Notable games you've attended live?

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
When the Hawks came back in Game 6 and lifted the cup in Boston. (Die hard Bruins fan, that was a tough one)

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I attended a random Leafs/Panthers game in 2015. The Leafs were faltering down the stretch and for a change, they weren't selling out every game. It was easy to get tickets (usually it's much harder), so I went for the hell of it.

The game was meh and FLA won 4-1, but Sam Carrick scored his first NHL goal (and maybe the only one he'll ever score) on a beautiful feed from Morgan Rielly.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Cool Story Bro

I was always drawn to hockey, as one of my 3 fav video games to play in my nursery school years were Super Mario 3, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, and Ice Hockey. Mighty Ducks came out and pretty much all I wanted to do was play and watch hockey. My first hockey game was in 92 Army vs Navy at Tate Rink in West Point.

My very first NHL game was on April 8, 1994, my 8th birthday which was almost ruined because of the Kurt Cobain news, and the Rangers received the President's Trophy that night. Kovy scored for me and all!

I was very lucky to say I went to my 2nd game a couple weeks later

Over the next number of years I was lucky a few more times to see the Gretzky/Messier line-up most games they played at MSG that year, especially this one:

The night I became a complete and utter fan boi in love love love with the guy I claimed was best goalie I ever saw a month earlier. I was sitting in the front row of the blueseats right above Kolzig that night:

Moved to FL in 06 , and this was when I started to catch on to the Panthers consistent relationship with the refs, I won't

Biggest goal in team history and the loudest I have ever heard any stadium crowd.

How many years later, all the while holding my word on the King being the best goalie I ever saw, and many laughing in my face, turns out he would move into the top 10 all time wins leaders at the rink 18 mins up the road from my house. You can see me(Frolunda Indians jersey) at the 3:57 mark above the BB&T logo coming to the glass with my hands raised, can't help but feel like that was a more than coincidental reward from the universe for me to be there for that moment :D

Man I love this ****in game.

Last edited:

myzteriouz

Dec 4, 2011
I have only attended 1 NHL game so nothing notable, but that 1 game did manage to hold one guy's entire NHL career, when Iiro Tarkki played his first, and only NHL game after Hiller was injured in the 1st period. Selänne scored 2 goals and Koivu had 1+2, so from a Finnish stand point I loved the game, Perry had a hattrick so I got to experience the hat tossing, and I got free wings at hooters afterwards thanks to Ducks scoring 5 or more, winning Blue Jackets 7-4 back in 11-12 season...Alltogether a really memorable 1st day in USA for me (my plane landed like 2 hour before the game, me and my friend who lives in OC, drove straight the game from the airport)...Probably one of the best ever 1st days of a vacation for me!:laugh::yo:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was one of about 6 people wearing an Avs jersey in the United Center when Varlamov ended Kane's pointstreak. The friend I was with got a lot of dirty looks sent her way as we walked back to the car after the game :laugh:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Four games stand out.

The first one is not an NHL game, but the 1987 Canada Cup finals in Hamilton - game 2 - double OT win. 5 assists by Gretzky. Lemieux finished with a hat-trick on the OT goal. Still wish I could have managed to get tickets for the final game.

The next two were in Pittsburgh in March of 1993. Pittsburgh beat Washington and then two nights later they beat Philly. It was about 2 weeks after Mario returned from cancer treatment. He had back to back 4 goal games. It was insane.

The most recent one was Feb or March 2016. Edmonton was playing in Buffalo and it was the first McDavid/Eichel head to head. Edmonton won 2-1 in OT, and McDavid scored both of the Oilers goals, but immediately before his OT goal, Eichel had an amazing chance to end the game on an end to end rush. A bit of an emotional roller coaster, and a heart-breaking ending for me, but they both elevated their games and put on an amazing show.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Game 6 of the 06 scf, 1st home game for McDavid vs the blues, last game at rexall vs the canucks, 1st game at rogers watching McDavid score on a penalty shot and demolishing the flames and the 1st playoff game in Edmonton in 10 years. Been very fortunate.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
NHL Venues
  • (approx 600-700 games, maybe more) Northlands Coliseum/Skyreach Center/Rexall Place
  • (approx 20 games) Roger's Place
  • (1 game) LA Forum
  • (1 game) Nassau Coliseum (the one where Hall scored the fastest 2 goals in Oiler history - Oilers still lost)

Games
  • One of the series-of-three 1979 WHA All-star games where Home and Gretzky played together
  • Oiler's first NHL game (I was very young :) )
  • Gretzky's first NHL home game
  • Gretzky 50 in 39.
  • Gretzky tying/breaking Howe's NHL points record with his 1851st.
  • Clinching game of the Oiler's shocking upset of the Canadiens in 1981.
  • Oiler's comeback win against the Stars
  • Gretzky's last NHL game in Edmonton
  • Ryan Smyth's last game
  • Heritage Classic
  • All of the Oiler's player number retirements... except Mess' (don't ask :shakehead)
  • 2006 - game where Paul Lorieau allowed the fans to sing the National Anthem and in the same year when won Game 6 in the Finals to force a Game 7.
  • McDavid's first NHL home game
  • Oiler's final home game at Rexall Place
  • Oiler's first exhibition/regular season/playoff game in Rogers Place

Most notable games: Oiler's first 3 Cups. Missed the 4th one, which of course ended up being Gretzky's last 'official' game in an Oiler's sweater (he did put it on for one more game - Heritage Classic)

...and of course Sam Gagner's historic 8 point night against the Blackhawks! :laugh:

I feel very fortunate to have seen so many of these incredible game live.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Hertl's 4 goal game against NYR.
the "5-on-1.5" PK against Edmonton in the 2006 playoffs
Game 4 of the Vancouver/SJ sweep in the 2013 Playoffs
Every home game of the 2016 Sharks SC Finals run, including the elimination game where Pittsburgh won the Cup.
Ed Belfour's only shutout as a SJ Shark.
Joe Thornton's first home game as a Shark against Washington.
Sharks rout of Columbus 10-2 back in 2002.
2015 Stadium Series game against LA.

Last edited:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I've only been a hockey fan for about 5-6 years now, and I'm a Columbus Blue Jacket fan.. So, there's not too many of my memories that will compare. But, I am a full season ticket holder and go to about 15-20 games a year living 2 hours away, so I am a bit fortunate in my regard.

Notable games for myself-
-Team USA vs Team Canada Exhibition game at Nationwide Arena. I always thought it would be cool to see a national Team USA game.
-Game 3 of the playoff series between the Penguins and the Blue Jackets. Went with my girlfriend and parents. Seen Cam Atkinson score a goal 11 seconds into the game, Zach Werenski taking a puck to the face and returning, seeing us go into overtime. It was a loss, but still cool. Very good atmosphere
-Last game of the regular season for the Blue Jackets in 2013 lockout season. Jackets were one of the worst teams at the beginning of the year, but got HOT with the help of Bobrovsky and managed to somehow work themselves in the playoff race. Went to the game after graduating college that day. Jackets won, but missed the playoffs. After that season, I became a huge CBJ and hockey fan.
-I have witnessed a Dalton Prout vs Lucic fight.
- Been to several overtime game wins which are obviously exciting.
-I don't remember too many games in 2011-2012, but the ones I attended had A LOT of fights in them with how bad of a team the jackets were.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I'm amazed nobody's said this yet. I was at "Fight Night" in '04 as the Flyers beat Ottawa on the scoreboard and in most of the fights, too, and there were many. I was also at Game 4 against Boston in 2010, how could we have known what was about to start that night? Unfortunately I was at the 2012 Winter Classic, too.

Arenas I've been to: Wells Fargo Center, Citizens Bank Park, Continental Airlines Arena, Prudential Center, Nassau Coliseum, Verizon Center(now Capital One Center), Joe Louis Arena

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
02 playoffs, Leafs-Sens game 2, Gary Roberts scores in triple OT

Games 3 and 4 of the Leafs sweep of the Sens in 2001. Game 3 was the Cory Cross OT winner, most likely the only one of his career.

The last Leafs-Habs game in the old Forum, Pierre Turgeon scored in the third with 0.5 on the clock to win it. We got tanked on Crescent St. after the game.

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Watched Ontario A u16 beat usa for gold a few years ago in Winnipeg

Speedo

Mar 14, 2005
Bobby Orr in 75-76 in the Gawwwden.
Lanny McDonald goal #500 vs Isles at Saddledome.
Gretzky breaking Howe's points record as a King in '89 at Rexall.
Stephan empty miss and Hemsky return to score with under 5 seconds Togo.
Rick Monday's home run to break my heart.
And a few others but it's late.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I just happened to be in Ottawa in 97 where I scored a ticket by chatting to a hockey player's cousin where she worked at the National Coin Museum. Turned out to be a memorable game.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I've been to three:

Game 3 of this years playoffs vs Washington - Just absolutely crazy game and atmosphere. Almost went to game 4 instead, but holy **** was I lucky.

First outdoor game vs Detroit in the big house - Craziest atmosphere I've ever been to. Literally 50,000 people chanting "Go Leafs Go", and 50,000 people chanting "Let's go Wings" simultaneously all game.

Second outdoor game vs Detroit at BMO - Great atmosphere, but really it was the comeback by the wings and Matthews HUGE OT goal. Holy **** did that stadium just absolutely explode.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
First outdoor game vs Detroit in the big house - Craziest atmosphere I've ever been to. Literally 50,000 people chanting "Go Leafs Go", and 50,000 people chanting "Let's go Wings" simultaneously all game.

I forgot to mention but I went to that one too. Not only what you mentioned, but it was also during a BLIZZARD! We missed over half the 1st period because we got held up in the concourse thanks to all the iced-over stairs. The traffic from the storm killed all the extra time we allotted for in our trip, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad