Not many teams in the league have a meaner Dcore than us

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Honestly I can't recall having a defense this strong defensively and straight up gritty and mean in a long time. Our D might not be the best all around Dcore around, but Treliving had a vision and has certainly executed it. Walking through

Rielly - We saw he takes no shit several times in his career. I will always remember him beating the hell out of Tampa players and rocking the dual black eyes. And who can forget Grieg last year?

Tanev - One of the most well known warrior type D in the league

McCabe - Another complete warrior

Benoit - You guys score the goals, I'll bang bodies

Haakanpaa - 6 foot 7 guy who arrives to the rink in a bad mood.

The only guys who are not tough are Liljegren and OEL who likely project as our bottom pair, but both provide vital puck moving ability.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Honestly I can't recall having a defense this strong defensively and straight up gritty and mean in a long time. Our D might not be the best all around Dcore around, but Treliving had a vision and has certainly executed it. Walking through

Rielly - We saw he takes no shit several times in his career. I will always remember him beating the hell out of Tampa players and rocking the dual black eyes. And who can forget Grieg last year?

The only guys who are not tough are Liljegren and OEL who likely project as our bottom pair, but both provide vital puck moving ability.
Exactly, I seen previous Leafs defense over the years where was just not good. Defense not to worried about . The forward group and goalies I have some concerns.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Exactly, I seen previous Leafs defense over the years where was just not good. Defense not to worried about . The forward group and goalies I have some concerns.
Agreed, if they can stay healthy…….

Agreed, not sure but I’d guess they might be one of the oldest D in the NHL, hope that doesn’t become a factor…….

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He shouldn't be, considering he was just signed despite having one good knee.

And it's with them where I believe the real improvement with the D will or will not show. People can go on about physicality, but point-point production is where this team needs help.

Reactions: authentic

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That's great and all, but can they move the puck effectively to our forwards is the primary issue we've had regarding our defense these last few years

Tanev/OEL are both solid puckmovers so I'm hoping we've made progress in this regard.
Maybe Berube’s plan us to make ghe forwards more accountable in the defensive zone?

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I don't see all that much mean there. They'll stand their ground physically and throw some hits though, if that's what you meant.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're sleeping on OEL's grittyness. Panthers teammates have said he has a nasty side to him

Also had over a 100 hits last year, which is solid for a 2nd pair defenseman

I don't recall a single instance of gritty play in OEL's two years in Vancouver. And he's just soft as hell in coverage generally speaking.

Reactions: andora

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I don't recall a single instance of gritty play in OEL's two years in Vancouver. And he's just soft as hell in coverage generally speaking.
He was pretty nasty in the playoffs for the panthers. Im also literally quoting his teammates. Sam Bennett himself said he has a nasty side

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was pretty nasty in the playoffs for the panthers. Im also literally quoting his teammates. Sam Bennett himself said he has a nasty side

We never got to see him in a playoff game in Vancouver so maybe he ramps it up a bit then.

In two full regular seasons here, the guy was about as much of a muffin as an NHL D could possibly be.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We never got to see him in a playoff game in Vancouver so maybe he ramps it up a bit then.

In two full regular seasons here, the guy was about as much of a muffin as an NHL D could possibly be.
You're also forgetting he hated playing for the canucks and had zero motivation to do anything

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're also forgetting he hated playing for the canucks and had zero motivation to do anything

Not good for you guys if he hates playing in a Canadian market, then.

But he was always glowing about Vancouver when he was here.

And he was also a giant useless muffin watching a lot of him in Arizona before we got him.

If you think OEL is going to be a physical presence for you, you are going to be horribly disappointed.

• Wow
Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad