Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 76 39.4%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
MM is getting slower. When I said so in the preseason his super fans jumped on me. Its really apparent and you're probably right about him never hitting 35 again.
Kyle Conner scored two goals in game #1 vs Colorado and I said he ends up with more goals than MItch in these playoffs. Like taking candy from a baby. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He made Steen play a lesser role because he was older and they had other guys capable of playing more impactful minutes.

You can criticize Marner all you want, but the regular season is his jam. Obviously time will tell, and a lot will depend on who they target in free agency, but if the expectation is that they spend their cap on the blueline and in goal, then that's going to leave you pretty thin up front (again).

I just don't see any scenario where Marner isn't playing a prominent role next season. To expect otherwise is a pipe dream.
If Tre works out a good deal for the team and Mitch refuses to waive, they would be morons to play him on PP1. Our PP sucks in the playoffs and much of that falls on the guy who controls the puck most of the time. Do you remember when Mitch had not scored a PP in like 100 games?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
MM is getting slower. When I said so in the preseason his super fans jumped on me. Its really apparent and you're probably right about him never hitting 35 again.
Lol I said that Marner doesn't really work much in the offseason and they lost their mind over it.

You weren't wrong at all. What visible improvements has he made since signing his massive contract? He's literally the same player he is today as he was in 18/19, only he's getting higher point totals (slightly, not even by much) being glued to Matthews.

Against the Bruins he was legitimately one of the slower guys on the ice.

A guy like Connor McDavid has worked on his shot to the point where it's almost elite now. Is it so out of line to expect similar improvements from Marner?

I’m 70 yrs old and just have to let this childish stuff go. I’m all for improving the team and all but this marner talk is just childish
I think dismissing other's opinions that don't agree with yours cause the "Toronto media done brainwashed them!" is about the most childish stuff I've ever read on here, but do go on :laugh:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
So I guess a 1 mil player only needs to put in 1/10 of the effort Marner puts in?

And how do you know Marner isn’t putting an effort in? Because he doesn’t meet your expectations on a few shifts?

so the rest of the team put in effort but Marner didn’t?

TO mediots have brainwashed a lot of you
I have eyes and watched the games and have watched some some of the series since and Marner doesn’t hold a candle to the intensity of most of the players still playing

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Let's just take a step back.

Pelley has insisted that his mandate when hired was "winning", period.
Pelley is good at PR, he knows what he needs to say. But without actually being in the room I can say with absolute confidence that was B.S.

The evidence: Last summer the "win is the only priority" MLSE board brought back everyone and that would have included Dubas as he was offered an extension but ultimately left for Pittsburgh.

Treliving's first priorities when he was hired were not "to win" but to extend Matthews & Nylander asap. Translated to sign them now, before this year's playoffs, which means their performance & the teams was irrelevant to whether they would be re-signed and/or the deal they would be offered. In other words, roll it back.

Pelley was then hired during the season and despite yet another first-round loss he's running it back, all except for Keefe, the coach - the easiest sacrifice any team can make to appease the raging masses.

Don't buy it, people. This is the same MLSE. The same team. They are going it run back yet again. And that means the quiet priority for Treliving right now is to get Marner extended. To think otherwise is to just ignore the history of this franchise under it's current ownership.

Of course Mitch has a say in this and he could decide to play this out and test free agency. And if that's the path then 100% he will be a Maple Leaf all year, be considered an own rental and perhaps walk next July if Treliving doesn't throw enough cash money at him. But you can be absolutely sure Brad's mandate is to get him extended, period.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Let's just take a step back.

Pelley has insisted that his mandate when hired was "winning", period.
Pelley is good at PR, he knows what he needs to say. But without actually being in the room I can say with absolute confidence that was B.S.

The evidence: Last summer the "win is the only priority" MLSE board brought back everyone and that would have included Dubas as he was offered an extension but ultimately left for Pittsburgh.

Treliving's first priorities when he was hired were not "to win" but to extend Matthews & Nylander asap. Translated to sign them now, before this year's playoffs, which means their performance & the teams was irrelevant to whether they would be re-signed and/or the deal they would be offered. In other words, roll it back.

Pelley was then hired during the season and despite yet another first-round loss he's running it back, all except for Keefe, the coach - the easiest sacrifice any team can make to appease the raging masses.

Don't buy it, people. This is the same MLSE. The same team. They are going it run back yet again. And that means the quiet priority for Treliving right now is to get Marner extended. To think otherwise is to just ignore the history of this franchise under it's current ownership.

Of course Mitch has a say in this and he could decide to play this out and test free agency. And if that's the path then 100% he will be a Maple Leaf all year, be considered an own rental and perhaps walk next July if Treliving doesn't throw enough cash money at him. But you can be absolutely sure Brad's mandate is to get him extended, period.
Cool story Bro.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
See that’s all yall have when facts are presented. “Shit the numbers ain’t lying, gotta throw a dumb personal shot, media shot to stay relevant”
Watching the games and their playoff record is all we need to see. 1 series win in 8 years with some of the highest paid players in the league is pathetic.
I don’t pick one single stat and hold it up as Marners awesomeness. That stat would have more meaning if we compared Marner and Kessel’s goals that had an impact not just ones piling on in a blow out.
However if you and ACC1224 want to think things are great and keeping Marner and the gang together that’s fine. We all have an opinion

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Watching the games and their playoff record is all we need to see. 1 series win in 8 years with some of the highest paid players in the league is pathetic.
I don’t pick one single stat and hold it up as Marners awesomeness. That stat would have more meaning if we compared Marner and Kessel’s goals that had an impact not just ones piling on in a blow out.
However if you and ACC1224 want to think things are great and keeping Marner and the gang together that’s fine. We all have an opinion

Here we go again, you have to keep moving goal posts to fit your narrative. Now the type of goals matter, a goal is a fcking goal. Doesn’t matter how or when it’s scored.

1 playoff round

There is the stat.

Yup, we are talking about regular season goal scoring and all of a sudden playoff wins is brought in, typical haha

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
My point is Kessel is the better goal scorer. Marner may never hit 35 goals again. He'll never get close to the 400+ goals Phil scored.

LOL, Marner already has almost half the goals Kessel does in half the amount of games. Marner will hit 400 goals if he keeps up his current scoring pace. Kessel had five 30 goal seasons. Marner already has 2. Marner currently has 194 goals in 576 games. If Marner plays another 500+ games he could get to 400. Not that far fetched. He had 26 in 69 this year and probably would have had another 30 goal season if not for injury

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Lol I said that Marner doesn't really work much in the offseason and they lost their mind over it.

You weren't wrong at all. What visible improvements has he made since signing his massive contract? He's literally the same player he is today as he was in 18/19, only he's getting higher point totals (slightly, not even by much) being glued to Matthews.

A guy like Connor McDavid has worked on his shot to the point where it's almost elite now. Is it so out of line to expect similar improvements from Marner?

I think dismissing other's opinions that don't agree with yours cause the "Toronto media done brainwashed them!" is about the most childish stuff I've ever read on here, but do go on :laugh:
Yeah right....

Keep on crying a river over Marner's contract he has total control over. I dont care about another persons money....especially athletes.....who make owners billions.

If a opinion is childish.....it is. Time to grow up IMHO instead of constantly whining about this supposed lack of effort and Marner's contract. Players owe you or fans nothing. They devote alot of time to sick kids...etc....do alot of charity work.....but to deem a player lazy or not putting enough effort because a blowhard from the media says so ....doesnt make it gospel.

Picking a scapegoat is always childish.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I have eyes and watched the games and have watched some some of the series since and Marner doesn’t hold a candle to the intensity of most of the players still playing

Because you dont see a growl? or a cheap shot in front of the net? A crosscheck to the face? Is that intensity? I used to work with guys like that.....yelll......get dirty....pretend they are working ....etc and at the end of the day.....they accomplished nothing....but they sure looked the part.

But keep on judging someone's heart for the game by the way they look

Darcy Tucker made himself a icon in TO doing the exact same thing and he was average player and won squat. Yet players like Sundin get bashed back in the day because he didnt use his size to put players thru the boards.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Here we go again, you have to keep moving goal posts to fit your narrative. Now the type of goals matter, a goal is a fcking goal. Doesn’t matter how or when it’s scored.

Yup, we are talking about regular season goal scoring and all of a sudden playoff wins is brought in, typical haha
Opps my bad, I thought everything centred around the playoff failure

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Kief Richards

Nov 19, 2009
Keene, Ontario
Nothing against Marner, but I think the writing was on the wall when both Nylander and Mathews were extended with big cap hits. Lack of this year's playoff success again should make for some major changes. I also think Marner was overplayed at times, even when his game was off. Just my 2 cents.....

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Because you dont see a growl? or a cheap shot in front of the net? A crosscheck to the face? Is that intensity? I used to work with guys like that.....yelll......get dirty....pretend they are working ....etc and at the end of the day.....they accomplished nothing....but they sure looked the part.

But keep on judging someone's heart for the game by the way they look

Darcy Tucker made himself an icon in TO doing the exact same thing and he was average player and won squat. Yet players like Sundin get bashed back in the day because he didnt use his size to put players thru the boards.
And I bet you told those kids to get off your lawn

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
LOL, Marner already has almost half the goals Kessel does in half the amount of games. Marner will hit 400 goals if he keeps up his current scoring pace. Kessel had five 30 goal seasons. Marner already has 2. Marner currently has 194 goals in 576 games. If Marner plays another 500+ games he could get to 400. Not that far fetched. He had 26 in 69 this year and probably would have had another 30 goal season if not for injury
Agreed, he could score 400+ goals but if I were to bet I'd say his norm will be between 25-30. He needs 7 30 goal seasons to catch Phil. Whether he does or doesn't catch Phil, I still consider Phil the better pure goal scorer. If Phil was closer to MacKinnon than Nylander when it comes to intensity, he would have scored closer to 500. Too many hotdogs.

Reactions: francis246

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If a opinion is childish.....it is. Time to grow up IMHO instead of constantly whining about this supposed lack of effort and Marner's contract. Players owe you or fans nothing. They devote alot of time to sick kids...etc....do alot of charity work.....but to deem a player lazy or not putting enough effort because a blowhard from the media says so ....doesnt make it gospel.
@57 Years No Cup wow you really were dead bang on here :laugh:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Tre works out a good deal for the team and Mitch refuses to waive, they would be morons to play him on PP1. Our PP sucks in the playoffs and much of that falls on the guy who controls the puck most of the time. Do you remember when Mitch had not scored a PP in like 100

Who dies marner play with? Who did Kessel play with? Therein lies the answer………

Yeah right....

Keep on crying a river over Marner's contract he has total control over. I dont care about another persons money....especially athletes.....who make owners billions.

Picking a scapegoat is always childish.
Don’t forget cameo’s in the Nut cracker………

Opps my bad, I thought everything centred around the playoff failure
Not if your goal is the President’s Trophy……..

Reactions: ToneDog

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Just sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Kessel played with Marc Savard and Evgeni Malkin in his career and had good success with Bozak

Matthews isn’t exactly a set up man. Most of Marner’s goals come off the rush or chances he creates. There have been some tap ins Matthews has set up or some really creative plays but it’s not like Matthews was directly creating goals for Marner. Marner’s 35 and 30 goal seasons came after he spent an off-season working on his shot and he was shooting way more. He definitely has more 30 goal seasons in him if he shoots more.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Just sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Kessel played with Marc Savard and Evgeni Malkin in his career and had good success with Bozak

Matthews isn’t exactly a set up man. Most of Marner’s goals come off the rush or chances he creates. There have been some tap ins Matthews has set up or some really creative plays but it’s not like Matthews was directly creating goals for Marner. Marner’s 35 and 30 goal seasons came after he spent an off-season working on his shot and he was shooting way more. He definitely has more 30 goal seasons in him if he shoots more.

A lot of goal scoring has to do with open space.

You get way more open space playing with Matthews than you do with Bozak. I think you're on the right track with the stats you've pointed out, but from a pure eye test perspective Kessel is undoubtedly a better goal scorer than Marner and there's really no debate, atleast in my opinion.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Tell that to the Marnerites who whine about JT holding back Marner or Nylander, both of who should be able to drive their own lines…….

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Tell that to the Marnerites who whine about JT holding back Marner or Nylander, both of who should be able to drive their own lines…….

I don’t know if anyone holds anyone back on the leafs. I think they play a completely different style of hockey now. When they played under Babcock it was very North/south hockey. Lots of bumper plays, getting to the net.

Under Keefe it was more perimeter, touch passes. I do think if they get back to North South and add defenseman who can make a first pass, I’d be okay with giving this group another year. ONLY if there is no reasonable Marner trade.

I say that because 2025 was always going to be a reset year anyways. So we can walk away from Marner and Tavares. So whether it’s this year or next change is coming

Reactions: Da Mash and Metroid

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I think they're gonna run it back.

At first I thought a trade was inevitable. But now I think changing the coaching staff was the "big" move this offseason. Same as how getting rid of Dubas was the big move last year.

They'll save the make a major trade bullet for next year.

Can't shake everything up at once. Might take another step back. Which would mean missing the playoffs.

If that happens everyone would be gone.

Including the most polarizing player I've ever seen play for the Leafs. I can't wait until he's finally off the team. Of course I said the same thing about Nylander last year and they gave him an eight year deal.

Which is why I fully expect to see Marner on the team again next year too.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think they're gonna run it back.

At first I thought a trade was inevitable. But now I think changing the coaching staff was the "big" move this offseason. Same as how getting rid of Dubas was the big move last year.

They'll save the make a major trade bullet for next year.

Can't shake everything up at once. Might take another step back. Which would mean missing the playoffs.

If that happens everyone would be gone.

Including the most polarizing player I've ever seen play for the Leafs. I can't wait until he's finally off the team. Of course I said the same thing about Nylander last year and they gave him an eight year deal.

I fully expect to see Marner on the team again next year too.

I just think trading Marner is something too big for their plate right now.

The focus is definitely on how to spend the 22 million we have this season.

I also think they would rather move Tavares or Rielly before moving Marner. 2025 100% seems like the year they will revamp the roster entirely.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

he just becam the best 2 way winger in the entire NHL

Amount all player for me the 2 player who will benefit the most of coach changing, it's Marner and Robertson.

With a player like marner, if you want to see him having succes in playoff... you need to create hole in opposite D, its how marner can hurt you. he's not enough strong to be a physical presence in front of the net and win his battle or good shot to take long distance shot. When he have space, Marner is one of most dangerous player in NHL. How you create space in playoff, forcing opponent to make mistake and caught them out of position

Reactions: Da Mash

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Tru and as much as that would be a stepping stone but the big trophy is where we wanna be……..am I right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad