Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Weird game. Oilers were totally dominant in the 1st period, but could only get up by 1. Then, one opponent shot later and it's 1-1 and all Oiler-momentum is gone. This is somehow the story of this season -- the pieces, offensively, seem fine, but the team needs too many shots before they can score. I can't figure it out, because it sure wasn't a problem in the latter half of last season. This year, they'll dominate shots, like, 45-12, and then lose the game.

Anyway, that dominance lasted only for the 1st period and then they were caved-in the rest of the game. Foegele's brainless penalty also helped in handing further momentum to the Canucks. (Foegele is complete ass this playoffs.) I don't know what to say about Ryan McLeod. He just has poor offensive skills and judgement. He's a good penalty-killer, and he can skate like the wind, but it all adds up to nothing as he can't beat a goalie cleanly, he never goes to the net, and he never hits anyone.

Did anyone notice that one sequence in (I think) the 3rd period, at 2-2, when the Foegele - Perry - McLeod line was having its one good shift of the night? The D (Kulak?), I think, had the puck at the blue-line and was about to shoot or pass towards the net... but, suddenly, McLeod, who was positioned on the blue-line, is dramatically calling for the puck. So, Kulak gives it to him and McLeod tries a one-timer slapper from the blue-line. Yeah, no. McLeod, you cannot even score from 2 feet, so you sure can't score from the blue-line. It just looked pathetic.

Credit to Pickard, who I thought was great. He is stopping all the ones he's supposed to stop, which is better than Skinner was doing.

Bouchard.... I mean, it is what it is. He giveth and he taketh away. Merde happens I guess.

My general impression of the Oilers lately -- since the All-Star break, more or less -- is that the supporting players are either too slow (Perry, Ekholm, Desharnais, Ceci) or they are fast but have zero hands and zero scoring touch (McLeod, Kulak, Holloway, Janmark, Foegele, Brown).

It somehow summed-up Connor Brown's season when he had the cleanest, 1-on-1 look of any forward on either team in the 1st, and he... shot it into the goalie's chest.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Our GM didn't build our team for that. Our D is mostly stick wavers, Nurse included.

Almost every Canucks D is cross checking and hitting guys at every opportunity.
This , the lack of physicality is because of how the team is constructed… it’s a finesse team

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Any ideas on when, what this is specifically? Because this has been McD from start of season, game 1.

One inconsistent bit though. McD more than ever is trying that play where he bounced it in off some goalies ear. really I wish he'd stop. he tried it again tonight. It hasn't worked in around 5mths. he can certainly elevate the puck. Maybe not with much mustard on it.

With McD, really, it seems the same as always. That not only does he not elevate for playoffs, he's not even as good in the playoffs. If he doesn't change this it will become a narrative. A great player obviously, but in the history of hockey a lot of greatest players that have names on cups have better production in playoffs, and better goal scoring in playoffs. Drai is checkng all those boxes. Too bad it seems like Connor spends too much energy in regular season. Still hasn't learned.
Ok this is a ridiculous post… 97 was a beast the last two playoffs…. This is the first year he has looked like this

Reactions: Fishy McScales

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I am still angry at that last shift. Our best players were brutal with 40 seconds left causing them to score in a game 5 in round 2 of the playoffs. Unacceptable imo

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Feels like they were sick tonight. I think we will get a better effort on Saturday. We will see if it translates. Vancouver is opportunistic and Edmonton isn’t, in this series.

Just a shame we get good goaltending and some good bottom 6 performance but then we get that. Team never seems like they can put it all together.

Always feels like the team runs out of gas by the second round. I honestly think too many guys play hurt in the regular season and play through if rather than just take the time off. But when you mail it in the beginning of the season and take Decembers off, this is what happens.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Impressive no show from this team.

And of course Pickard shows up and everyone else takes the night off.

The team can only look at themselves after that performance.

Oilers in 7 cause 97 will not lay down a stinker like he had last night.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Feels like they were sick tonight. I think we will get a better effort on Saturday. We will see if it translates. Vancouver is opportunistic and Edmonton isn’t, in this series.

Just a shame we get good goaltending and some good bottom 6 performance but then we get that. Team never seems like they can put it all together.

Always feels like the team runs out of gas by the second round. I honestly think too many guys play hurt in the regular season and play through if rather than just take the time off. But when you mail it in the beginning of the season and take Decembers off, this is what happens.
They are built for regular season success fueled by power plays to cover up the flaws. When the grind gets real in the playoffs they are not hard enough to play against for consistent stretches of time and if the opposing team cracks the powerplay code then it’s over. As a result the oilers get more worn down than other teams. Who ever says after they play the oilers “that’s a hard team to play against, they keep coming at you in waves”. No thye say, gotta stay out of the box and stay disciplined or you’ll pay for it.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Thought J.T. Miller's game 4 post game interview where he took responsibility for the loss was inspiring and showed a lot of leadership.
Didn't get to see last night's post game interviews, but does anyone know if McDavid did the same?

Reactions: Kerberos

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Never forget that the Oilers GM search was essentially down to Bill Zito and Kelly McCrimmon. Then when Holland was fired, without doing any further interviews and going off the word of Steve Yzerman (a rival GM who fleeced Holland in two trades shortly after), Bob Nicholson truncated the ongoing interview process to hire Holland without doing any further due diligence.
I think McCrimmon was the guy the Oilers wanted but he extended and got promoted before the Oilers could even talk to him.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I am still angry at that last shift. Our best players were brutal with 40 seconds left causing them to score in a game 5 in round 2 of the playoffs. Unacceptable imo
They looked gassed. They’ve played a lot of tough hockey in the last few weeks
They need to bring it on Saturday obviously.
If they don’t, with our contract situation, our window could begin closing quickly

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Henrique and Carrick weren’t worth a first to begin with and wasn’t what we needed. We need goal scorers who could bring it. Henrique is another Nuge but old.
Disagree and I guess we may never know. But with Henrique, Oilers were able to split up McDrai. That made us a harder team to play against.
A RD was 1st priority but Makar wasn't available to us, neither were anyone else worth anything.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
He played good on the pp last year but was dominated 5 on 5 by Vegas top line.
Wasn't that Leon?

Thought J.T. Miller's game 4 post game interview where he took responsibility for the loss was inspiring and showed a lot of leadership.
Didn't get to see last night's post game interviews, but does anyone know if McDavid did the same?
Not really. He was the one who lost his man in Miller but didn't mention it, mostly called out the messed up line change.

That said, Connor definitely seems like he knows when he hasn't played well.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
They looked gassed. They’ve played a lot of tough hockey in the last few weeks
They need to bring it on Saturday obviously.
If they don’t, with our contract situation, our window could begin closing quickly

The window could realistically be over.

If Draisaitl makes any sort of indication he's "meh" on re-signing this offseason you have to move him for assets. No way you can let a top 5 player in the league walk for nothing.

You could probably take one more stab at it next year with assets acquired via a Draisaitl trade. But after that, could be it for them.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
The window could realistically be over.

If Draisaitl makes any sort of indication he's "meh" on re-signing this offseason you have to move him for assets. No way you can let a top 5 player in the league walk for nothing.

You could probably take one more stab at it next year with assets acquired via a Draisaitl trade. But after that, could be it for them.
Contenders don't trade away rentals, they aquire them.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That last goal was quite the display. Very sleepy play by Bouchard, and McDavid leaves Miller all alone. Also gave up the zone in record time with a bad change from Ekholm

The positive is that our top guys couldn't possibly be worse than this. Our bottom six and goaltending showed up. If we can keep that, and our top guys play like they should, we can win two more

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Wasn't that Leon?
Both of them really. 5 on 5 McDavid only scored 2 goals last playoffs. He had it going on the PP at least. This year he has neither.

That last goal was quite the display. Very sleepy play by Bouchard, and McDavid leaves Miller all alone. Also gave up the zone in record time with a bad change from Ekholm

The positive is that our top guys couldn't possibly be worse than this. Our bottom six and goaltending showed up. If we can keep that, and our top guys play like they should, we can win two more
We shouldn’t have even been in our zone. The whole sequence was just a culmination of weak soft play by our top guys.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Ask the Flames how that worked out.

They keep Draisaitl and he walks for free, will be one of the worst organizational blunders the team has ever made. If he won't sign, you move him.
Jackson won't allow this. Everyone learned a lesson after Calgary and Johnny g.

millax

Dec 24, 2005
What a frustrating series. The Oilers could have swept the Canucks. They deserved to win games 1 and 3 but we sunk by Skinner. They didn't deserve to win last night.. but were one shot away from stealing a game - something that Stanley Cup winning teams have to do.

Reactions: Kerberos

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Dude there's no way the team is healthy right now.
What are you going to do if you know they just can't perform.
Let's see what comes out.
So which team left is healthy? Is everyone on the team injured? Outside of Pickard it was a team thing throughout, completely outworked with lack of energy and much stupidity.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad