Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 76 39.4%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Matner isn’t the only problem child the Leafs need to deal with, he’s just the one up to bat, JT’s on deck and 34 and 88 are in the hole. By the start of next season two of the four will be gone imo, and then we’ll see if others need to go too, each journey begins with a single step and Marner’s step one of the journey………

That’s not the worst scenario, him staying and being resigned is the worst scenario imo……

Agreed, I think it sucks but the leafs didn’t take into account personality type or character when drafting the players. Then we ended up getting rid of the supporting cast that has those qualities. That will happen from time to time. Just sucks it happened to us

myleafs

May 25, 2021
You have no idea if he is interested...or how much work he puts in. All you do is look at your TV and assume someone is dogging....or scared...etc.

They said the same thing about Kessel and he went on to win a few cups and could of been MVP a few times.

But I bet you were one of those fans that thought....make a hit Phil....you hot dog eating lazy bum....

If you think moving on from Marner and using his resources to get different types of players.....I have no issue.

But complaining because Athletes make too much money and they should do what you expect them to do is all hogwash. Professional althletes put in alot of work. Marner is never shy about how much he loves it hear and how much he wants to win. He just doesnt play the style you like......oh well......get over it ....he owes you nothing.....

I mentioned Children because your type of thinking is childish.....sorry
First I dont get why your taking my opinion so seriously...like chill out dude.

Kessel was not a top 5 paid player in the league. He was also a complimentary piece on the pens and didnt even play during vegas's cup run.

I liked Kessel btw so instead of just making shit up about how i feel you can just ask and Ill tell you. Kessel was expected to be the go to guy on the leafs and he isnt that guy....same as Marner imo. If Marner was on the 3rd line in Pittsburg making half what he does now and was the 4-7th best player on that pens team, then Im sure he would have had success with Crosby and Malkin leading the way. Problem is he is supposed to be our Malkin and help lead the way.

Kessel helped the pens but he wasnt expected to be the man and lead the team. And for all of Kessels not going into the corners etc which I was not a big fan of, he would at least get nasty once in a while when confronted. He had some spine.

I never complained about athletes making too much money....where are you getting that idea and why are you just making crap up? You stated that just because Marner signed that big contract, he doesnt owe anything to anyone which I disagree with. A contract is a mutual understanding that one is being paid to provide a service after all. I don't feel like he has fulfilled his end of the bargain and I am fine if you feel differently....it doesnt bother me one little bit.

As a side note I do think he is a good player and has some skills but not what this team needs positionally and culture wise and the resources used on him should be used elsewhere.

It is interesting to me that you feel the need to call me names as a response to my personal opinions about a topic we are all discussing in here. I mean if thats all you got...have at it. ...you calling me childish is the pot calling the kettle black but maybe they dont have a thing called irony in that ivory tower you reside in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabriel426

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He just doesnt play the style you like
The new coach and GM don’t want him.

The fans don’t want him.

He’s a cool bro but change is needed.

Tre picked Nylander ….. over. marner.

Picked.

Time to name some teams Mitch unless you like pp2 and third line

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021
How do you know Marner was trying his hardest. Because he didnt fight? or crosscheck someone to the face? Lay a big hit on a 220 lbs defencman ? Kessel wasnt that player and he won cups? Did he try harder in Pitt? Or did he do his thing that he does best and helped Pitt win the cup?

All this trashing of Marner is pretty pathetic in all honesty ....but I exptect no less..... TO media has brainwashed alot of fans
condescending much? Yea nobody here can think for themselves....jesus. What is it with people who just can't handle others opinions on things so feel the need to take a personal shot. Weak sauce.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
First I dont get why your taking my opinion so seriously...like chill out dude.

Kessel was not a top 5 paid player in the league. He was also a complimentary piece on the pens and didnt even play during vegas's cup run.

I liked Kessel btw so instead of just making shit up about how i feel you can just ask and Ill tell you. Kessel was expected to be the go to guy on the leafs and he isnt that guy....same as Marner imo. If Marner was on the 3rd line in Pittsburg making half what he does now and was the 4-7th best player on that pens team, then Im sure he would have had success with Crosby and Malkin leading the way. Problem is he is supposed to be our Malkin and help lead the way.

Kessel helped the pens but he wasnt expected to be the man and lead the team. And for all of Kessels not going into the corners etc which I was not a big fan of, he would at least get nasty once in a while when confronted. He had some spine.

I never complained about athletes making too much money....where are you getting that idea and why are you just making crap up? You stated that just because Marner signed that big contract, he doesnt owe anything to anyone which I disagree with. A contract is a mutual understanding that one is being paid to provide a service after all. I don't feel like he has fulfilled his end of the bargain and I am fine if you feel differently....it doesnt bother me one little bit.

As a side note I do think he is a good player and has some skills but not what this team needs positionally and culture wise and the resources used on him should be used elsewhere.

It is interesting to me that you feel the need to call me names as a response to my personal opinions about a topic we are all discussing in here. I mean if thats all you got...have at it. ...you calling me childish is the pot calling the kettle black but maybe they dont have a thing called irony in that ivory tower you reside in.
He exhibits classic 'influencer" behaviour. Attribute something to you that you never said, then attempt to use shaming language and an "appeal to authority" argument (aka you have no idea what a professional athlete has to go thru so HOW DARE YOU).

Another poster best ignored. Once you know what to look for, they're easy to spot.

condescending much? Yea nobody here can think for themselves....jesus. What is it with people who just can't handle others opinions on things so feel the need to take a personal shot. Weak sauce.
He gets paid for it, bro. Ignore him.

Reactions: myleafs

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
These chicken shits don't have the balls to rightfully move on, as they should have years ago.

Went with him walking

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Are we Children here? Take a hit? etc.
They paid him for what he does…not what you think he needs to do.

They offered him a contract and he signed it.

What’s next? when Mathew’s and Nylander contracts come up …you will say the same thing? They owe the leafs something?

That’s all hogwash . Players in their prime owe teams nothing. If Marner wants to come back in his mid 30’s for a hometown discount then it will be all good ?

I understand the frustration etc. But in sports no athlete ever owns fans or ownership squat.

If you want to be bitter about another man’s money fill your boots.
I’m not sure you understand how contracts work. Marner owes them 11 million dollars of effort and contributions or why are they paying him.
Do you think the money is free .
He also owes the fans that ultimately pay his salary his very best effort and results on a regular basis.

Reactions: myleafs

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He exhibits classic 'influencer" behaviour. Attribute something to you that you never said, then attempt to use shaming language and an "appeal to authority" argument (aka you have no idea what a professional athlete has to go thru so HOW DARE YOU).

Another poster best ignored. Once you know what to look for, they're easy to spot.

It really is horribly cringe.

"You don't agree with my opinion cause the TO media brainwashed you" has to be some of the most weak minded shit I've ever read.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Phil Kessel’s career high was 37 goals in a season. Marner’s career high is 35.
Kessel played with Bozak and was the best player on terrible teams but he will be remembered for being the best 40 goal scorer never to score 40 and winning 2 Cups of course.

Just looked at his numbers and now that he is all said and done, his goal numbers look very impressive. Mitch will never match him in goals. It is too bad he never won here and was thin skinned like you know who.

1718707852123.png

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Kessel played with Bozak and was the best player on terrible teams but he will be remembered for being the best 40 goal scorer never to score 40 and winning 2 Cups of course.

Just looked at his numbers and now that he is all said and done, his goal numbers look very impressive. Mitch will never match him in goals. It is too bad he never won here and was thin skinned like you know who.

View attachment 883832
At least Kessel wasn’t making crazy claims in presser’s about being looked at as a God

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
The new coach and GM don’t want him.

The fans don’t want him.

He’s a cool bro but change is needed.

Tre picked Nylander ….. over. marner.

Picked.

Time to name some teams Mitch unless you like pp2 and third line

Is that why Tre hasn’t asked Marner to waive and rumour now is he wants to sign him ?

Where did you ever read or heard that Tre didn’t want him? From the TO media?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

View attachment 883832

Kessel also played with Malkin and on the Pittsburgh power play and never came close to scoring even 35 again and Kessel rarely missed a game in Pittsburgh. Whats your point? It’s not like Kessel never played with good centers. He also played with Marc Savard in Boston

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I’m not sure you understand how contracts work. Marner owes them 11 million dollars of effort and contributions or why are they paying him.
Do you think the money is free .
He also owes the fans that ultimately pay his salary his very best effort and results on a regular basis.

So I guess a 1 mil player only needs to put in 1/10 of the effort Marner puts in?

And how do you know Marner isn’t putting an effort in? Because he doesn’t meet your expectations on a few shifts?

so the rest of the team put in effort but Marner didn’t?

TO mediots have brainwashed a lot of you

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is that why Tre hasn’t asked Marner to waive and rumour now is he wants to sign him ?

Where did you ever read or heard that Tre didn’t want him? From the TO media?
There are a bunch of them that are just continually making stuff up.
Pretty childish, best to ignore the whole lot of them.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
There are a bunch of them that are just continually making stuff up.
Pretty childish, best to ignore the whole lot of them.

I’m 70 yrs old and just have to let this childish stuff go. I’m all for improving the team and all but this marner talk is just childish

But that’s the TO mediots …storing the pot

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Berube will do what’s best for the team not individual stats, he made Steen play a lesser tole because it made the team better, this could happen to marner too………
He made Steen play a lesser role because he was older and they had other guys capable of playing more impactful minutes.

You can criticize Marner all you want, but the regular season is his jam. Obviously time will tell, and a lot will depend on who they target in free agency, but if the expectation is that they spend their cap on the blueline and in goal, then that's going to leave you pretty thin up front (again).

I just don't see any scenario where Marner isn't playing a prominent role next season. To expect otherwise is a pipe dream.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kessel also played with Malkin and on the Pittsburgh power play and never came close to scoring even 35 again and Kessel rarely missed a game in Pittsburgh. Whats your point? It’s not like Kessel never played with good centers. He also played with Marc Savard in Boston
My point is Kessel is the better goal scorer. Marner may never hit 35 goals again. He'll never get close to the 400+ goals Phil scored.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My point is Kessel is the better goal scorer. Marner may never hit 35 goals again. He'll never get close to the 400+ goals Phil scored.

MM is getting slower. When I said so in the preseason his super fans jumped on me. Its really apparent and you're probably right about him never hitting 35 again.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad