Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] D Brady Skjei signs with the Predators (7 years, $7M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Nashville having that classic "We won free agency" moment that typically turns into cap hell 15 months down the road.

At least they have some star power with Stammer that I am sure their fan base will love.
We're eating $19M in cap penalties/buyouts over this and next season, which will nicely blunt any potential cap hell.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Feels a little odd that Skjei got more than Slavin (but home town discounts) and Pesce, how do these 3 compare? I thought, mostly from reading, that Skjei was the "less good" of the 3 (although all 3 seems really solid)

We're eating $19M in cap penalties/buyouts over this and next season, which will nicely blunt any potential cap hell.

I hadn't realized how much cap flexibility Nashville had. How cheap was the roster they iced on during the playoffs?

And from which cap penalties/buyouts? I don't recall major buyouts ala Minnesota with Suter and Parise.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Feels a little odd that Skjei got more than Slavin (but home town discounts) and Pesce, how do these 3 compare? I thought, mostly from reading, that Skjei was the "less good" of the 3 (although all 3 seems really solid)

I hadn't realized how much cap flexibility Nashville had. How cheap was the roster they iced on during the playoffs?

And from which cap penalties/buyouts? I don't recall major buyouts ala Minnesota with Suter and Parise.
Retaining 4 million on ryan Johansen which drops off after next season
250,000 in retention on ekholm for 2 more seasons

Bought out duchene and turris
Turris has a flat 2 million caphit through end of 27-28
Duchene's buyout is 5.5 million this season and 6.5 million next season before dropping down to 1.5 million through 28-29

So 3 million less dead cap after this upcoming season then an additional 5 million in 26-27 plus rising cap and saros being the only real pending ufa thatll get a big deal.

Sissons, Lauzon, Schenn, Smith, McCarron, jankowski all have internal candidates to replace em by the time they expire or can be replaced cheaply through ufa.

Nyquist can be replaced by Evangelista moving up or now with Marchessault.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It wasn't cheap. They had McDonagh ($6.75M), Barrie ($4.5M), Zucker ($5.3M) and Beauvillier ($4.15M) on the roster and have moved on from all four, so that's $20.7M that they freed up and just spent on Stamkos, Skjei and Marchessault ($20.5M total).

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Slavin is the best defensively by far and also chips in a good amount of EV points despite not being on offensive guy. He took a serious hometown discount.

Skjei is just very good all around. Excellent skater, very good shot, strong defensively. Hes well above Pesce at this point but plays a different game. He is a 2/3.

Pesce is a physical defense first guy. He’s not a great skater and doesn’t being anything on offense or much in the way of transition game. He’s a board play:net front guy with a lot of heavy miles on him. First half of the contract for him should be OK. Last half could be rough.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
When Skjei arrived on the Canes he had a serious case of the yips, no confidence and didn’t seem to know how to play inside a system. They stapled him to Pesce who helped turn him around. It’s very similar to the effect Slavin has had on Hamilton/TDA/Burns. Skjei is now a pretty steady defender who’s aided immensely by his high end skating. He can get back to clean up his mistakes, and he’s fast enough to catch up to everyone else’s too. He figured out how to hit over the glove by taking an extra second to step inside an extra couple of feet and he shoots there almost every time now. It started going in two seasons ago so now he’s a solid scorer off of faceoffs and occasional wrist shots from the point. No real slap shot. I still don’t think he has the offensive mind or poise to be higher end pp guy, but he’s functional as a second unit pp guy.

He’s very much hitting his stride right now, he’s in his prime. This is a good move that way, and because he’s hitting it a little late I think it may be a bit Josi like and will last well into his 30’s. I think this contract has just as much a chance to age as well as Slavins, if not more. I think it’s a good move and as prices go up every year this won’t be expensive for long. The Canes found good deals on replacements, but they absolutely downgraded their defense in the process. Skjei was an excellent acquisition for the Canes, I don’t know how many times I’ve seen a first rounder traded where it worked out better. While Nashville paid for him, I think it’s a fair price and they’ll get good value out of it. He’ll be missed. A big part of what made the Canes special the last few years was the Skjei/Pesce pairing. It was an unfair level of good d for a second pair, and was at times probably our first pair. We’re no longer competing for the best D group in the league, but it was a lot of fun to watch while it lasted.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Slavin is the best defensively by far and also chips in a good amount of EV points despite not being on offensive guy. He took a serious hometown discount.

Skjei is just very good all around. Excellent skater, very good shot, strong defensively. Hes well above Pesce at this point but plays a different game. He is a 2/3.

Pesce is a physical defense first guy. He’s not a great skater and doesn’t being anything on offense or much in the way of transition game. He’s a board play:net front guy with a lot of heavy miles on him. First half of the contract for him should be OK. Last half could be rough.

Wow thanks for the writeup. Sounds like a great add for Nashville, I'm sure they like having someone more solid behind Josi too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad