less miles on him than Skjei or Pesce.

Nikishin is coming. Morrow is coming. We don't need to try and re-sign all of these 30 year old defensemen at big numbers. At a certain point you need to turn over part of the roster and re-allocate funds elsewhere. Canes have spent a lot of money on defense over the years and that has worked well in the regular season but it would wreck the rest of the team to re-sign all of these guys and we need to focus on offense.

Hopefully Pyotr can really take the reigns in net and become a top 10 goalie and we will have some long term stability in net at a decent price point.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
If Nashville called Carolina with this offer, Waddell would probably never bother talking to them ever again.

This might be one of the worst, most nonsensical proposals I’ve ever seen involving the canes.
Hey... I seen worse... Lots worse.. especially in the dark days post 2009..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad